Connecting the Kemper digitally to a soundcard

• Good post. OP keep in mind that the Twin doesn't have spdif output so you must reamp in the analog domain.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited once, last by musicmad: Changed input to output ().

• Ah sorry yes. Output.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• thanks for the link!
    Would a cheap one not do the trick?

Is there really more latency going in digitally? If it’s a lot more it wouldn’t make sense for me to go that route then.

The only reason I’m planning to use the optical ins is that I can keep my analog ins free for microphones when recording acoustic guitars and vocals.

• Would a cheap one not do the trick?

It should work as well, just haven't tried this particular model :)

Is there really more latency going in digitally?

Sadly there is no easy answer to this, apart from the difference not being much.

It basically depends on many factors ... a few factors being:

1. Does your interface support "Direct Monitoring" (for analog and digital inputs) and do you use it?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, what latency does the DA conversion in your interface for direct monitoring introduce?

3. Does the optical/coax converter introduce any amount of latency?

4. If you don't use direct monitoring but prefer to monitor through your DAW, how does the audio interface handle the conversion from S/PDIF audio stream to USB audio? Is there any latency introduced?

It's pretty much impossible to exactly tell what the result is unless we try with exactly the same setup you'll be using. It can differ with other setups/gear.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, it should be well below any perceivable difference, probably a couple of samples more or less. :)

• In that case I’m not that bothered. As long as it’s not notable and loads.

Stupid question:

Usually on digital signals you can send more than 2 channels. I’m guessing with the Kemper being a SPDIF Output I can only send stereo, right?
    Would be awesome if I could send both the dry stereo and the effects stereo seperate through the digital outs.

• Lots of good info here.

For those of you who haven’t used the UA interfaces: Their conversion and monitoring is crazy low latency and absolutely stellar.

For cheap interfaces, I’d say going S/PDIF is beneficial for my our sound quality. From my experience with UA, I’d say don’t bother. Analog is A-ok :thumbup: