Profiling with a Suhr Reactive Load IR

• I did a quick test this evening making a profile with the Suhr Reactive Load IR, everything went smoothly and it is really nice being able to make profiles without a guitar cab and mics. Of course now the whole issue of which IR (the rabbit hole) comes into play, so in this case I simply chose an IR that I had previously used for a demo of the BE100 with good results.

I haven't taken the time to really test the resulting profiles but my initial impressions are good, it seems to work fine using the Reactive Load IR to make profiles. During the A/B test I couldn't tell the difference when monitoring through a CLR cab.

I've tried making profiles with the Torpedo Live in the past and I just wasn't happy with the reactive load portion of the unit, it isn't bad, it just didn't suit me like the Suhr Reactive Load does.

Anyway, I don't have time to record a demo but I wanted to share the profiles in case anyone wanted to check them out. The amp is the Friedman BE100 (my favorite amp of all time), I'm not going to say which IR I used so please don't ask.

There are three files, the last letter tells you which format the profile is.
    D = Direct Amp
    S = Studio
    M = Merged

This way you can compare the Studio and Merged profiles if you want to or you can use your own cab with the Direct Amp profile if you want to. I like options :)

https://wecomcorp-my.sharepoint.com...lPmEQT4vMNjpYBP10hG4mRdQJdSe2_jxLemw?e=LtgBju

Amp Settings:
    Channel: BE
    Voice: Left
    All other option switches: Off
    Pres: 5
    Bass: 4
    Mid: 8
    Treb: 8
    Master: 2
    Gain: 7

Other than refining the profile I made no other changes, I didn't feel the need to, the results were so close that I couldn't tell the difference between the profile and the amp through the CLR.

EDIT: Here's a quick recording test to show how the Studio, Merged and Amp sounds compare. Here is what you will hear, but not in this order, can you tell which is which?

Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Amp-->Reactive Load-->DAW
    Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Kemper Studio Profile-->DAW
    Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Kemper Merged Profile-->DAW

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• When I first got my Kemper I did some test profiles using my Suhr RL (non IR) and applying IRs afterwards. Some results were good, others not so much.

Last night I went back and revisited some of my profiling attempts (I've been primarily using some Tone Junkies profiles as well as a few others). I'm in a temporary living situation (small condo) so I don't have access to any of my amps for continuing profiling. But one of these really jumped out at me. It's a profile I did of a Bugera 1960 Infinium (a 100 watt Marshall Plexi clone) that I profiled from my Suhr RL and put on two separate IRs from Celestion's Lynchback IR set. When I originally created the profile (all of them in fact) it was before I really understood much about the Kemper or it's tweaking feature set. So I dove in a tweaked a few things and holy moly - that profile is a fire breathing monster! At least as far as I can tell through my Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro headphones. I look forward to giving these a listen on Saturday's gig where we usually have adequate time to do such things (some gigs, setup and soundcheck are in a loud noisy bar environment, stuffy private party, etc....).

• I updated the OP with a quick recording comparing the Studio profile, Merged profile and the amp through the Suhr Reactive Load to show how close they all sound, can you tell which is which?

Regardless if you like the tone or my playing (haha) would you agree that the Kemper makes great profiles with the Suhr Reactive Load IR? Can you imagine the possibilities?

• When I first got my Kemper I did some test profiles using my Suhr RL (non IR) and applying IRs afterwards. Some results were good, others not so much.

Last night I went back and revisited some of my profiling attempts (I've been primarily using some Tone Junkies profiles as well as a few others). I'm in a temporary living situation (small condo) so I don't have access to any of my amps for continuing profiling. But one of these really jumped out at me. It's a profile I did of a Bugera 1960 Infinium (a 100 watt Marshall Plexi clone) that I profiled from my Suhr RL and put on two separate IRs from Celestion's Lynchback IR set. When I originally created the profile (all of them in fact) it was before I really understood much about the Kemper or it's tweaking feature set. So I dove in a tweaked a few things and holy moly - that profile is a fire breathing monster! At least as far as I can tell through my Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro headphones. I look forward to giving these a listen on Saturday's gig where we usually have adequate time to do such things (some gigs, setup and soundcheck are in a loud noisy bar environment, stuffy private party, etc....).

That's what it's all about!

• Can you expand on that, they sound different in what way? Wouldn't the difference in sound give you a clue as to which is which?

Well if you insist ;)

1. Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Kemper Studio Profile-->DAW (sound is most natural and dynamic)

2. Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Amp-->Reactive Load-->DAW (sound is more compressed. Slightly less mids)

3. Guitar-->Ditto Looper-->Kemper Merged Profile-->DAW (sound is more flubby in the bass. Reminds me what some times happens with IR's)

I'm probably way off lol. They all sound good btw.

• Nicely done, you guessed correctly!

• Do you prefer any of them over the others, or do you use each for certain applications/tones? Thx

I like them all for different applications. The OX is the most different when set to DI but has good speaker models with the ability to do two mics at different mixes and then a 3rd room mic. It also has nice eq, compression, delay and reverb options. I haven't used the OX a lot though.

There are situations where one will not work well at all to capture the amp and another will be much better. Generally I am referring to capturing DA profiles but I have also ran them into IRs for experiment.

Some amps take them all pretty well.

It's kinda like mics, pick the right one or pair for the job.