Bought a Headrush FRFR - sound is very boomy, is this common?

• I'm new to both the Kemper and the Headrush (got the 12 inch speaker version). Got it all set up and was surprised how boomy and bass heavy it is compared to listening to the kemper through my headphones. A lot of the stock profiles are crazy bass heavy. I'm using the speaker sideways on the ground as if it was a stage monitor.

Is this common? Am I missing something?

• Hello,

I am quite new to Kemper and FRFR Boxes.

I own a profiler stage and a Headrush FRFR 112 and I have the same issue that the FRFR 112 sounds boomy.

This is especially the case when I use the box at home. I know that the place where the box is positioned is not the best,

but I cannot change. So I need some help to get rid of the booming :)

I already reduced the bass in the Output EQ, It's a little bit better, but do not really solve my problem.

Do anybody have an additional hint?

I am also thinking about getting a FRFR 108 for home use.

Anybody any experiences with FRFR 108 vs FRFR 112? Is the FRFR 108 less boomy?

Or is there any other active FRFR Box recommended?

Thanks

Stefan

• Hi Stefan I use the Headrush FRFR 108 at home .It is also a bit boomy putting it off the floor on a basket pointing the speaker upwards helps ! My easiest solution is using an eq pedal in front of the chain - in my case dialing out all of the bass and setting the mids where it sounds best. Hope this helps!

• i been using a Powered PA speaker. Has a 12in speaker and a horn. Its made by carvin. Its def not wood and sounds like my studio monitor only louder. Maybe do some research on a powered PA speaker and pay particular attention to frequency response. I would suggest a 1×15 with a horn. My 12 doesnt keep up sometimes.

• Hmmm , as I have learned so far :) there is no global EQ except the "simple" one in the Output section.

So I need to add an EQ to each rig and switch it on/off in depending on the attached boxes.

And this EQ influences both, the monitor and the main out (at home I attach the FRFR112 to monitor out), right?

Because I have the issue only for one dedicated situation (home usage) I am thinking to add a EQ Pedal between

the Kemper and the box. I am interested to hear what the "long time Kemper guys" think about this.

I will also try to get the box a little bit off the ground with a "small stand".

Tx

Stefan

• Have you tried the contour switch on the back of the headrush? It is designed to dampen some of the boominess, hopefully enough to make it bearable.

Other than that I would first advise to never tweak profiles with headphones and always do so at gig levels. After that? Buy a better speaker before you go adding an external EQ. I've had good luck with EV ZLX's at just $100 more. GL

• Maybe I'm wrong here but.. separate EQ for Monitor Output and other outputs should be available in the output section.

That way you can EQ your FRFR cab (attached to the monitor out) without necessarily altering your tone on the other outputs (XLRs)

Isn't that so?

Kemper profiler Rack + Remote

ALTO TS212

• I'm new to both the Kemper and the Headrush (got the 12 inch speaker version). Got it all set up and was surprised how boomy and bass heavy it is compared to listening to the kemper through my headphones. A lot of the stock profiles are crazy bass heavy. I'm using the speaker sideways on the ground as if it was a stage monitor.

Is this common? Am I missing something?

Hi, @readysteadyjedi. The only thing you're missing (so to speak) is the listening through headphone vs speaker. It happened to me as well when I first got my EV ZLX-12p. You should try and start with the Contour Switch as mentioned by @Booyah. After that the EQ in the Kemper is the way to go. I personally keep the main output flat for FOH and use the Monitor Output EQ to to cut the low/highs if needed. Hope this helps.