Connecting to speaker cabinet

• Hello everyone,

First of all, I am completely new to kemper and guitar cabs in general. I just bought my first guitar cabinet, an orange 2x12 (ppc212) and connected it to my kemper from the left main output to the rear input jack on the 2x12 using a speaker cable. The sound is alright, but quite quiet compared to my expectations, even with the master volume, rig volume, and guitar volume cranked. Switching around the connection to the monitor output helps with volume, but way muddies up the low and mid range frequencies.

Plugging headphones into the headphone jack has resulted in far superior tone and volume than the sound coming through my guitar cabinet.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with connecting the kemper to my cabinet, maybe in settings or even general connections.

Any help is appreciated.

• Evening,

Assuming you have the powered version, use the speaker output (rated at 8-16 ohms).

If you do have the powered version, might be worth investing in some studio monitors and connect via balanced TRS cables.

Hope this helps...

• If you have the powered head or rack, you need to use the speaker output jack (the one with the red ring on it) to drive a passive cabinet. If yours is not a powered version, you need either powered monitors or a power amp to drive your cabinet. The main outs are instrument/line level, and are not meant for driving passive speaker cabinets.

• Hi There,

Is that right?

I have a 4x12 Celestion Marshall Cabinet 8-16 ohms

and it sounds really low, increasing the master monitor volume just craps the sound...

and with any amp like a fender vibrolux it sounds great, flat frequencies and low volume

Kemper does not work with passive cabinets????

Thanx

• The powered Kempers (with an integrated power amp installed) will work with passive cabinets, but the standard models do not have a power amp in them and therefore cannot drive a passive cabinet. The easiest way to tell is to look at the back panel-if you see a jack with a red plastic lock nut on it, that is the speaker out jack and you have a powered version. If you do not see that jack (it's on the same side of the panel as the IEC power cable jack), then you have a non-powered version and cannot drive a passive cabinet without adding an external power amp.

• Hi I have a toaster powerhead version bought Saturday 2 years old used in perfect working order

and sounded great on demo through my messa 2x12 rectifier cab...... I've upgraded the software to 8.0.46 2547.

I have the Speaker cabinet connected to the red speaker out / and the Main output left and right connected to my Studio desk...... The desk is getting a feed and works well in stereo.. BUT THE CABINET WILL NOT SOUND

I have pressed the output control button and paged through to page 9/9 Power amp section. pressed the soft button POWER AMP ON but Still no sound The page 8/9 is showing Monitor cab Off to stop the cab info going to the speaker feed and is working ok through the main outs

What the hell do I do now I've been trying since Saturday afternoon to make this happen and its now Tuesday. Iv read the manual and I cannot see what is wrong. Can anyone please help me as I cannot get on here at all

cheers all

Regards

Fingers

• Hi paults. Ive got it working im the output menu go to page I?9. monitor output and turned the dial to the right and hey its working. now what do I set it to stack. / studio / git+processing and am I in the right area to send sig to the speaker cab as normal or is this setting just a chance find . it also seems to cut of the main outs to the desk. any ideas any one. thanks Paults for now

• It sounds like you had Monitor Out either off or Git (which is pure DI guitar signal). It is up to what you want to send to the Monitor Output. If you only want a dry sound then Stack which bypasses any effect in X, Mod, Delay or Rev. You could also have the signal after the Mod slot but before Delay and Rev or just send the full rig which would be Master Mono.

there is no reason why changing the Monitor/Speaker out should cut the Main Output so you must have done something else at the same time.

• Hey Alan thanks for that info yeh im literally looking for a quick fix for now until I get my head around this awesome piece of kit .... its been since Saturday and I aint had it working yet until just today when I found the monitor output control in output menu.

Q. So your saying MASTER MONO is the setting req to send the full rig setting to the speaker cab. and that's with effects ?

I think that's what I would need. what about if I want the cabs to be stereo.. I've seen somewhere about linking outputs and running another power amp and cab. what setting would that be req

Q. is it right I should also use the soft button( cabinet off ) in the output menu & the full rig and stereo guitar OUTPUT SOUNDS THROUGH THE PA with cabinet sound attached still regardless.

Q. So regarding power amp on what else could I have done ALAN any idea where to look How do you have yours set up then as all I did was updated the software to the latest version.

Oh. and PAULTS where do I find the POWER AMP METER to see if its moving im confused its definitely loud

Thankyou guys for answering my questions your info is a great help

Steve

Q. So your saying MASTER MONO is the setting req to send the full rig setting to the speaker cab. and that's with effects ?

Yes

I've seen somewhere about linking outputs and running another power amp and cab. what setting would that be req

You would need to tick the stereo monitor box.

Q. is it right I should also use the soft button( cabinet off ) in the output menu & the full rig and stereo guitar OUTPUT SOUNDS THROUGH THE PA with cabinet sound attached still regardless.

Yes, leave the cab on in the Rig itself but tick Monitor Cab Off in the output menu.

Q. So regarding power amp on what else could I have done ALAN any idea where to look How do you have yours set up then as all I did was updated the software to the latest version.

I just have Main Output set to Master Stereo and Monitor Output set to Master Mono. I have the Master Knob linked to Monitor Out and Headphones only so that I can adjust stage volume without affecting FOH or recording.

Oh. and PAULTS where do I find the POWER AMP METER to see if its moving im confused its definitely loud

The power Amp Meter is on one of the last pages of the Output Menu.

If you haven’t already done so, I would strongly recommend downloading the full manual from the Kemper website Downloads section as it explains this stuff in a lot more detail.

Hang in there Steve, you’ll get it going.