Seeking enlightenment

• So I’ve only had my Kemper about a month now and I’m wondering if I’m setting it up the best with what I have to work with. I have a pair of Yamaha DBR 12s on stands. A pair of Presonus Eris 8”s an old solid state Peavey head and a 4x12 Sheffield cabinet. For my interface I have an Allen &Heath Zedi10. I’m running xlr out of the Kemper to the interface and monitor out ( with monitor cab off) to the effect return on the head. I have slightly adjusted the multiple eq outputs on the Kemper. I have both pairs of active speakers hooked up to the mixer for A/B mix comparison. Nothing sounds as great as it does on my Sony MDR headphones. I get close... any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Could this be because I’m not using the SPDF output on the Kemper.

• As MM said, mains/spdif sound the same. Not familiar with this specific interface but I think those Sony cans are closed and have added low end or EQ that you like (they might not be very flat). Maybe it feels better to you through that kind of EQing? You can try to match this with the graphic/studio EQ.

• Couple of comments:

You have 3 signal paths and so they will not sound the same. The guitar path in particular is going through a guitar amp into a guitar cab which will add a lot of colour to the sound. This will never sound the same as the headphones and PA output.

Is this a live set up ? If so, I would first focus on the PA output and get that sounding good and work back from that..

• Ruefus ive been plugging my cans into the Kemper. Haven’t tried the interface yet, I’ll do some experimenting this weekend. Thanks

I forget the reason, but the headphone out usually sounds different (better) so many. You can do a search and find several threads on this

I'd bet once you go through your interface, this will go away. This is exactly why I don't use the headphone out to tune sounds.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche