Kemper sounds thin without cabinet

• hey guys ;)

When i play my favorite profiles with the kemper over a 4x12 marshall cab it sounds awesome, but when i play them over studiomonitors with the cab simulation on, it sounds much thinner and powerless.

Do you have any tips for me? Would be great! :thumbup:

I tried to make it sound better with the cab settings and it really gets better but not near as good as it sounds with a "real" cab.

• This is a common issue if you're used to a guitar cabinet. Guitar cabinets roll off a lot of high end and low end on a tone, and reproduce the sound in a different way than a studio monitor, which is designed to be flat.

Another big factor is that profiles are basically the sound of a miced up a guitar cabinet, rather than a guitar cabinet. As such, there is a marked difference in comparison to playing directly through a cabinet, which is an amp in the room sound.

You'll just have to acclimatise yourself to hearing the FRFR (full range flat response) sound as opposed to an AITR (amp in the room sound).

Rest assured the FRFR sound is the best way to judge a tone that is going on a recording, since you are mainly interested in getting a miced up guitar tone. It is also important to use this FRFR sound when playing live, as you can send your main outputs to the FOH and it will sound killer, just like a miced up cab on stage.

• Okay, that makes sense! But why does the sound example of the profile sound much better than the profile when I play it with my kemper. I mean both sounds come out of the monitors so there shouldnt be a difference, right?

• Okay, that makes sense! But why does the sound example of the profile sound much better than the profile when I play it with my kemper. I mean both sounds come out of the monitors so there shouldnt be a difference, right?

In your first post you compared the cab in the room sound vs the mic’ed cab.

What you mean by the sound example of the profile? What are you comparing now?

• Hey, i recommend you to test some Merged / D.I profiles .. and load the Ownhammer / Celestion Plus .. IRs in it.

i notice a more "fuller" sound on studio monitors with IRs.

There's a lot of mics and cabinets you can test, and so you can get the most desired result with it.

Otherwise, with studio profiles you can test "Pure Cabinet" option and maybe a EQ ..

• Don't forget your guitar, which makes a difference monitors being the same.
    Of course player's hands make a difference as well.

I'd anyway start by checking that Input settings are optimised for the guitar.

This comes from Kemper Group on FB.

Still chasing a worthy one :/