Suggestions finding Pink Floyd, Def Leppard and other Profile tones

• Greetings Kemper World,

I've found a few Gilmour/Floyd profiles, but as amazing as he and his sound are, I'm surprised there aren't a lot more, for free or purchase.

Any suggestions for Rig Manager searching appreciated. I type Def Leppard and get nothing.

Thanks!!

• The Rig Exchange is built around “amps” and their subsequent profiles as opposed to a particular artist. There are some exceptions to this and I have been lucky to find a few based on an artist - however that’s more of a rarity from what I’ve found.

What I’ve done is think about it from the perspective of what amps they used in the studio and start there. For example, Def Leppard used Rockmans a lot back in the 80’s (especially on Hysteria) and there are some VERY good Rockman Profiles. I personally suggest the MBritt “Rockwoman” and then add your prerequisite chorus/reverb/delay for that sound.

That’s at least my approach.

• Phil Collen used the Marshall JMP-1 for a couple of decades at least. I'm not sure the Rockman sounds would translate so well in a live situation. They used all sorts of techniques in the record which made the sound of those albums.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I thought I read they didn't actually use Rockman's, but this interview from 2012 Phil Collen confirms:

"What Mutt does” turned out to be a lot of things that weren’t being done at the time, particularly on rock records. From a guitar perspective, is it true that there are no traditional amps on Hysteria and that you and Steve Clark played all your parts through a Rockman unit, which is essentially a headphone amplifier?

Pretty much. I used a small Gallien-Krueger amp on the demo for “Love Bites,” which made it on to the record, and also on a bit of “Animal”—that little feedback thing in the intro is me leaning hard on the Krueger. But otherwise the sound is all Rockman. And the reason for that was there were so many layers of tracks, and the sound was so huge that if you had had a massive Marshall sound it wouldn’t have fit sonically. The guitars would have smothered the vocals and drums. They really had to fit in a specific slot. Plus, Steve and I weren’t playing straight power chords; we were doing all these inversions and partials and different things that required definition. That would have been lost with a big, overdriven-amp sound.

The fact that the Rockman was developed by Boston’s Tom Scholz is an interesting connection. Even though those first few Boston albums were recorded before he invented the unit, was the sound that Tom achieved with Boston a template for what you were doing on Hysteria?

Absolutely. Big time. You listen to “More Than a Feeling” and then some of the stuff we were doing, and it’s almost like part two of that, if you like. Boston had incredible vocal sounds and the guitars were great. A Boston record is so well recorded and it does everything it’s supposed to. At the end of the day it wins all around. That’s what we were trying to achieve."

Ironically, Tom Scholz did not ever use Rockman's on Boston albums. He used Marshall Super Lead; Plexi... I know there is another rare small amp people used that gets confused with the Rockman. Can't think of it now...