Stage: first rehearsal with a band

• sound is always different in different scenarios, home, rehearsal, gig indoor or Outdoor. Don't waste too much time or money for absorber, just play. You can not controll all physic conditions??

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• It’s not only “interesting” it’s basic acoustic physics. If the owner is interested in isolating his rooms he should read Home Studios Build It Like The Pros by Rod Gervais. Rod was the contractor who build many studios including The Power Station (now Avatar I believe). As well as lots of practical advice including construction drawings there is also a great section at the back of myth busting to save you wasting money on stuff that doesn’t work.

Thank you very much, again.

Sad thing is I don't think he's going to rebuild the four rooms. He is not making a lot of money these days. I'm willing to pay for a nice sounding rehearsal room, like the ones I used to play in when I was in Berlin, but the rest of the band don't care too much about that (and this rooms are the only ones close to the night life area, you know).

Anyway I'll tell him all this valuable information. Maybe he could start, at least, thinking about it.

I'd really like to read that book you talk about. Let's see...

• sound is always different in different scenarios, home, rehearsal, gig indoor or Outdoor. Don't waste too much time or money for absorber, just play. You can not controll all physic conditions??

Thank you.

I know what you're talking about

I don't have those problems onstage because I use IEM. It's our sound man who cares about it. But, if I'm paying for a room, I'd like it to have a nice sound, you know.

BTW, our sound man keeps telling us to use the IEM at the rehearsal room, but it's a problem, because the room is shared with other bands so the idea of miking the drum set every time is not viable.

I've tried to convince the band to get our own rehearsal room a few times. They don't see the need for it.

• One thing you could try: I noticed you said you only made slight tweaks to the EQ. Betting if you create an EQ preset and tweak it heavily to approximate what you are used to hearing, you could just recall that preset in the X or mod slot whenever you're practising in those carpet-treated room.

That's a good idea. I can copy the performance I'm using and add that eq in every slot.

Thanks.

• Did you ever use Room EQ Wizard (https://www.roomeqwizard.com) ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This helps a lot to analyse your room / speaker and speaker position.
    I use it also to analyse any location we play right before the sound check, to find out resonance and best EQ starting point.

Be the force with you ;)

• Did you ever use Room EQ Wizard (https://www.roomeqwizard.com) ?

This helps a lot to analyse your room / speaker and speaker position.
    I use it also to analyse any location we play right before the sound check, to find out resonance and best EQ starting point.

Wow!

That looks fantastic! And the microphone is much cheaper than I'd expect for that kind of use.

Definitely something to consider. A little complicated but it's sure worth.

Seeing the second video, the man says when you start the test you should get away so your body won't interfere with the measurements. I think: shouldn't you be right there? You're supposed to be there, interfering with the sound, when you are... there.

Just kidding (a little kidding and a little serious). Yes... That's the way my mind works.

Thank you very much. In a few hours I'm going to get a Headrush FRFR108 at the local shop and I'll ask for the mike.

• Yes the REW software is amazingly powerful. There is quite a steep learning curve and you do need to super precise with mic placement etc if you are going to use it to make changes to a room and compare the difference between before and after. It is used frequently for tuning studio control rooms where you are concerned about frequency response, decay times, phase relationships etc. However, for just checking your rehearsal room you should be able to figure out what you need to know pretty quickly.