Kemper profiles for cab and direct

• new to kempers. I’m trying to get my profiles dialed in ahead of a tour. I Have the power rack and I’m going through and tweaking profiles. I want to run my cab for stage sound but run the direct signal to front of house and monitors.

The issue I’m having is when I dial in a tone to sound good through the cab, it sounds bad direct and vice verse.

One thing I’m noticing is that turning the cab simulator off on most profiles gives me a better tone through the real cab but that’s probably also what’s making it sound bad direct.

anyone have any tips for me?

• Ideally, you do the following:

Turn 'monitor cab off' in the output pages (press output and scroll) - this will mean that you don't hear the cab emulation through your powerhead>real cab, but it will still be there on the direct outs (xlr) to FOH.

Preferably (and this is presuming you don't live in a million pound studio - genuinely hope you do!):

Best: Dial your profiles for FOH using a FRFR at gig volume (this removes the acoustics of your monitoring situation)

Dial your profiles for FOH using studio monitors (if a treated room - fab!)

If no other option: Dial your profiles for FOH using reference headphones - though even high quality reference headphones respond differently to speakers of any sort.

Those are most important as thats what the crowd hears.

For your real cab monitoring, select the profiles you just optimised for FOH - then click the output button again, and look for 'monitor out' eq...here you can change JUST the sound of what comes through your cab. It will not affect the sound you dialled in for the main outputs to FOH. You will probably need to add a db of mid, treble and presence. Just to brighten things up.

Good luck.

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Ahhh ok. Sounds complicated but It makes a lot of sense. Going to play around with that for the weekend and try to get comfortable with it. Thanks so much for the advice!

• You're welcome - it'll be dead easy once you've done it a few times!

What style/tones are you after?

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Modern High gain but clear and punchy. Like a tight high gain with a big bottom. I’ve had a Mesa boogie electrodyne and a Bogner Uber on the road for a while so I’m starting with those profiles

• I cannot stress enough to try the profiles through FRFR or alternatives as described. Cabs add so much colour that you will not hear a duff profile through them easily as Greg suggested.

Cab sim will not affect the FOH through the main outs. I use a similar set up, real cab plus direct into FOH. Make sure you are switching the cab sim off as described, not just switching the cab off on the font panel...

Also, look into merged profiles - they will act as a direct profile when using a cab ( a profile without a cab included) and full profile with cab for FOH.

• I am new to Kemper and i have the powered head. If i am running a guitar cab from the cabinet output and i turn OFF cab sims going to the guitar cab, How do i turn ON cab sims for the output going to my computer AI/monitors for when i record and wanna use the cab sims? Can this be done? Having one output with sims off with another output having sims on?

Thanks