The Noise "Gate"

• Some of the Amps/Rigs are really noisy. Especially the ones with extreme Gain settings.
    Backing the gain of just a little bit often takes away a lot of the noise.
    The noise "gate" is great as it does not kill the tone BUT even if you have it on a very high setting it can not take away the noise from high gain settings.
    I would like to have the noise gate as it is but also include a real GATE option were the output is fully closed under a certain threshold level, and after a selectable time from last note.

Mike

• BUT even if you have it on a very high setting it can not take away the noise from high gain settings.

...and at high settings, it really DOES kill the tone.
    I still get a doubler/sitar-sound out of it with really noisy rigs and high NG settings. (e.g. choose noisy rig, push the noisegate to 5 - 7, put your guitars volume on 1 and play)
    IMHO, we need a different noisegate...

• I can't even imagine what kind of high gain settings you guys must be using.

To test I just loaded Ola's Triple Recto Profile, which for me is extremely high gain and it has a Tube Screamer in front of it.
    With the NG on zero all I have is a hiss, the same hiss you get playing a Marshall or Mesa even on lowish gain settings...in fact I like the hiss, I would leave it.
    Turn the NG to 1.6 and it's silent, and the tone is un-affected.

What kind of gain are you using? :D

• What kind of gain are you using? :D

Lance: they are not like us, they are different... 8o :D
    Though Chris is using my rigs at the moment, and I can assure you that on those there is absolutely no gate issue....well...most of them have no gate... :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• What kind of gain are you using?

Bro, common, it's me! :D:D

I use Davide's rigs, but just keep my one reference rig (the one I sent you) for testing purposes. It is super noisy but I like the "juicy response" of that rig.
    The noisegate doesn't deal too well with that rig :D

• Bro, common, it's me! :D :D

I use Davide's rigs, but just keep my one reference rig (the one I sent you) for testing purposes. It is super noisy but I like the "juicy response" of that rig.
    The noisegate doesn't deal too well with that rig :D

2 months ago I played one chord on the rig you sent me and it's still sustaining today....with your legato skills you could play that rig for an entire gig and never use your right hand. :D

Ya, that rig was beyond serious high gain. :D

• I can't even imagine what kind of high gain settings you guys must be using.

To test I just loaded Ola's Triple Recto Profile, which for me is extremely high gain and it has a Tube Screamer in front of it.
    With the NG on zero all I have is a hiss, the same hiss you get playing a Marshall or Mesa even on lowish gain settings...in fact I like the hiss, I would leave it.
    Turn the NG to 1.6 and it's silent, and the tone is un-affected.

What kind of gain are you using? :D

Lance! And here I thought you were a hi-gain man! :D The KPA noise gate is one of the main features that make people wonder about the KPA's worthiness onstage bro. We are still not approaching ultra-gain territory with most of the current profiles, and yet the noise is sometimes uncontrollable (and that's before adding massive RF from stage lighting, etc) - why do you feel this must be defended? Don't quite get it... (are you an investor in the company?) 8o

All modelers known to man 8o

• Lance! And here I thought you were a hi-gain man! :D The KPA noise gate is one of the main features that make people wonder about the KPA's worthiness onstage bro. We are still not approaching ultra-gain territory with most of the current profiles, and yet the noise is sometimes uncontrollable (and that's before adding massive RF from stage lighting, etc) - why do you feel this must be defended? Don't quite get it... (are you an investor in the company?)

Maybe if I try the KPA onstage with massive RF from stage lighting, etc, and use settings beyond Ola's high gain metal, then I'll realize the NG is no good.

I'm imagining for the kind of music you play you're using pretty low gain settings, are you having NG problems even with your settings?

• I'm imagining for the kind of music you play you're using pretty low gain settings, are you having NG problems even with your settings?

Lance - Believe it or not, Neil has me play some very in-your-face, ultra-gain solos during the show - I think he likes the contrast of styles. 8o

Noise reduction quality/effectiveness is easily measured and perceived when performing - my Boss units have it, my AFX has it, my Pods have it, my Logic 9.0 has it, but my Kemper does not *yet* have it...

All modelers known to man 8o

• Lance - Believe it or not, Neil has me play some very in-your-face, ultra-gain solos during the show - I think he likes the contrast of styles. 8o

My brother and my late mom were at the show.
    My bro has seen Pink Floyd twice, when the 'Pulse' tour passed through LA, and he really enjoyed your show, so you and Neil must have been doing something right. :D