The Kemper Foot Controller: A Proposal

• Hi Forum!

Here is a first attempt for a proprietary foot controller.

The pedal is proprietary for the KPA.

The four buttons I II III IV can be freely assigned to any effect and more than one at once.

Unique:
    Up to two effects will be displayed by a color LED and On-LED. By these lights you can see if the two effects go on simultaneously or will be swapped.

Four expression pedals or switches can be connected.
    The graphics are not final :)
    No power or midi connections on board, will both be provided by the Profiler.

Tell me if you like it!

CK

• Like! Especially the option of connecting further switches OR exp pedals. Did I understood it right that you can assign more fx to the same switch and even in different status (one on, the other off) in order to swap them?
    Any info on the size?
    I would personally prefer a LED display instead of an LCD one for better read-ability

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• It looks good, it would do everything i'd need in a foot controller, one important thing(for me at least) is that the display must be easily readable outdoors in daylight, with some foot controllers playing outdoor festivals it's really impossible to read the display.

• :thumbup:

Really like the four color led's to indicate stomp category. Also the 4 expressions inputs are a nice plus.

Go man go!

• Looking good. Would love if the five preset buttons have more functions, like calling up second preset when double clicked or when hold or with every additional step, and all that free assignable.

• Sold!

Guitars-Lifeson Axcess Red, Lifeson Axcess Brown, Iced Tea Axcess stop tail, LRP Sig 57
    Amp-Axefx2, KPA, G5, GSP1101, RCF, QSC, Matrix, EHX-Mag44

• It looks really awesome!
    I have two suggestions:
    1. You could rearange the buttons on the right as followed:
    - combine Tap/ tuner (hold 1 sec for tuner), and show the tuner on the display; the button should be where the tuner button is
    - bank buttons vertical to the right
    --> That way you'd have space for a fifth Fx button, which could be very useful!
    2. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would apreciate the possibility to use this board with other gear. So MIDI Out and the possibility to programm it would be awesome.
    If there's one thing i really really really don't like about the Line6 FBV, then it is, that you can only use it with Line6 gear. :thumbdown:
    EDIT: Just to be clear, I mean the option to not use it with the KPA at all.

And last but not least I'm always a bit troubled when it comes to wah-wah effects with digital gear. (Although I'm not sure if this belongs here but it has to do with footswitches :) )
    A normal wah-wah is either activated by the button underneath the pedal (classic crybaby or else) or through touch (morley wah steve vai and others).
    I have not yet found a digital device that offers me a really uncomplicated way to activate the wah, even with expression pedals.
    So what I wanna say is:
    You could consider an optional expression pedal for your footcontroller, that has a wah-button in it, or a switch that makes it work like a morley wah or something like this. (I admit, I have no idea if this is even possible but it would be mindblowing ;) )

Keep up the great work!!

Edited 2 times, last by Steeldom ().

And last but not least I'm always a bit troubled when it comes to wah-wah effects with digital gear. (Although I'm not sure if this belongs here but it has to do with footswitches :) )
    A normal wah-wah is either activated by the button underneath the pedal (classic crybaby or else) or trough touch (morley wah steve vai and others).
    I have not yet found a digital device that offers me a really uncomplicated way to activate the wah, even with expression pedals.
    So what I wanna say is:
    You could consider an optional expression pedal for your footcontroller, that has a wah-button in it, or a switch that makes it work like a morley wah or something like this. (I admit, I have no idea if this is even possible but it would be mindblowing

I agree with all the above - but I will also add that competing Multi-FX Units typically use MIDI CC# controlled Wah-Wah Effects - with a 7 bit range of control (only 128 steps (0-127).

The golden ears among us would really appreciate if the KPA could increase this - perhaps match the 14bit control of MIDI Pitch bend, but use this for the Wah-wah.
    http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic…MIDI/chapter3_MIDI4.shtml

Id like to see a smooth acting wah that reacts just like a real one, with no perceptible "large jumps" mid travel.

• Thanks!

1. I will not combine Tap and Tuner, since a number of people will want to use the Tuner button as a mute button as well, for changing the guitar etc. This should not be in a position where you accidently press it. The Tap on the other hand should be as accessible as possible.

2. Bank buttons should not be vertical, as the Bank Up button would be in a worse position than Bank Down, while possibly being more important for a performance.

3. I doubt you really need a fifth effects button. ;)

4. If Midi functions are planned, they can be sent by the Midi Out of the Profiler.

5. You have the parameter Pedal Mode in all Wah effects. There you can chose e.g. to bypass the wah when you park the pedal in the heel position. Check our Reference Manual.
    Still you can get a Mission Engineering pedal that offers a build in switch. But our software solution might be more convenient.

• 3. I doubt you really need a fifth effects button. ;)

Well personally I like a lot of options. If I want a bigger and deeper delay I rather switch on a second one, than change the preset to get what I want. So if i COULD I'd have two choruses (one just to widen the sound to stereo and one for the actuall effect), two delays (one short rythmic stereo and one long dynamic mono) and two reverbs (one short to simulate the "room" and one longer "big" reverb). Of course with the possibility to turn them all on and off individually, if I want to. ;) And thats just the post-fx section...
    I mean, of course that all depends on personal taste. Some people rather like a lot of presets and just step through them, without changing any effects at all, others (like me) prefer less, maybe 4 or five presets for an entire show and do the rest by turning different effects on and off.
    But for most people and most situations 4 switches will be enough, I give you that.

Thanks for the tipp with the wah! :thumbup:

Edited once, last by Steeldom ().

• We have done a little survey and found out that three switches might be enough for the majority. But I don't like odd numbers. 8)
    You can always expand by external switches.

We try to create smart solutions instead of fulfilling everybodies wishes.
    If we did that, everybody would find three personal wishes realized, but step over 100 problems, that were wishes of other people, that you have never met.

Showing two effects per effect button (if two are assigned) is a smart solution in that way.
    It wouldn't be in your way, if you always assign one effect per button, but very nice, if you assign two.
    It will not support three effects at the same time, cause three LED sets might look a bit confusing, while rarely used.
    Probably the perfect compromise, I think.

CK

• I always find it difficult to hit the top row of switches on and off with my foot on any floorboard when i'm playing live . my brain cant Multitask well and i quite often hit the bottom row by mistake but the bottom row of buttons i find easy as you can cue them up before you need to engage them. How about having spaces so the top switches are not directly above the bottom but slightly to the side? ya know like a chess board