Free Windows 10 Upgrade, from Window 7 or 8.1 - For RM 3.0

• Hey all,

A lot of us here are IT, so many may already know this, but for those who still have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for absolutely free. This includes the Pro and Ultimate versions, if that is what you started with. If you have the Home version, you get the Windows 10 Home version from the upgrade.

Here's how - download the Media Creation Tool to the PC that you intend to upgrade, run it, and follow the prompts:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Of course back up your data first, but I have done this process on over 100 PC's in the last 6 months - it has never failed or corrupted any data.

Enjoy the new RM 3.0!

Thanks Kemper Team!!

EDIT: If you are concerned with privacy issues in Windows 10, install 'Shut Up 10', to regain control over your privacy settings:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• The beauty of this upgrade is that it preserves your PC exactly as it is now, it just makes it Windows 10. All of your user profile data is migrated.

If there's anything that's not compatible, be it hardware or applications, the upgrade process will notify you clearly, and you can back out of the install.

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• also worth mentioning:
    for win 7 lovers
    there exists "Win 10 Enterprise LTSC"
    it updates ONCE every 2-3 years and has no apps
    no toys or bloatware or any feature updates leaking from the bathroom of MS
    its f***n stable
    just bare beautiful empty windows.

i paid allot for an open licence
    about 260 bucks .

• Done here flawlessly. Took a while to install but Win 10 is working as good as Win 7 was working previously.

Important note: I had previously installed Win 10 from Win 7 before when it came out as a free update. But my SSD died recently and the new Win 10 installation was causing problems on this PC. That is why I decided to go back to Win 7 and update from it to 10 using the method proposed in this thread.

• Thank you. I did from Windows 7.

Every time I try to switch the computer off, I get a blue screen that says: stop BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER. And it restarts again. I have to do a hard switch off every time.

• Thank you. I did from Windows 7.

Every time I try to switch the computer off, I get a blue screen that says: stop BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER. And it restarts again. I have to do a hard switch off every time.

NDIS= Network Driver Interface Specification. Your network card is having problems.

Do you have a Desktop PC, or Laptop? Do you use a network cable, or Wi-Fi?

• So you are no longer getting the BSOD (blue screen of death), and everything is working correctly with Windows 10 now?

• No. Everything seems to be working correctly. Both Wi-Fi and network cable work ok.

But when I try to switch off, when it looks like it's off, the blue screen appears and the computer restarts by itself. I just can keep the on/off switch pressed until the computer switches off.

When I switch it on again, everything is there. No data lost.

Here you have a picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/…0WSMKLG/view?usp=drivesdk

It says:

There has been a problem in your PC and it needs to restart. We are getting info about it and then it'll restart.

To find more info about the problem and possible solutions, go to https://www.windows.com/stopcode

If you call for tech support tell them "stop code: BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER".

I haven't find any solution going there.

Thank you.

• It definitely sounds like a Network Driver problem.

If you're able to get in to Device Manager, look at your Network Adapters, are there any exclamation marks?

Go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, and uninstall any Network Card software you see in there. If you have an Intel network adapter, look to see if there are any software applications, like Network Access Manager, remove anything in there that belongs to networking. Same with Realtek network adapter software.

If that doesn't work, try forcing your Network adapters to update their drivers:

http://windowsbulletin.com/sol…er-blue-screen-error-fix/

Let us know how it goes.

• Hello!

I've been so busy this weekend I had no time for the computer.

I'll try to do it this morning.

Please, let me ask you something: The computer seems to be working properly excepting the blue screen when I try to switch it off, so... Is it dangerous to use as it is and just make a hard switch off each time I use it?

It's probably a stupid question. I apologise in advance.

Thank you again.

• The computer seems to be working properly excepting the blue screen when I try to switch it off, so... Is it dangerous to use as it is and just make a hard switch off each time I use it?

I'm glad to hear you can at least use your Win 10 laptop.

The problem with leaving it the way it is, with the BSOD at the end of your session, is that one time it may actually corrupt your drive, or boot loader - for not shutting down properly, particularly in a Microsoft Update scenario.

Are you sure you have all of your updates for Win 10? Go to Updates and Security, and make sure you have no updates waiting to be installed.

• For what it's worth to those still on 7, over the course of the past week or so I've upgraded all my 7 boxes (three 64 bit desktops, one 32 bit desktop, one 64 bit laptop, three 32 bit laptops). This includes my studio box and my office / software dev / video editing box, who have the bitchiest environments. Did an in-place upgrade to preserve all apps and data, all systems appear to be working fine.

There was one adventure with 1809 (I had an old disc) and my NVidia video card. Apparently 1809 broke a lot of drivers, but with help from people on the Blackmagic forum (I use Resolve for video editing) I learned that it was fixed in 1903. The current build from the Media Creation Tool at present is 1909, which installed without issue. That's now the version on all my boxes. No other problems thus far.

Stupid Windows Tricks (Windows 10 version)

You IT guys probably already know this but just in case...

A pet peeve of mine has been the "You need Administrator permissions to yada yada..." prompts.

But I am an Admin, dammit!

(and I have UAC set to never notify)

This has bugged me since my first foray into 10 and I've finally found an answer. Thought I'd share with the class, in case it annoys anyone else as much as me.

Did you know that there was such a thing as "Admin Approval Mode?" and that it's the default for a 10 install? It apparently means, "I know you think you're an admin, but we're going to keep prompting you for stuff anyway."

1. Run gpedit.msc

2. Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options

3. User Account Control: run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode

a. Set to Disabled

b. Reboot

As an example, try moving a folder from Program Files to C:\ and you'll get the "You need Administrator permissions..." dialog. Which, if you're an administrator, allows you to just click continue anyway so it's pointless beyond annoying you. After the reboot, the same operation happens without prompting. You know, as if you were really an Administrator.

Thank you. I did from Windows 7.

I've had good luck in the past with this free Nirsoft utility, Blue Screen View. It's given me additional information that allowed me to track down the actual culprit so I knew what to fix. It doesn't change or try to fix anything, it just scans the minidump files created by BSODs to give you a user-friendly-ish presentation of what happened.

Don't know if it will help in your case or not, but here's the link.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

EDIT: If you are concerned with privacy issues in Windows 10, install 'Shut Up 10', to regain control over your privacy settings:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Interesting utility. A lot of those settings look familiar. What does it do / access beyond what I can already get to as an admin in Settings?

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Earlier this year I had to upgrade from 7 to 10 on my main home computer as the latest version of Mixcraft was very unstable in 7. I put off the upgrade to 10 as I have a lot of engineering software and it was working, and I didn't want to mess it up. But the free upgrade went very well and didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. And it made the computer more stable to boot.

I think there was an app or two that wouldn't work in 10, like the old mixer console software that came with my M-Audio 410 Firewire audio interface. But the interface did work properly with my DAWs with Asio4All.

• Yes. Everything is updated.

That particular error seems to be more prevalent with the Wi-Fi adapter. If you still feel like fixing it, see if disabling the Wi-Fi adapter in Device Manager -does anything. If you disable the Wi-Fi, and then shut down, do you still get a BSOD?

You may also want to scan your laptop for Malware, it's possible you have a bug, use the free version of this utility to find out if you have Malware causing this problem:

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Interesting utility. A lot of those settings look familiar. What does it do / access beyond what I can already get to as an admin in Settings?

From the site:
    "Windows 10 wants to give users the easiest possible daily experience and in doing so very rarely forces you to actually read and confirm a security notice. Unfortunately, this simplified approach from Microsoft means much more data is passed onto them than many users would like.

Microsoft uses most data to display personalized information to you that is aimed at making your computer life easier. As an example, Windows 10 can remind you to set off to the airport 30 minutes earlier due to traffic en route. In order to deliver this information to you, however, Windows 10 has to access your calendar entries, your mails (i.e. the airline confirmation email), your location and it has to have access to the internet to get traffic news.

Some services protocol your entire keyboard entries, share your WLAN access data with your facebook contacts or connect your computer without asking permission to a public – and potentially unprotected – network. While this means that you and your contacts do not have to grapple with complicated WLAN passwords, it also poses a significant security risk.

Decide for yourself how important your “comfort” is when weighed up with your privacy and how to protect it. O&O ShutUp10 presents you with all important settings in one location – you need no previous IT knowledge and there is no need to manually change the Windows 10 system settings."

You can disable Updates, Telemetry and more. The login screen where they ply you with strange messages and quasi-advertising - is just one of the things I get rid of.

Edited 3 times, last by JSB ().