Free Windows 10 Upgrade, from Window 7 or 8.1 - For RM 3.0

• From the site:...You can disable Updates, Telemetry and more. The login screen where they ply you with strange messages and quasi-advertising - is just one of the things I get rid of.

Thanks. Although to be honest, I installed Windows 10 with a sense of resignation that Microsoft now owns the hardware I paid for and there's not much I can do about it if they want to flip some undocumented switch under the hood in the next update.

I'm trying to force myself to get warm and fuzzy with The Way Things Are and just adapt to the new 1984 world of technology. Of course, that would be easier if the cute girls I remember from the 80s came along for the ride.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Did the Win7 -> Win10 upgrade (64bit) without any issues. Thank you JSB for the tip! :thumbup:

Since, noticed 2 broken programs after the upgrade: Wavelab 7 (64) and Wondershare AllMyTube. For Wavelab I was able to find a batch that fixed it, but not for the Wondershare (which doesn't matter as I switched to another similar program that seems to work even better than Wondershare).

Haven't yet tried to install RM3 as I'm not into Beta testing, but will immediately as soon as the official Release version lands. Hopefully soon! 8):thumbup:

• Thanks. Although to be honest, I installed Windows 10 with a sense of resignation that Microsoft now owns the hardware I paid for and there's not much I can do about it if they want to flip some undocumented switch under the hood in the next update.

I'm trying to force myself to get warm and fuzzy with The Way Things Are and just adapt to the new 1984 world of technology. Of course, that would be easier if the cute girls I remember from the 80s came along for the ride.

The other dystopian alternative, that preceded 1984, is Brave New World - seems to be more of that one these days.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Hello!

It looks like it's solved.

It was as easy as uninstalling the "Wireless Network adapter", as you suggested. Then I clicked in "detect new hardware". Nothing seemed to happen, then. But no more Blue Screens and Wi-Fi works properly.

I'm very happy, now. I was scared. Couldn't think it would be so easy.

Thank you very much, again!

• I am very skeptical about this. I have been using Windows since DOS, and never had a completely successful version upgrade. I've always had to do full OS upgrades from scratch on an empty disc, and then spend weeks migrating my user data afterwards.

Maybe because my OS system is always modded beyond the OEM features. I'm sure I will have to re-install at least a dozen or more programs. Not to mention all those passwords to write down and re-enter. I don't have a spare drive to make a backup image of my current setup.

All this takes away from practice time which I just dread.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi, BayouTexan.

Windows 10 is not your father's OS. I've lost count of how many times I have updated Windows successfully in the past few years. Typically, there's no need to migrate programs or passwords. There were some issues with hardware compatibilities, but the upgrade process will tell you if there are issues. Oh - and even if you don't do an upgrade - consider picking up a cheap external hard drive so you can back up your current machine. You're flying without a parachute!

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Given that your time may be more valuable than money, I've found that Rig Manager will run on a very modest Windows 10 laptop. Right now, I have one of my Profilers running on a six-year-old Surface 3 tablet with an Intel Atom processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I was ready to retire it, but it works perfectly well for Rig Manager. Maybe you can find an inexpensive Windows 10 box or laptop and dedicate it to Rig Manager.

• I am very skeptical about this. I have been using Windows since DOS, and never had a completely successful version upgrade. I've always had to do full OS upgrades from scratch on an empty disc, and then spend weeks migrating my user data afterwards.

Maybe because my OS system is always modded beyond the OEM features. I'm sure I will have to re-install at least a dozen or more programs. Not to mention all those passwords to write down and re-enter. I don't have a spare drive to make a backup image of my current setup.

You can install a new full OS as well, just use you Windows 7 or 8 key. If you really dont trust it use a different drive anf if you dont like the results you can always just put the first drive back in.

• I just updated an original Microsoft Surface Pro (Feb 2013) to the latest version of Windows 10 (ver. 20H2) and installed Rig Manager on it. That's running an ancient Intel Core i5 with 4 gigs of ram. I've updated this little machine through every version of Windows since Windows 8.

It's working fine.

As you can see below - I'm viewing it through Windows Remote Desktop.

• That's one option ST . I have 2 laptops collecting dust in the closet. I know I have to eventually go to Windoze 10, but imagine my grief if I have to reinstall my DAW and 1,000 plugins. ;(;(;(. That's like 1000 days unless I quit guitar.

In the past it has taken me about 2-3 weeks to go from a new OS install to getting all my other programs re-installed. I always hated that.

• That's one option ST . I have 2 laptops collecting dust in the closet. I know I have to eventually go to Windoze 10, but imagine my grief if I have to reinstall my DAW and 1,000 plugins. ;(;(;(. That's like 1000 days unless I quit guitar.

In the past it has taken me about 2-3 weeks to go from a new OS install to getting all my other programs re-installed. I always hated that.

I dont understand.

I didn't have to reinstall my DAW...or anything else for that matter.

You download Win10 and and it takes over what you already have installed on you laptop/pc.

What am I missing here? I am confused.

• It's mainly the Registry that usually gets overwritten when upgrading Windows. I know it won't delete the programs form the harddrive but it deletes or overwrites the keys in the Registry causing you to re-install programs to work correctly. And every time you re-install a program you have the chance of old settings being overwritten. If all you have is just Windows and one program on your computer then you are pretty safe.

• The registry hive, and personal Profile data is 100% preserved. I understand you hesitance, but this is a non-destructive upgrade, you can walk right up to the precipice/point of no return, and then still turn back. You'll be notified of hardware/software incompatibility, which is extremely rare.

Try the upgrade on a less important PC, to gain your confidence. But the only thing this update changes is the OS version, all else remains exactly as it was originally installed, DAW, VST, config's, data mapping/libraries, etc.

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

Edited 2 times, last by JSB ().

• Did the OS upgrade (win7->win10) somewhere in 2020. The update itself went smoothly, but the earlier stable PC (quad core i5) started showing some random instability symptoms (random complete freezes and/or bsods).

In some point after M$ pushed a major version update and the bsods went nuts so needed to re-roll the update.

After some investigation the root cause started to point towards the motherboard which isn't seemingly Win10 compatible (ASRock H67M) and no newer bios FW available.

So now figuring out how much HW to throw in the trash bin. Performance wise fully useable for my current needs and build to be rather silent (fanless power supply etc.)

• motherboard only or
    • motherboard, cpu, memories or
    • everything :/

..to be seen..

• Thanks JSB . I will post how the upgrade went when I decide to do it (cringing).

You really will be impressed at how smoothly and easily the upgrade will go.

Widnows 10 works like a breeze, updated form W7 few years ago and never looked back. Previous update procedures sucked, I must admit.

• well... I knew it. After a 2 hour upgrade with 400mps internet speed. My windows 7 pro updated to windows 10 pro successfully with only 2 small programs i never used in years being not compatible. Sounds good, right? NO! The windows 10 update killed my internet connection. Now I have half a computer. I just spent another hour trying to find fixes on my phone to get my internet back. I am p ssd! No internet. What a joke. Wish I hadn't done this.

• Type Device Manager in the Start Menu, open Network Adapters, do you see anything in there with an exclamation mark on it?

EDIT: Is this a wired Ethernet connection, or WiFi card?

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• Type Device Manager in the Start Menu, open Network Adapters, do you see anything in there with an exclamation mark on it?

EDIT: Is this a wired Ethernet connection, or WiFi card?

Wired.

Here is how the install went. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro using the Media Tool posted by on the OP.

1hr 30min initial install and first auto-reboot.

Then a 30 min upgrade wait (with my internet connection working) then a second auto-reboot

Windows 10 Pro desktop notified me 2 programs were not compatible. One of them was PrivateFirewall7.0

2hrs 20mins later trying to find out why I had absolutely no IP Configuration via Command Prompt and System Settings after the second and final reboot.

**read this before trying the upgrade!**

**Make absolutely sure you "completely" remove ANY firewall software and antivirus programs before attempting the upgrade!**

I uninstalled PrivateFirewall7.0 and my internet connection immediately came back. Whew!

It looks like all is well!! (I was foaming at the mouth for while), and I am very happy I can use Rig Manager now! I have not tested any other programs yet except for my DAW but it looks like all my saved settings for games and apps are still there along with all my User folders. web passwords, email settings, etc.

Now I just have to get used to this crappy looking Windows 10 UI.

Thanks for the post. I just hope I don't have to do this again for another 10 years. ;) Time to play guitar!

• Thanks for the post. I just hope I don't have to do this again for another 10 years. ;) Time to play guitar!

Three won't be any other a Windows version as we knew before, 10 is final. Windows became a service which constantly gets updates. Time to play guitar!