Rig Manager 3.0 Beta Release Discussion Thread

• The whole Win 8/10 thing is counterproductive for Kemper IMO. Think about it. People have only so much disposable income. If they have to buy a new computer when they otherwise wouldn't need to, that is a chunk of change gone west that they could have used for something else. How many people would have to buy a new PC instead of a Kemper Stage to cancel any advantage the they got out of not having to support an OS still used on 400 million PCs?

Consider also you could buy a second hand PC with Win 7 for $100 US or less if you didn't have one or more of them lying around.

What about a potential switcher who currently edits patches on his/her GT1000/ Helix/AFX box from their Win 7 PC. Should they switch now that there is an Kemper editor? Well, hmm - they willl need a new PC AND the KPA. Suddenly, that is a steeper hill to climb. Hmm, maybe later.

• The windows 7 debate is pointless I'm afraid.

I know its frustrating for those still on windows 7. I ran XP for years before upgrading, but as most will know, there are only so many OS's you can account for.

Its sensible for Kemper to have an N-1 approach ( windows 8) and not go any further due to resources and cost etc. I sympathise and I'm not a fan of the constant need to upgrade but it is the way of software and there is virtually no way of avoiding it.

• Updated today (unwillingly) to mac os catalina. Re-installing rig manager did not help. Neither an update of xcode to the newest version did help. Nor deplugging all devices and bundling it with plenty of restarts.

Rig Manager still does not want to run on my machine.

Same here (and I'm not that happy about OS Catalina either, GarageBand not working anymore - will have to fix that later). RM crashes as soon as I plug the Kemper into my MacBook. I've tried several things, even chanting mantra, but it still doesn't work. So frustrating....

• Just released 3.0.79 beta with the following improvements:

- fixed: crash in startup on macOS

- fixed: crash on quitting Rig Manager while editing an RX Rig

- fixed: crash when editing while multiple windows are open

- fixed: startup crash on Windows 8

- fixed: performance tempo could not be enabled/disabled on macOS

- improved syncing with PROFILER

• Thanks but it's still not working on my mac (OS Catalina). RM crashes as soon as I plug my Kemper...

• I can confirm that everything helped in my case. Rig Manager now running on macOS Catalina and Kemper perfectly synced now. Thank you very much Kemper team for this fast fix!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• The whole Win 8/10 thing is counterproductive for Kemper IMO. Think about it. People have only so much disposable income. If they have to buy a new computer when they otherwise wouldn't need to, that is a chunk of change gone west that they could have used for something else. How many people would have to buy a new PC instead of a Kemper Stage to cancel any advantage the they got out of not having to support an OS still used on 400 million PCs?

Consider also you could buy a second hand PC with Win 7 for $100 US or less if you didn't have one or more of them lying around.

What about a potential switcher who currently edits patches on his/her GT1000/ Helix/AFX box from their Win 7 PC. Should they switch now that there is an Kemper editor? Well, hmm - they willl need a new PC AND the KPA. Suddenly, that is a steeper hill to climb. Hmm, maybe later.

There is no need to buy a NEW PC you can upgrade to windows 10 still for free !!!

Here is the how to:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Be the force with you ;)

• There are lots of Win 7 era machines that just don't run Windows 10 properly. If you're going to persist with it I recommend ensuring you have at least 8GB of RAM. I've got an old laptop from around 2008 that's been Win 10 for years and no issues. On the other hand we have older graphics workstations at work that just won't cope with it, even though they've got decent specs.

• Some things that I think would improve or add to the Rig Manager.

1. The parallel path toggle should be reflected in the RM chain so that position of pedals is more intuitive, just like on the profiler.

2. The tuner should be available either as a ongoing ever-present tuner in a visible part of the RM like the one over the chicken head knob or the full tuner should be available if needed via a toggle.
    3. The looper should be available for rig and effects auditioning and have a way of saving the contents of the looper for later retrieval.
    4. The editor pane should be resizeable given the focus of the editor isn't the profile lists at all but the editor functions themselves.
    5. Allow for manual input of values under each parameter.
    6. If using graphic eq, a graph should be shown with adjustable freq ranges and Q instead of knobs. It would be great if you could put a live spectral graph of the guitar cab output so as to offer a frame of reference for eq shelving high and low.
    7. The editor should be available even when the profiler is not connected, if only to be able to build rig chains and enter values for rigs and then pass those changes to the profiler when connected.

Feel free to add or amend as you see fit. :)

• All

If you are upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade option be aware that you may encounter a lot of problems with BSOD.

The best way to do it is to backup your data, complete the upgrade Windows 10, ensure Windows 10 has activated, download a Windows 10 iso and use Windows USB/DVD to make a bootable USB then install again. Also if you download the ISO make sure you download the Windows 10 1909 version as you will require a lot less updates.

Overwriting the OS files led to a lot of problems during migrations I have worked on, a fresh install is always best but make sure Windows 10 activates, then it is tied to your computer for as many installs as you wish.

Don't forget to download your Windows 10 drivers first just in case the network adapter driver does not work (generally always does)

Apologies if this is useless information.

Mike

• There are lots of Win 7 era machines that just don't run Windows 10 properly. If you're going to persist with it I recommend ensuring you have at least 8GB of RAM. I've got an old laptop from around 2008 that's been Win 10 for years and no issues. On the other hand we have older graphics workstations at work that just won't cope with it, even though they've got decent specs.

I've upgraded half a dozen 7 boxes thus far, but I put the details in the Other gear - Windows 10 thread to keep from distracting from the RM discussion in this thread.

TL;DR - so far, so good.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• How do we switch cabs? Also on Mac Load Impulse Response option is greyed out.

But this editor is top notch!!!!!

Thank you Kemper

If the Cab exists as a Preset, simply drag and drop the preset onto the Cab block. If it doesn't then lock All But Cab and drag a rig with the cab you want to use onto the Rig you have selected in the editor.

If you want to use that Cab regularly drag from the cab section into the Preset list and it will be there from now on.

You should be able to just drag an IR from your desktop or any folder straight into the preset list on RM. It works on my Mac with 10.15.1

• Job well done, Kemper development team.

I have not put the Editor through serious paces yet (added morphs, performances, etc.) but everything has been working fairly solidly so far, and I am enjoying the experience of being able to get more in-depth with tweaking.

I did have Rig Manager crash once, I was auditioning IRs and I noticed the sound wasn't changing. Shortly afterwards RM crashed. Opened right up again with no problem. For what it's worth, this is far more stable than my experience with Rig Manager back in 2017, which would crash regularly.

I am running Catalina on a 2018 MacBook Pro. This was on the original Beta, haven't tried the new one yet.