Headphone EQ

• Hey everyone. I played a while tonight just listening through headphones and I found the sound very harsh with my standard settings that I use through my Adam A8X. That makes perfect sense and is no biggie. So I went to both the master and monitor EQ and tried to drop the presence and treble. The changes to neither of the EQs changed the sound in the headphones.

I then played with the profile EQ and then the sound changed in the headphones. Is that the correct behavior for the EQs? I thought through the headphones I would be getting the same signal as what the master output was getting? If something's wrong then I guess I'll try a reset. But before I do that can you tell me how your headphone output works?

Thanks in advance for any the help.

• master eq doesn't work with KPA headphone input. I don't like using phones connected to the KPA because of the harshness you refer to. Phones sound OK though when I plug them into my soundcard.

Vintage amp obsessive

Edited once, last by professortweed ().

• I wonder why they chose that behavior for the headphone out. Would like the signal to be the same as the master output.

• I just hooked up a headphone amp to the monitor out and even without any eq it's infinitely more usable than the headphone out.

• Suddenly tonight all my outputs were much lower. I didn't change a thing. I tried the headphone out again and low and behold it sounded perfect. I love the KPA but thank god I don't gig anymore. This instability is just odd and would be disconcerting if I gigged. Now all I have to do is push the rig volume a little up and dime the headphone out and it's perfect, it's bliss. I really hope the KPA folks get in front of these issues before it gets a bad reputation because they have something special here but the half-baked implementation might be hard to outgrow.

Edit: I rebooted a number of times and the output volumes stuck. I wonder if the output volumes were dropped in 1.08 final. Although the output for the headphones have dropped a ton and I need to max the headphone volume, increase the rig volume and increase the cabinet volume to get a satisfactory level. This is still better than how it was before. Jeez.

Edited once, last by hoth ().

• We have no further report of volume dropped. So we are not working on any issue.
    It is quite unlikely that the volume drops by sudden, and stays there even after a reset.

• We have no further report of volume dropped. So we are not working on any issue.
    It is quite unlikely that the volume drops by sudden, and stays there even after a reset.

I havent noticed it either...things looking up :) just need an itunes styled editor for the kemper now!! ;)

Thanks CK. I am afraid to do a reset now because the headphone output now sounds great. If I reset again or if it reverts to the previous extremely hot output, I will try to troubleshoot to see what exactly happened. Thanks.

• So to provide an update: to use headphones I run the monitor out into a little Mackie mixer I bought. The KPA sounds great through it and everything now has been very stable for me for a while. I think it sounds even better through headphones than through my Adam A8x. And haven't had a volume drop since the last reset I did over a week ago. The tone is fantastic for me generally so :thumbup:.