Cheapest Audio Interface with s/pdif

• Hi, I'm looking for the cheapest usb/audio interface interface with s/pdif connection. I saw someone selling a focusrite saffire LE for 40 euro recently but then I noticed it was only a firewire connection and I don't have one on my pc. Can anyone reccomend something they use thats quite cheap that has a decent s/pdif connection ?

• All the U-Phoria line of Behringer is dirt cheap, has pretty decent preamps, If any of those have an SPDIF in/out, that might be what you could be looking for. I reamp with my UMC 1820 completely fine.

The answer is 42

• I'm quite happily using AVID/M-Audio C400 with my Kemper wired to the SPDIFs and meanwhile do own two of them for different occasions and locations. Got the second one used but in very good condition for 40€ as well. I think that's the price where you should get something used (and in good shape).

• Great, thanks for that deadman42. Is m-audio and focusrite around the same in terms of quality ? I just watched a video which implied that m-audio is better and has less floor noise, although it was a different m-audio product than the one you use.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Although that said the volume on the focusrite seemed to be set louder in general.

• Any thoughts on the audient Id14, its a bit less budget and more expensive but second hand , people sell them as low as 100 euro occasionally. This company is supposed to be a cut above focusrite I believe ? Anyone using this happily using s/pdif without issues with the kemper ?

• Is m-audio and focusrite around the same in terms of quality ?

Can't really tell. I'd say they are pretty much all on the same level unless you go for higher price range and high end stuff like RME, Apogee etc.

M-Audio is linked to AVID who are the guys behind Pro Tools so when I initially bought it that was kind of a quality aspect for me. There are similar interfaces from Steinberg as well which are the guys behind Cubase. They are also decent but often do not have SPDIF as I need it. I'd say you better have a look at the overall features and just get one which suits from that end. SPDIF should work fine with all of them. And by the way I like the form factor of the M-Audio C400 a lot.

• Any thoughts on the audient Id14, its a bit less budget and more expensive but second hand , people sell them as low as 100 euro occasionally. This company is supposed to be a cut above focusrite I believe ? Anyone using this happily using s/pdif without issues with the kemper ?

My experience is that in this price range, you should go for features, and procure a low noise floor and great DAC (you wont need more than 24bit/48Khz for recording). Look for wathever has SPDIF, a couple of inputs, and good DA conversion. Audient has good DA conversion and outstanding mic preamps, but to be fair, in the end nobody uses inboard preamps for most of applications (you end up buying a rack preamp, tube or high end solid state). So whatever you find with SPDIF a couple of ins should be fine. Also drivers might be an issue, but this should normally not be of worry. I tried Focusrite, apogee, behringer and mor with my PC and no problems whatsoever.

The answer is 42