Need help getting that Nuno Bettencourt live tone

• Hello guys, I am struggling to get that extremely awesome Nuno hard rock tone. It's a great bitey tight VanHalen-ish tone with awesome sag and tight bottom end (but not too low or metal, check palm mutes at 4,10). I have the ADA Nuno profiles from Big Hairy, they are awesome but not close to this tone. The closest I can get is with some Top Jimi profiles (they always have that cranked marshall sag) but not as close as I would like. Also checked Nuno Randall profiles on RE, not even close. Any suggestions? Or any alternatives to Top Jimi profiles with similar vibe?

Thanks in advance, here is the link, starts around 1.50

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks a lot guys. I have tried the free ones of MW, not impressed at all tone-wise or feel-wise. Even his samples on YT don't seem to be something great. Top Jimi is by far my favourite studio profiles for marshall - hot rodded marshall tones. Have you tried any of the paid MW packs? Are they any better than the freebies? Maybe I am missing something good?

FarleyUK OMG man he is so damn good. And the tone at this video is probably the best Marshall-esque tone I have ever heard. That's why I became sick to figure out how to get that tone :D

• You may already know this, but many do not.

An absolute key piece of Nuno's sound is an old ProCo Rat pedal he leaves on regardless of the amp. I've even heard interviews where he mentions the Rat.....but isn't sure what model amp he's using.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• You may already know this, but many do not.

An absolute key piece of Nuno's sound is an old ProCo Rat pedal he leaves on regardless of the amp. I've even heard interviews where he mentions the Rat.....but isn't sure what model amp he's using.

External Content www.youtube.com

Yes, but I think when he uses the Randall (in the vid he is) he doesn't need a Rat because it is somehow built inside the amp. I think I saw it on a video where he talks about his signature Randall amp.

• Yes, but I think when he uses the Randall (in the vid he is) he doesn't need a Rat because it is somehow built inside the amp. I think I saw it on a video where he talks about his signature Randall amp.

He also says he's using a DSL200 and states clearly that the Rat is always on. "Always in the front of my amp....." about 1:45 in.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I would approach this from Rat perspective...A rat..or mouse..or 1981drv..etc in front of some marshallesque tone and probably with a cab loaded with Greenbags.

Had to try and result is...rather messy playing :D

External Content soundcloud.com

• All I can say is that for all the videos and lessons I've seen for this song, none sound even remotely like Nuno playing it. The tone probably pretty easy, but it's his percussive style that's so hard to replicate.

• I would approach this from Rat perspective...A rat..or mouse..or 1981drv..etc in front of some marshallesque tone and probably with a cab loaded with Greenbags.

Had to try and result is...rather messy playing :D

External Content soundcloud.com

OMG this is really close! Please share info, which profile and Rat settings. Thanks so much man!

EDIT. And if you can share any additional info (guitar, pickups etc) would be nice too. You're saving my life here mate lol!

• Sure! Now that this thread was moved to third party.. section can mention some vendors as well. So..

..like said, was boosting with mouse drive in front the stack with mix in 50-70 area, depending on the amp/profile.

I actually ended up trying several profiles and had some pretty good results with several different ones, TJ VanHalen (more of that ’sag’), BM BE100 and RockProfiles Helios (latter ones were excelling in punch). Sample might have been Helios, not 100% sure as I’m not near Kpa atm. And tried even multritracking with all three in a mix - pretty awesome actually, saggy& punchy&big&cutting at the same time, but not that live ready without 3 Kpa’s, so ?

Guitar was Music Man Silhouette Special, the one in the avatar actually, with Pete Thornbucker+ in the bridge. I have added EH LPB booster circuit in the gtr behind a switch which might have been enabled also mildly, not sure as some sounded and felt better with it, some without.

Then there was a slight EQ low&hi cutter in the X-position that I like to use with FRFR.

Those were the main ingredients I think on the top of the head. Would need to check any details later on when i’m again next to Kpa, but that’d be after the christmas holidays. ??

• Thanks so much again man, I really appreciate your help. I'll be waiting like a kid waiting for Santa, to share the exact settings and profile when you return back to your KPA, if it's not too much trouble of course.

You and Ruefus were so right about the rat in front, used it in some profiles and indeed I came closer. But not so close like you, you have great ears man!

I will be stalking you till you tell me everything lol :)

Thanks again!

• Seems I had Mouse (0.0 4.1 67% 0.0)) and noise gate in the stomps and Studio EQ (slight hi & low-pass together with a couple db boost @2,9kHz) + Dly + Rev in Effects. Profile was RockProfiles Helios, but as I renamed the profile in performance mode I can't see original name any more. But it was one of the medium gained profile with Greenback cab, probably best just to select one that works best with the guitar&pickup you're using.