Want to use line 6 hd500 the expressionpedal as Volumenpedal for KMP!

• The Midi Command for the Volumen Pedal ist CC#7
    If you use the HD Editor, then try this:
    - Footswitch/EXP: EXP1
    - CC#: 007
    - Midi-Channel: the same as the KPA
    - Min Value: 000
    - Max Value: 128

• CC#1 Wah
    CC#7 Volume
    CC#17 Stomp A
    CC#18 Stomp B
    CC#19 Stomp C
    CC#20 Stomp D
    CC#23 Stomp X
    CC#24 Stomp Mod
    CC#26 Delay
    CC#27 DelayMix
    CC#28 Reverb
    CC#29 ReverbMix
    CC#30 Tab
    CC#31 Tune

• I read that a lot of you guys use this combination. I want to too but I'm not yet sure if I should use the HD only as a midicontroller or as the FX unit and the Kemper only for the ampsound, because that would include a lot of cables and I don't like to have too many long cables.
    At the moment I power my unit with a pa poweramp into two fullrange speakers. On top of it is my rack with the wireless system and racktuner. If I want to use the HD for fx i'd need 6 cables from the rack to the Pedalboard:
    - Power for the HD
    - Midi
    - Wireless to HD 500 Input
    - HD 500 FX send to Kemper Input
    - Kemper Main out Stereo - HD 500 FX return
    And since I use Inear I'd have to return the HD 500 main outputs back into my rack, so thats another 2 cables making it 8...
    If I use the HD only as a midi controller it would only be 2 cables (power and midi).

I'm really unsure about this. On the one hand I want to use the HD 500 FX like filters, synths, whammy, octaver which the kemper doesn't have. On the other hand I don't think a cable tree with 8! cables over 9m, with the signal going back and forth so many times is a really good solution...
    What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

• Steeldom: you can get a snake cable made up for this and have only 1 (ok, thick) cord going from the rack to the HD....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• since a while there is also CC# 16 for Stomp Invert (inverts Stomps A-D, X, MOD) and CC#33 Rotary Speaker (slow/fast)

• Is there a shop in germany that does such custom-cables? I'm not the soldering type...

Any decent shop with PA systems does it. Multicore cables are sold per meter and the rest is just soldering. My local (small) one does it

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Guess I will write an email to thomann and see what they say about it :)

Ok I got an answer and the answer is no...
    I could do it myself but I was never satisfied with my own soldering, I don't trust myself enough to take it on stage....

But I just thought about something else. I could just use the POD HD effects before the Kemper. That would save me 4 cables. I think I'll go down this road. I'll use the MIDI functions to have access to the post-fx of the Kemper itsself.

I'll give you guys feedback once i tried that out completely.

• Hi guys,

so today I hooked up my HD500 to my Kemper again to controll it via Midi.
    Tbh i have strange feelings.
    I tried different settings. First of all the "easy sollution". HD in normal ABCD mode switching presets in every bank and the presets in the kemper are setted to the same numbers. This way i only have to dial in the cc comands which work good except for the fact, that the hd gives no visible response. I have to program fake effects on the hd which are turned on and off so that the lights on the footswitch will go on and off. Not the best sollution.
    What I do't like about this is, if I want to make a setup with 1 bank = 1 song I have 16 Songs per Setlist. Which would mean I have to switch Setlists if I'm playing more than 16 songs at rehearsals/ gigs.

The next step was to set the HD fot footswitch mode and do everything via midicommands.
    Now I can use 1 HD Preset as "1 song". Also worked fine, switching was no problem.
    But in this mode it's even more frustrating without the lights on the footswitch. And since the HD "is thinking" it is switching effects on and off, even with dummy effects the lights will do anything but show me what I selected.

Last but no least I tried out the performance mode which is a cool thing in the kemper.
    Since the bank buttons on the hd cannot send midicommands afaik I used footswitch 3 and 4 to go performance up and down. With the strange result that if i hit a switch once the performance on the kemper starts blinking and then the number will increase without me doing anything, up to 125. Same thing for the down command. It stops as soon as i hit the button twice.
    At home trying to figure it out this is "ok", but live this is pretty deadly I think. Image a really quiet song and without noticing your dialing up a "master of puppets" sound.

So in the end I'm back where I started.

What I believe the HD500 cannot do is:
    - sent out multiple midicommands with one footswitch
    - show data of other devices like tuner, presetnumber/names etc

So I think this combination is only useful if you
    1. use the HD for tuning and maybe some effects and then go into the kemper
    2. use it only for basic midi functions (same presetnumbers and few effects on and off)

So I guess I have to either wait for the Kemper footswitch or go and get something like a liquid foot. (which also means wait since I don't have the money :D)

What do you guys think of the HD500/Kemper? Has anyone figured out the problems I have?

• Thios really helped me out:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think you nailed pretty well the current situation and shortcomings with the HD500+KPA combo except the performance mode behaviour which seems like midi command programming error (I fell into the same one when tried it the first time ;). So my guess is that you had the FS3 & FS4 set sending 'CC toggle' meassages where those need to be sending CC messages with values '000'. CCToggle just sends alternating ´0´and ´1´ values and there the value '1' initiates the auto scrolling feature as mentioned in the manual.

Overall, I'm pretty much in the same place with you starting to use KPA live and figuring out the neatest way to control it with HD500 (until KFC comes or I buy something else out of frustration).

So I think this combination is only useful if you
    1. use the HD for tuning and maybe some effects and then go into the kemper
    2. use it only for basic midi functions (same presetnumbers and few effects on and off)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the second option that you mentioned. The shortcoming of not being able to send multiple CCs with one footswitch could be made workaround so that one makes multiple presets for the more complicated effects on/off changes although not that 'clean' approach. Performance mode works, but the drawbacks are losing two footswitches to performance up/down scrolling like you said and also the HD500 preset numbering it not anymore in sync with KPA performance numbering which would require checking the active performance from KPA always. Not good.

So. KPA folks. Pleeeease release the magnifico KFC already!! :thumbup: