A simple question on profiling results

• You can get a lot of different profiles - free and commercial - for and from the same amp models. And people swear on what they've chosen or made. So, if these profiles of the same amp are really sounding so different as these guys say: Why is this so? I always thought the Kemper profiler itself deeply suckles the soul of an amp out of it?

Ok, I understand that an amp with (very) different channels must be profiled for all these channels.

- But given one channel which will be profiled by someone: Does it matter how the EQs or gain or volume on the amp were set?

- The Kemper starts profiling with it's own secret/strange attacks on the amp, and only when this is done, you can invoke the Kemper to do some refinements, when you play some chords with your guitar.

- And then: will the result of these refinements depend on the guitar you are using? On the selected pick-ups? On the volume of the guitar? On the attack to strings by the player?

- Further, ignoring if you profile by microphone or digital interface: does the resulting profile depend on the input level given to the Kemper?

This are some of my questions, when reading about profiles and their misteries.

• There are a lots of variables involve in making a profile. I few I can think of...

Starting with amp itself, no two amps from the same manufacturer will sound exactly the same. Some amp companies have tighter QC than others when it comes to tone. So there's always differences. Plus, vintage amps in particular change tone over time based on the durability and use of the tubes and other components.

The signal chain when the amp was profiled has a huge effect on the end results for better or worse.

The way the amp is set up in gain staging and EQ is snapshotted with the profile. That's why it's good the have many different profiles of the same amp to capture those settings without trying recreate them within the Kemper.

According to most things I've read, the refinement process doesn't depend on what pickups are used. It's mostly to get a better measurement of the transient response of the sound as you play your guitar.

As long as you're not clipping and/or not giving enough signal to the Kemper return, the input level isn't as important. You just want to keep it where you can max the level, thereby reducing the noise floor, and not clip the input of the return.

• And don't forget: the cab including the speakers, the mic and the pre-amp are profiled as well. Heck, even the cables and the room could have an influence on the sound. So there are a lot of variables to take into account while profiling one and the same amp. And no two guitarists will set one amp to the same settings (gain, eq, volume, whatever), so there are the multitude of profiles available for free and for sale.