Control Delay/Reverb Mix with Expression Pedal - please!

• I'd like to add my request to the others I've seen in the forum for allowing control of delay mix with one of the expression pedals. I frequently use patches with long delay and reverb times. The problem comes when I have to end a song or a section and do a hard cutoff of the delay/reverb tail. I've experimented with the parameter that allows delay tails to be cut off when changing rigs - that's okay, but I don't always want it and it's all or nothing.

If there is another way to accomplish this I can't find it. To summarize: I need to be able to hard cut off delay/reverb tails at will.

Literally everything else about the Kemper is exactly what I'm looking for - so I hope someone will come up with a way to do this!

PS, I know it can be done using the morph feature, but I use that for a lot of other stuff so it's not available for this one thing when I need it.

Many thanks,

jhgmusic

• Thanks to paults and Wheresthedug for your suggestions. I thought of putting the volume at the end of the signal path. However, for my application it won't work. I use the volume pedal for swells, in particular when also using long delays and reverbs. In this case we want to allow the delay/reverb to continue even if we bring the volume pedal to zero for the next swell. If we put the volume at the end of the signal path, then it also shuts down the delay/reverb when brought to zero.

Putting the volume directly after the stack allows this to work properly *except* for not being able to mute the delay/reverb tails when necessary.

I will try changing the position of the delay and reverb effects to stop spillover, but that will require me to change rigs to silence tails - and that's not ideal.

For today's gig, I'm going to try setting the second pedal also to volume, but will put it at the very end of the signal path. That way I can use the first volume (post-rig, but pre-fx) to do swells, and I can use the second pedal to shut down everything when I need a hard cutoff.

I've looked at some hardware from Midi Solutions - they offer a small box that converts expression pedal to MIDI CC. That will definitely work, but it'll cost between $120-$150 for the box. I'd rather see a software update that allows us to do this with one of the pedals plugged directly into the Kemper.

I saw a disturbing entry from another forum user looking for the same thing - he stated he had exchanged emails with someone at Kemper on this very subject, and that Kemper didn't think this was worth looking into.

Maybe not to some, but for those of us that need to be able to do swells with long delays and then be able to choke off the tails, this is the way to go.

I know I can use my volume knob on the guitar, but that's a problem with high gain patches - we don't want the amount of distortion to change during the swell, and if we use noise gates (common) then the volume sweep is not smooth - you'll increase the guitar volume with no result until you hit the noise gate threshold, and then suddenly it's on.

I'll report back on setting the second expression pedal to volume. It's a workaround but by no means ideal.

Thanks again,

jhgmusic

• Well, the only way to (kind of) get this to work is to set up the second expression pedal as Monitor Volume. This allows a hard shutoff of what is going to my stage rig. It's okay for the moment because I'm running everything through a mic'ed guitar cab instead of coming direct out of the Kemper.

Really need independent control of the delay mix. If Kemper doesn't come up with a software solution then I guess I'll have to get one of the Midi Solutions boxes. Hate having to spend over $100 for what I believe should be a software feature. It's either that or use a stand-alone delay unit with its own expression pedal. But the whole idea of the Kemper Stage was to eliminate the need for more pedals. :)