Transpose - tightening it up?

• for what its worth i used to use the transpose and thought it was gash.

I use it now in the rig button settings, and it seems to sound better in there.

U just save the transpose as a full rig rather than in a stomp.

Try it, see what u think !

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Don't see the point in using a stomp slot for it.

• The transpose effect was updated with latency reduced not long ago. Use it as a stomp if you want the smooth chords facility.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• The answer to your question is Digitech The Drop.

I use it for my dropped songs (drop B and drop C) as 1st position stomp (before distorsion and overdrive) and it sounds awesome: 0 latency and very natural tone.

It is probably the best pedal of the market for this purpose.

The Whammy DT is just a Whammy and a Drop in the same pedal. Or to put it another way the Drop is just the DT part of the Whammy DT sold as a stand alone unit.

• The latency should be the same in Rig or Stomp format if you don’t use Smooth Chords or Constant Latency features which are only available in the stomp menu.

What are we classing as constant latency features, purely out of interest ?

I thought the old transpose and pitch shifting was terrible to be honest. I can deal with a degree of latency, but as another poster put it 'artifacts'

Used to really get on my tits.

Odd warbles every now and again at fluctuating pitches.

To be fair i havent tried the pitch shifting or harmonies for ages. But judging by the transpose, they have been tidied up.

I think its really good. Not perfect but close enough.

I dont want to be drop tuning with a floyd and messing around re setting up the truss rod and messing with string gauges.

Love it.

• KEMPER PROFILER Main Manual 7.0

Constant Latency

Normally, latency is optimized dynamically be as low as possible. However, in some specific configurations e. g. playing through multiple PROFILER units simultaneously and mixing their output signals this dynamic optimizationcould cause phasing issues. "Constant Latency” avoids such issues by keeping latency at a fixed, defined level.

• KEMPER PROFILER Main Manual 7.0

Constant Latency

Normally, latency is optimized dynamically be as low as possible. However, in some specific configurations e. g. playing through multiple PROFILER units simultaneously and mixing their output signals this dynamic optimizationcould cause phasing issues. "Constant Latency” avoids such issues by keeping latency at a fixed, defined level.

I rad that but never understood it.

So it increases the latency so you can have a higher, but fixed latency? Otherwise the unit tries its best to keep latency as low as possible? How does this operationally impact using the transpose function?

• Ikm not 100% certain but my understanding is that there is always latency with any digital system. Firstly it needs to convert the Analog signal to Digital. Then it needs to process that signal. Some process may take longer than others. For example just tweaking the tone a little or adding a little more gain is unlikely to be very processor intensive so should add little latency. Whereas, other algorithms like Reverbs may need longer to process the effect. With Transpose there is likely to be two stages adding latency.

The first is unavoidable. In theory it takes at least one full cycle to tell the pitch to be transposed. I don’t think many devices can do it in a single cycle though, so allow two or three cycles. The lower the note being transposed the slower the sensing of its pitch will be.

The second is the time it takes to process the now sensed note and transpose it to the new pitch. This shouldn’t take any longer for low or high notes and shouldn’t introduce any additional latency for larger transpose intervals. However, as a note is transposed its formants change and make it sound weird. In order to make the transpose sound believable the processors must adjust the formants which may (i really don’t know) take longer for larger transpose intervals than small ones and might account for the additional latency some people feel when transposing more than a few semi tones. The more you process the signal the more likely thee is to be additional latency added. Therefore, constant latency gives everything a fixed amount of latency that should be enough to cover most worst case scenarios and avoid multiple devices suffering phase issues.

I’m no expert on this and don’t do programming so maybe someone with more hands on technical experience can explain it better but I think that is pretty close in layman’s terms.

• I say buy a baritone guitar, they are plentiful and cheap, new and used. Danelectro even has one with a whammy bar. Or, just take a second guitar and put heavier strings on it, tune to C.

The Line6 Variax has a digital capo function that works but I still prefer a second guitar tuned down.

• I say buy a baritone guitar, they are plentiful and cheap, new and used. Danelectro even has one with a whammy bar. Or, just take a second guitar and put heavier strings on it, tune to C.

The Line6 Variax has a digital capo function that works but I still prefer a second guitar tuned down.

It depends. If it is just for a few songs at the most, use transpose. Great tool and you don't need another guitar for the song(s). But if anyone use different tunings, of course it's better to buy another guitar. All my guitars have different tunings.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Im tempted to buy a 7 string.

Trying hard not too.

Bought an ibanez 7 and moved it on as i wasnt that keen.

Im very fussy with set ups. And it does my head in re setting up for different tunings.

But the transpose cures that too a point.

• a tuned guitar is always preferable to an artificially affected one, but as previously said it depends on how often. I use transpose if just for the occasional song although in my band we now do 4 or 5 songs in D so I have a guitar set up permanently for that including heavier gauge strings

Ive often thought about a baritone but I wouldn't use it that much, BUT great excuse to buy another guitar!

• In my very limited experience, all drop effects ( by necessity) have latency and artefacts.

In my humble opinion, Kempers built in transpose is as good as any.

Indeed the Kemper transpose is one of the best I have ever used. I can play Sweet Child O' Mine down a half step and it's spot on and feels tight enough. I never thought that this would be possible but it is...

• So far, I haven't used the transpose live for anything, but as I mainly play a Strat with a floating trem, and I tune down a half-step, it is really great when working up covers that are in standard.