Clean volume louder than distortion volume

• This seems to be my biggest issue using the Kemper. My clean sounds are louder than my distortion sounds. I've tried setting the clean sense. It only seems to work setting it at about -9. Do I have to set every clean sound to that value to match my distorted sounds? Seems like a lot. There's also a big difference between playing it in your room and playing on stage also. You actually want your distortion louder than your clean in a live situation. You will perceive it completely different on stage with a band playing. Bottom line, I do not want my volume to decrease when I hit the distortion that's for sure. Any tips? Thanks.

• Hi.

Try to balance / adjust clean rig volume with the "Volume" knob ( NOT "Master Volume" )

and press "Store" . Volume changes are then stored to that rig :)

Same goes for dist. rigs.

Takes some time to do if you have 800+ rigs :P

Same "problem" synth players has had since late 70´s with different strong vs weak sounds ......

I´ll know, I´m one of them ;) ( still got my Prophet 5 in my studio ) 8)

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Thanks. I've tried that before also but probably the best option :thumbup:

• Thanks I'm aware of that. But is that normal to have to cut the clean sense to -9?

in your original post it seemed that you were under the impression that you have to set it manually for each rig. The clean sens parameter value goes from -12db to +12 dB to cater for a wide range of guitars. As long as your guitar falls into this range everything is fine.

• Yes ... And maybe the fastest "on the fly" adjustment while sound checking / rehearsal ??? :/

As an "old" FOH tech i would recommend a "moderate" difference between clean and dist

volume, approx 3 - 5 dB, so you don´t kill your FOH tech or his equipment ..... 8o

Cheers !

• Hi where i can find the volume knob?

• I was thinking the knob on the front ( if you have the "Toaster" or the "Rack" model )

That´s why it´s so easy to adjust "on the fly" while rehearsing or sound checking ...

A warning though , before pressing "Store" , make sure the ONLY adjustment is

VOLUME ! Any other changes will also be stored, if you made any =O

• I have to set mine around -7 to stop the cleans overpowering the dirty sounds.

So do you lock the clean sense for all rigs or adjust per Rig if needed? I'm still trying to dial in 1 guitar and haven't even started on a second one yet.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• Don't mind, if you have your profile stored with Rig Manager on computer. Changes on the Kemper will only be stored locally on it.:)

True ... but then if you reinstall the rigs from RM the "old" volume settings of those rigs

will be back in the KPA and you´re back to square one with uneven volume settings :P

Cheers !

• As said: Use clean sense. Take any rig. Turn down the gain and compare the volume with gain at full. Adjust clean sense until the volume doesn't change between no and full gain. Then lock input settings.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• So do you lock the clean sense for all rigs or adjust per Rig if needed? I'm still trying to dial in 1 guitar and haven't even started on a second one yet.

Yes I have the input section locked all the time. I find all of my guitars are close enough in output level that I never tweak the clean or dist sens once set.