Using the KPA like a Torpedo C.A.B?

• Hi, I know that it was not possible a few time ago but as I am far from the KPA discussion since a while I was wondering if updates have bring the KPA to this possibilty. So the question is:

Is it possible, at the moment, to separate the preamp part from the poweramp part of a profile and use the KPA as a poweramp+cab simulator? Or as a preamp only?

Pierre

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• Hi, I know that it was not possible a few time ago but as I am far from the KPA discussion since a while I was wondering if updates have bring the KPA to this possibilty. So the question is:

Is it possible, at the moment, to separate the preamp part from the poweramp part of a profile and use the KPA as a poweramp+cab simulator? Or as a preamp only?

Pierre

It has always been possible and it works great. I tested it by connecting the effect send of my Marshall JVM410H with the return of the KPA. You need to activate the effect loop on the KPA and deavtivate the amp+EQ Section and just use the Cabinet section. The results are amazing. Best Cab emulation i ever heard and sounds even better than the Redwirez IRs i used before i had the KPA.

• It has always been possible and it works great. I tested it by connecting the effect send of my Marshall JVM410H with the return of the KPA. You need to activate the effect loop on the KPA and deavtivate the amp+EQ Section and just use the Cabinet section. The results are amazing. Best Cab emulation i ever heard and sounds even better than the Redwirez IRs i used before i had the KPA.

Thanks for the answer! What confuse me now is that in the setup you had you sent the signal from the "send" of your Marshall so there was no power amp in the chain? ?( ... So is the power amp in the cab profile? Or sort of?

Pierre

• I just found in the FAQ that when you profile the preamp section only of your amp then feed it back to the poweramp of your amp using the profile it will give the same tone as if you use the physical preamp (this part is logical to me). AND you can send the profiled preamp in any profiled cab then the to FRFR too (now it's where I'm lost...).

So, again, I assume that the poweramp part of a complete profile ( preamp+poweramp+cab ) is in the cabinet part or mostly. Some light please? :)

Pierre

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• Is it possible, at the moment, to separate the preamp part from the poweramp part of a profile and use the KPA as a poweramp+cab simulator? Or as a preamp only?

Pierre

Unfortunately not. This was my first request here.

Edit: sorry the second request

• Unfortunately not. This was my first request here.

Edit: sorry the second request

So you tried what the other users suggest and it did not work for you?

Sorry to bother with all my questions but my purchase will depend of all of your answers! :) :) :)

• See the answer of tyler, he's right. What you cannot do is use it only for cabs because a good part of the power amp is profiled together with the cab, and you would still need a dummy load going out from the real power section of your amp

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• So you tried what the other users suggest and it did not work for you?

Sorry to bother with all my questions but my purchase will depend of all of your answers! :) :) :)

Yes. But as you said:
    "What confuse me now is that in the setup you had you sent the signal from the "send" of your Marshall so there was no power amp in the chain? ?( ... So is the power amp in the cab profile? Or sort of?"

I have done also as you said:

"I just found in the FAQ that when you profile the preamp section only of your amp then feed it back to the poweramp of your amp using the profile it will give the same tone as if you use the physical preamp (this part is logical to me). AND you can send the profiled preamp in any profiled cab then the to FRFR too (now it's where I'm lost...). "

Actually this is the first thing I have done, switching on the KPA for the first time, and the result was excellent.

Apart of all this, if you decide to buy the KPA , you will own one of the best piece of gear ever.

Edited once, last by grorig ().

• See the answer of tyler, he's right. What you cannot do is use it only for cabs because a good part of the power amp is profiled together with the cab, and you would still need a dummy load going out from the real power section of your amp

There is some coloration of the poweramp section. But that doesnt mean you cannot use it this way, it works very well if you pick the right cab profile that works nicely with your preamp.

About the dummy load: a good amount of tube amps allow to use the preamp section while the power amp is off (standby mode on/off). My JVM as well as the Rivera M-100 can be used this way. Very comfortable for silent recording.

• It seems that the KPA is very flexible for a lot of configurations.

Thank you guys for all of your help!

Now I have to wait the release of the Kemper in Canadian stores (CSA approbation matter... :().

• a good amount of tube amps allow to use the preamp section while the power amp is off (standby mode on/off). My JVM as well as the Rivera M-100 can be used this way. Very comfortable for silent recording.

Wow, I was missing that! Shall check how my Lonestar Special behaves.

Thank you Tylerhb X)

• Wow, I was missing that! Shall check how my Lonestar Special behaves.

Thank you Tylerhb X)

You´re welcome... Even if your amp doesn´t allow this you can use another workaround if you want to do silent recording at bedroom levels.

1. You have to connect a speaker cab or dummy load to your speaker out.
    2. Connect your effect send to yout KPA
    3. connect a dead or nonpowered stomp box or anything like that with the effect return of your amp

You can now even turn the power amp section of your amp safely and without any loud noise because the poweramp will get almost no signal through the return. If you want just the preamp sound it is a nice trick...