The Kemper has lots of equalisers... Use them

• I just wanted to say that I really think that there hasn't been enough talk around these parts about using the equalisers in the Kemper to really sculpt your tone.

Honestly, a post-amp EQ can really transform a tone that you thought was good but not great. Think of it sort of like the EQ on a Mesa Mark series amp or a VHT/Fryette Pitbull.

The EQ lets you sculpt the sound to suit your guitar as well. Just put it after the input section to tailor what you're feeding the amp.

And post EQ, it has a radical effect that can make your tone stand out.

I'd recommend not going overboard (though you can do that as well), in my experience, start with a base tone and then put an EQ in the X slot.

Because the EQs have more frequencies to alter than the controls on the face of the Kemper, it allows you to fine tune your sound in a way that the controls on front or in the output section could ever do.

You could even use one to set up your Kemper for use in a variety of environments. Just create the EQ and then save it as a preset.

I just did a clip demonstrating how an EQ pedal in the loop of a real amp can completely alter it. Have a listen. First part of the clip is the raw amp tone, the second part is with the EQ pedal on. The EQ is in the loop, similar to how it would be after the amp section of the Kemper. Just a single tracked guitar.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I used to like the tones I was getting earlier, but I am completely blown away with how good they sound with the EQ on. Can't wait to do some profiling with one.

Try it out. You'll be amazed. :thumbup:

• Don’t overlook the EQ section presets as well. “Cut the mix” is great start for a tighter/punchier sound.

Working with eq mids can be difficult. You think you got it right then realize it’s a mess.

“Cut the mix” gets you to a great starting point if more tight punch is what you seek. It seems to be preset just right for most profiles. Tweak from there.

I usually open up a new bank and place the original untouched profile in the first bank preset.

I then copy & paste that profile to the remaining bank presets or move to the next bank and continue to paste if I plan to do alot of tweaking and comparing.

I’ll keep the original untouched and tweak the others. Then I can simply compare/contrast any tonal changes that I’ve made with the original.

Jotting down notes is a good idea. It can be difficult to remember what changes you made to each preset if you have a bank or two loaded with the same profile.

• I think using the EQs on the Kemper are a great way to save processing power on your computer later.

While a traditional EQ plugin is suited for sculpting things to fine detail, I've realised that the Kemper Profiler's EQs are "musical".

They effect just the right frequencies in order to carve a profile into shape for a mix.

For best results, do the EQing while reamping after getting all the instruments in there.

Remember, the best guitar tones are the ones where you don't do have to do anything to them to make them stand out.

• Sorry for the noon question, but maybe I have misunderstood the other posters, but from what I understand EQs can go in three positions: Before the stack, b/w the amp and cab, and after the stack.

The first and 3rd I know how to add....but what about adding after the amp but before the cab?

Are they referring to the profiles basic EQ (bass/mid/high)?

Or are they referring to adding an EQ in the loop (which in a normal amp is b/w the pre and post amps)? If this is what they are referring to, how do you do that in the Kemper with a virtual EQ?

And if adding a physical EQ in the loop, where exactly does that place it in the kemper since there really is no such a thing as pre and post amp?

• Sorry for the noon question, but maybe I have misunderstood the other posters, but from what I understand EQs can go in three positions: Before the stack, b/w the amp and cab, and after the stack.

The first and 3rd I know how to add....but what about adding after the amp but before the cab?

Are they referring to the profiles basic EQ (bass/mid/high)?

Or are they referring to adding an EQ in the loop (which in a normal amp is b/w the pre and post amps)? If this is what they are referring to, how do you do that in the Kemper with a virtual EQ?

And if adding a physical EQ in the loop, where exactly does that place it in the kemper since there really is no such a thing as pre and post amp?

In between the amp and cabinet buttons on the Kemper, there's an EQ button! Try that.

• Not on the stage...

Ah, you have a Stage. They wouldn't have left out the section though, it must be in either the rig or cabinet sub-menu. I'd recommend reading the manual, since I know that at least the profiling function is accessed by pushing two buttons together. Otherwise, just look in one of the sub-menus, the manual will tell you where.