60 cycle hum only on main outs -SOLVED-

• Hi,

even if I switch the phase it is still humming. Direct and Monitor Outs are silent. That´s the strange thing about it.

I checked cables and changed preamps (it´s my recording setup). Still humming.

Guess it´s the Kemper. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

St. Fuzz

• That sounds strange. I’m afraid I don’t know the answer but here are a few thoughts which you may have already tried but its all I can come up with.

It seems strange that this only affects the main outs. This could be a hardware fault. Alternatively, are you using XLR on the main outs? Could it be a bad cable? The main outs are balanced (even the 1/4” jacks) could there be an issue with the interface and balanced inputs?

You mention 60hz hum. Are you in a county with 60hz or 50hz power? Have you tried changing the power setting in the system menu?

You mentioned changing phase. There is no phase change on the Kemper are you doing this somewhere else or are you referring to the Ground Lift buttons?

Do you still get the hum with only one main out connected? If it is a ground lift issue maybe there is a problem with your interface not isolating the the two inputs.

If none of this works I would raise a support ticket as it sounds like there might be a hardware problem.

Good luck

• Hey Alan,

thanks a lot for your ideas!

Ok, no I´m in a 50 Hz country:) I´m always confused with this.

I didn´t know that the Main Outs 1/4" jacks are balanced as well! I´m pretty that this is the solution! I will check this and let you know...

Phase switching....noooo, I meant "ground lift" coffe before writing would´ve been a good idea:)

Thanks again!

• Could it have anything to do with your PC monitor? My KPA hums pretty badly when I face it. Also the position of the PC to the guitar has something to do with it.

You don't happen to be using P90s, do you?

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Wheresthedug :

Hey man,
    I tryed balanced XLR cables today and the hum is gone! Thanks a lot for this idea! Problem solved and happyness arised:))

Locrain :

thanks to you, too man! I thought about the PC monitors, too. But the hum occured without monitors and laptop as well. And even without plugging any guitar...

And yes, I do love my P90. But the hum was a different one...