[RM] Batch rename for rig tags

• It would be great if we could select a bunch of rigs and rename them within RM, ideally with a simple Find & Replace format. Would help to clean up collections and make browsing by Manufacturer much easier. Currently if I want to find Marshalls, they could be listed as '72 Mars, Arshall, Gondwana Mars, 87 Silver Jub, etc etc. When you have lots of profiles it makes browsing a pain in the ass.

Currently you can only rename profiles one by one which is a tedious process, so being able to select 40 profiles at a time and just replace the junk/pun names with Marshall in one click would make life so much easier!

• From the RM3 manual:

You can tag multiple Rigs at the same time. Select a few and take a look at the Inspector. The Tags which are not identical to all the selected Rigs will show “-- Multiple Values --”. Note that you can still edit the values, but be aware of the consequences of altering many Rigs at the same time.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• We talking about search and replace ?

maybe also with regular expressions ?

how about searching in subfolders for the beginning ... because this is also not working right now.

Be the force with you ;)

• To be honest I don't get it. The request was to batch rename a bunch of rigs. Isn't it obvious that all selected rigs will have the same name afterwards? I mean...I thought this is what you wanted?!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• OK, I've tested it now. It does work but there is a bug. Although all tag is updated in the ispector for all selected rigs this isn't being reflected in the main list window for that column. I changed both amp and cabinet data for several rigs. The inspector showed the new names for each one but the respective columns in RM still showed the old data.

• Although all tag is updated in the ispector for all selected rigs this isn't being reflected in the main list window for that column. I changed both amp and cabinet data for several rigs. The inspector showed the new names for each one but the respective columns in RM still showed the old data.

It's not a bug. The column shows the "name" tag. So if you batch-edit that field, it will be updated in the inspector. You have probably edit the "manufacturer" tag, but that is not the one shown in the inspector.

• It's not a bug. The column shows the "name" tag. So if you batch-edit that field, it will be updated in the inspector. You have probably edit the "manufacturer" tag, but that is not the one shown in the inspector.

I am aware of the various tags but this is unexpected behaviour.

I checked it with both commercial profiles (in case there was a protect feature) and my own profiles. The columns are not updating even though the same field in the editor is changed on multiple rigs. Pretty sure that’s a bug ?

• It's not a bug. The column shows the "name" tag. So if you batch-edit that field, it will be updated in the inspector. You have probably edit the "manufacturer" tag, but that is not the one shown in the inspector.

I come to you with my cap firmly in hand. You were righ. I was being a muppet :S

I was indeed looking at the Cabinet Name tag in the List as I had the Cabinet Model column hidden. but I was editing the Cabinet Model in the inspector so the two didn't match because, as you pointed out, they weren't meant to. That'll teach me for being a smart ass.:rolleyes:

• Here's the thinking behind the request...

If I'm looking for an amp, I tend to start with the manufacturer - ok I want a Marshall, or a Fender, or a Mesa etc...

I have the Tone Junkie Everything Pack, which has over 3000 profiles. There's no real order to them. For legal reasons they have pun names, which sort of indicate which amp the profile is based on - some are obvious, some are more obscure. But this makes browsing a pain, because a Fender might be called '69 Vibe Rolex', 'Pro Sound', 'Edgey Tweed' etc. so they are strewn around randomly amongst all the other profiles. And maybe I just can't remember what 'Nigel 30' or 'Tall Weeds Myth Dallas' are supposed to be!

Usually the profiles have a few characters at the end to indicate things like the type of tone, amp channel, amount of gain and any pedals that were used, so the full name might be '69 Vibe Rolex B3' or 'Fullerton 5Edge3 m4'

I'd like to be able to just rename the first part of the rig name as Fender Vibrolux 69, Fender Princeton, Fender Tweed Deluxe. etc but keeping any characters at the end which are useful, so it would then be 'Fender Vibrolux 69 B3'. This would make browsing by manufacturer on the Kemper Stage a lot easier.

This is very easy to do on file names in MacOS Finder - just select all the files, choose File/Rename x Items... and then Find '69 Vibe Rolex' and Replace with 'Fender Vibrolux 69'. It will leave the end characters alone. This will not affect the Rig Name tag which is used by the Kemper though - only the file name.

I would like to see the same functionality added to the Rig Manager so that the Rig Name tags for whole profile packs could be renamed with minimal effort, rather than having to do them one by one, which is all it currently supports.

• You can already do that with the current batch tags.

The key is not to update the Rig Name which is unique. Instead just update the Amp Manufacturer and Amp Model Tag to whatever you want them to be - probably their real names. You can do this by searching in RM under Amp Manufacturer just now for a pun name that mnight represent say a Fender. I have 501 TJ profiles if I search for Fullerton I get 17 Rigs. Select all 177. Now update Amp Manufacturer and Amp Model. You can also Update Amp Name if you want. As long as you leave rig name you will still have the additional info like B3 etc.