New User Questions (Kemper on the way)

• Hello,

I have a Kemper on the way and I downloaded the manual here, but it's garbage as far as I'm concerned. None of what I was looking for was in the pdf manual, hopefully the unit ships with a better one. I have a couple of questions, and yes, some will be stupid ones since I'm not to experienced with these type of connections.

1. If I connect the Kemper to my RME UCX (XLR only), when I use rig manager, will that be able to communicate with the Kemper although the Kemper is not connected to my PC? I know it might be a retarded question, but I rather make one connection only and want the best one overall. Or do I have to do both, connect Kemper via XRL to my RME UCX and also the Kemper to my PC for it all to work? I have a feeling, the answer is obvious or I already have it, but I need to verify before I set it all up.
    2. How do profiles made with humbuckers work if I use single coils and vise versa? How much of a change will that be to the original profile and sound of the amp?

3. I saw a video that said the Gain knob is not that useful to add more gain to a profile, but it is useful to lower the gain. If I get a profile I like, say a Marshall JMP 800, will the only way to add more gain is to add a pedal or a boost? I understand there's profiles with the boosts and pedals already, I'm just wondering if you can add more with the Gain knob without changing the original amp profile.

Thanks in advance!

• Welcome to the family?

It seems better to use a higher gain profile and turn it down, then the other way

You can add a overdrive to the profile to add a little more gain. Like on a real amp it tightens up the low end

• 1. Rig Manager requires a direct connection to the PC.

2. If someone set the EQ and gain on a conventional amp for a specific sound using a Strat, and you plug in your Les Paul, the sound will change. The Kemper reacts the same way.

3. You can add Gain using the Gain knob. Doing that is like using a linear gain Preamp at the input of the amplifier.

• I downloaded the manual here, but it's garbage as far as I'm concerned.

It's a super-comprehensive, informative piece of work.

If the questions you asked in your post are anything to go by, it's no wonder you couldn't find answers to them in the manual:

1. If I connect the Kemper to my RME UCX (XLR only), when I use rig manager, will that be able to communicate with the Kemper although the Kemper is not connected to my PC? I know it might be a retarded question, but I rather make one connection only and want the best one overall. Or do I have to do both, connect Kemper via XRL to my RME UCX and also the Kemper to my PC for it all to work? I have a feeling, the answer is obvious or I already have it, but I need to verify before I set it all up.

If the question is, "... will that be able to communicate with the Kemper although the Kemper is not connected to my PC?", you're not going to find an answer in the manual, 'cause, well, it's a ridiculous question.

However, connecting the KPA to your computer in order to use Rig Manager is covered.

2. How do profiles made with humbuckers work if I use single coils and vise versa? How much of a change will that be to the original profile and sound of the amp?

The KPA experience is analogous what would happen using a real amp. The manual doesn't need to cover this (although it may 'cause it's so-comprehensive), 'cause it'd set a precedent that every real-amp scenario needs to be described, which is pointless if behaviour is analogous between the two.

3. ... If I get a profile I like, say a Marshall JMP 800, will the only way to add more gain is to add a pedal or a boost? I understand there's profiles with the boosts and pedals already, I'm just wondering if you can add more with the Gain knob without changing the original amp profile.

Covered in the manual.

Worth noting 'though that experience has taught us that lowering gain tends to be more-faithful to the original than raising it. This is because the Profiling process maps an amp's behaviour dynamically up to and including the real-life gain setting of the amp. Any additional gain to the Profile by-definition has to involve some guesswork on the part of the KPA, whereas lowering the parameter would see the unit simply employing data that was collected as part of the Profile for the reason I just stated.

Perhaps in time you'll come to appreciate the manual, but hey, each to his own, so if you continue to believe it's garbage, that's your right. I'd caution against dismissing it and looking elsewhere for info without at least searching the PDF first 'though. Apart from anything else it's that sort of document where you'll often, if not usually, come away having picked up a tidbit or two that you weren't previously aware of.

Welcome to the forum, mate! 8)

• 1. Rig Manager requires a direct connection to the PC.

2. If someone set the EQ and gain on a conventional amp for a specific sound using a Strat, and you plug in your Les Paul, the sound will change. The Kemper reacts the same way.

3. You can add Gain using the Gain knob. Doing that is like using a linear gain Preamp at the input of the amplifier.

Thanks, I got it in last night and figured everything out. Much better manual indeed with the unit.

• [edited by mod
    post quoted was deleted by mod]

Attitude like this is juvenile. This isn't some infantile group of posers you get to shove around. Professional players, working musicians, studio owners and a few Grammy winners.

You got an opinion you didn’t like. Boo hoo.

If this is the quality of conversation to be expected from you, get lost. Please.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• [edited by mod

Yep. Being an ass is simple. You do it very well, too.

‘Set me straight’...... lol. Juvenile.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I have a couple of questions, and yes, some will be stupid ones

I know it might be a retarded question

[edited by mod

posts quoted were deleted by mod]

Qualifying yourself every step of the way quite conveniently. Small mindedness from childhood has transferred unabated to adulthood apparently.

You received a constructive response, and by perhaps the kindest member of the forum. Best to respond constructively, otherwise you only serve to make a complete jackass of yourself.

• You're welcome, 30Cal2900fps.

[edited by mod

This is your response to my genuine attempt to help and welcome you?

Much better manual indeed with the unit.

Your judgement of manuals could use some work, man. It's the opposite of the super-comprehensive, "garbage" PDF; a simple "getting started" guide. We frequently see complaints that the manual isn't comprehensive-enough, only to learn that the individuals involved have assumed that the guide that arrived in the KPA box was the actual manual, which it isn't, not by a very-long shot. You've reached the opposite conclusion, a first here in the forum.

I don't know which planet you and him live in that you expect to give people crap and some will take it.

I didn't "give you crap"; I stated facts, offered a tip or two and welcomed you.

You will be set straight if you get cute with me.

... and setting me straight is what? Telling me I was the type of kid you used to beat up in school and to keep my pie hole shut? You're a piece of work, man. Easily the rudest new member I've ever seen here. Congratulations.

I haven't reported you, but I can tell you that if you keep this up you'll be set straight... by the mods. This is a civil, friendly forum and your behaviour will not go unnoticed.

• I haven't reported you, but I can tell you that if you keep this up you'll be set straight... by the mods. This is a civil, friendly forum and your behaviour will not go unnoticed.

... and noticed it was. I'd have been amazed if the mods had put up with this level of hostility and puerility here in the company's forum.

• I am usually not the type of guy to interfere in conversations like this or judge people by their nickname/profile picture.

However I can not really say that I am surprised by the responses of this guy, just by looking at his name and pic.

Maybe people "gave him crap" a little too much and made him react defensively in an instant to even the simplest and well meant tips.
    Makes me shake my head when I see people go at it this way in forums where they wanted to find help in the first place