Pure Cabinet (Do you use it?)

• Hi everyone!

I just got my Kemper Stage about 2 months ago and I love it so far. By far, the BEST gear purchase I've ever made. I currently use it for recording, and for my live setup.

I was wondering what others think of Pure Cab, and if they're using it for Live and in the Studio, or just for Live use.

Do you guys prefer it on only lower gain profiles? Or all of the above?

I honestly really like the way most profiles sound with and without Pure Cab. It's almost like with or without Pure Cab, it's just a different take on the profile being used.

Which led me to wonder how others are viewing Pure Cab. And wether or not it's being used in the Studio, as well as Live.

What's your take on Pure Cab? And How do you use it?

• I set mine to taste per profile.

I mainly play high gain profiles, and I noticed that a lot of them like it, but some not at all.

And it really varies per profile, so can't see the benefit of setting it globally.

And I'm talking about live playing, haven't tried it out when recording.

• I use it live with 4 or 5 profiles ( clean crunch and lead mainly ) and it works to my ear.I don't use a monitor cab or anything , just stage monitor or in ears. Works well for my ears....

We all have different ears too remember

• It's great to hear that others are enjoying Pure Cabinet as well ^^

I'm really liking what it does to most profiles at a low setting (.1 to .8). I use mostly mid gain and high gain profiles. I've read a lot about people not liking the way it affects high gain profiles but so far, I like the way it smooths out a lot of harshness. However, I can also see what some people mean when they say it takes away some of the cabs resonance and some of the uniqueness of each cab in a profile. But is that because Pure Cab is taking out the harshness that's typically associated with cab resonance? Or what do you guys think?

I'm really interested in if others are using this in the studio for recording in particular. And if so, how does Pure Cab change the guitar tone? And in your opinion, does Pure Cab sound good for recorded guitar tones, or not?

• I still have to take a listen and try this. I always thought this was more for if you were running into a power amp and traditional cab but my assumption here was probably wrong.

• I dont use it.

But I can see where it can be a benefit but I always urge everyone to try new profiles with it OFF so you know what the actual profile sounds like then turn it on to see if it helps for your situation.

Edit: I always wonder when someone says most profiles sound similar if it's due to this being active.

I completely agree with this. Everyone should definitely try their profiles with Pure Cabinet OFF in the "Output" section (without it off here, it will still be activated, even at 0 in the "Cab" section.).

I always try this first and then experiment with low levels of it. I have it OFF in the "Output" section and set it individually per rig in the "Cab" section.

In my opinion, it smooths out some of the harshness at low settings, but at higher settings can start to add some high frequencies in not too fond of on most high gain profiles.

My main question I guess would be, what people think of using it for recording? And how can it benefit your tones while recording?

And by low settings of Pure Cabinet I mean usually less than 1 (I seem to prefer it at .3 - .5), and that's if I end up using it at all. It's about half and half for high gain profiles.

• I still have to take a listen and try this. I always thought this was more for if you were running into a power amp and traditional cab but my assumption here was probably wrong.

I'm not sure if Pure Cabinet affects your tone if your Cab if disabled and you're running your Kemper through a power amp and traditional cab. But I'm not totally sure to be honest lol.

I was under the impression that it was a parameter meant to smooth out harsh high end frequencies that are often associated with mic'd up cabs. Almost like it's supposed to take out whatever harshness is caused by the mic used for the profile to give a more "in the room" type of sound. But that's just what I've always thought from what I've read and my experience with it.

Do you use it for recording? I'm trying to figure out the general consensus on using it for recording. Everyone seems to have an opinion on it for Live use, and I can totally see how live you would want a more amp in the room sound and feel. But for recording, I'm wondering if people are leaving it off and dialing out harshness is post processing? Or if people are using it to get the effect of it for recorded guitar tones too?

• I'm allergic to phase cancellation in the higher frequencies, so I use it to minimise this where needed.

This is its intended use, so Sean, most of your questions, including the recording-related one, are answered by this "basic" understanding. Phase cancellation in the HF area is often perceived as harshness, as you put it (aptly IMHO), so this would explain your observations about its smoothing of said frequencies.

Often metal engineers employ mic'ing techniques that encourage a harsh edge (caused by phase cancellation brought about by off-axis mic'ing), particularly to the attack portion of sounds used for rhythm parts, 'cause this allows the tones to poke through mixes more-easily, and this, IMHO, explains why we hear more metal guys saying that they seldom, if ever, use it.

• I'm allergic to phase cancellation in the higher frequencies, so I use it to minimise this where needed.

This is its intended use, so Sean, most of your questions, including the recording-related one, are answered by this "basic" understanding. Phase cancellation in the HF area is often perceived as harshness, as you put it (aptly IMHO), so this would explain your observations about its smoothing of said frequencies.

Often metal engineers employ mic'ing techniques that encourage a harsh edge (caused by phase cancellation brought about by off-axis mic'ing), particularly to the attack portion of sounds used for rhythm parts, 'cause this allows the tones to poke through mixes more-easily, and this, IMHO, explains why we hear more metal guys saying that they seldom, if ever, use it.

Thanks for your explanation! That was a HUGE help towards getting a solid idea of what Pure Cabinet does, and how/why people use it.8)

I hadn't taken into consideration, that phase cancellation might be intentional and might be part of the sound intended for a specific profile. And now that I've heard it explained as you just did, It makes so much more sense why I haven't been hearing about many people using it on high gain profiles, especially for recording.

I wonder, in instances where phase cancellation is intentional for a studio profile, if those profiles would benefit from Pure Cabinet in a live setting. Because the tone was used to cut through a mix in the studio, but it might sound smoother and more "alive" in a way with Pure Cab being used at a low setting. And by that I mean, in my opinion, profiles that sound a little harsh can sometimes sound more rich and alive in a way with Pure Cabinet, if it isn't being used at a high setting. I'm sure others won't feel the same, because we all have different preferences and opinions. But in my opinion, Pure Cab can make a profile sound a little more alive and rich at a low setting. But on the other hand, it starts to smooth out some of the frequencies that some people might say make each profile unique.

Although, I must say, I experimented with my 5 favorite profiles right now, and tried each back to back, and then again back to back after setting Pure Cabinet to .3 on each rig, and the profiles still sounded REALLY DIFFERENT in comparison to each other even with Pure Cabinet ON. I think when some people are saying that they think Pure Cabinet makes profiles sound the same, that the Pure Cabinet setting they're using for their profiles might either be a high setting, or at least the stock 3.0 global Pure Cabinet setting, and when I use it, i'm only ever using it at .6 or lower.

What range do you typically dial in Pure Cabinet around?

And again, Thanks for your explanation !

• Wow, awesome to have been able to nail the critical elements for you, Sean! My pleasure, mate. <3

What range do you typically dial in Pure Cabinet around?

2.5->3.5 typically. There are no rules of course 'cause these things depend entirely on the source sound, the sound desired, and the end-users' ears. I'd say 'though that for fans of the process who apply it globally, most use settings below 3.5, but some, such as Robman, are happy with much-higher levels of mic-signature removal.

I wonder, in instances where phase cancellation is intentional for a studio profile, if those profiles would benefit from Pure Cabinet in a live setting. Because the tone was used to cut through a mix in the studio, but it might sound smoother and more "alive" in a way with Pure Cab being used at a low setting. And by that I mean, in my opinion, profiles that sound a little harsh can sometimes sound more rich and alive in a way with Pure Cabinet, if it isn't being used at a high setting.

Interesting question, mate.

Given that IMHO live venues, especially at the lower end of the spectrum (the less-fancy ones), tend to exhibit harsher high-end responses due to poor acoustic design and / or equipment and employing of lower-tier engineers (one has to generalise in these situations, unfortunately), you'd think that smoothing the high end of guitar tones would help ameliorate said response. It's just my (and your?) "theory", of course, and every situation's different, but generally-speaking, I feel this approach may have merit. Ideally one would tweak Pure Cab™ during sound check IMHO, but then one day, using RM 3, the FOH may be able to tweak the parameter as-needed... with the guitarist's permission, of course. :D

Again, honoured to have been able to help, Sean, and FWIMBW, reading your "new take" on Pure Cab™ gives me the impression that you've got a solid handle on it now, probably more so than we "average" Kemperites. :pinch:

• Again, honoured to have been able to help, Sean, and FWIMBW, reading your "new take" on Pure Cab™ gives me the impression that you've got a solid handle on it now, probably more so than we "average" Kemperites. :pinch:

You've definitely been a HUGE help! ^^

Thanks for your wisdom and kindness , it's much appreciated!

It's been a pleasure getting your experience and take on Pure Cabinet and it's totally increased my overall understanding of it, and given me some insight I definitely didn't have before! Thanks for letting me pick your brain lol8o

• what a great place we have here,, with guys like monkey man on the job,, thanks SO much for all the help/advice over the years, Im not sure if the mother ship knows just how helpful this place is to us, no tech guys,,THANKS ALL<<<