How to protect your profiles

• Maybe a little off topic , but not much ..... :/

What do you guys think about bands playing covers

without paying royalties to the composer / owner

of the songs ?

It's been over twenty years since I played cover tunes in a bar band but at that time it was actually the venue's responsibility to maintain a current permit for playing cover tunes that covered their establishment and all the bands that played there.. It was not the individual bands' responsibility. It may be a practice that was followed in larger cities like New York and Los Angeles and Nashville that have a large number of union musicians. In my experience these permits were never purchased in the small road house style bars where I played in the Southeast US. It would have been an arduous task to enforce compliance.

I agree with the others that I do not believe Kemper ever envisioned there being a secondary market for commercial profiles. That negated a need for any DRM type of protection to be included in the platform. I don't feel that it is incumbent upon Kemper to develop a feature to police this. I really doubt that widespread commercial Kemper profile sharing even occurs.

• It's been over twenty years since I played cover tunes in a bar band but at that time it was actually the venue's responsibility to maintain a current permit for playing cover tunes that covered their establishment and all the bands that played there.. It was not the individual bands' responsibility. It may be a practice that was followed in larger cities like New York and Los Angeles and Nashville that have a large number of union musicians. In my experience these permits were never purchased in the small road house style bars where I played in the Southeast US. It would have been an arduous task to enforce compliance.

This is across the USA, not just in larger cities. BMI and ASCAP collect Performance Royalties from the venues, not from the musicians in cover bands.

• Too bad that it is way too easy for someone to buy a pack of profiles and put it on Rig Exchange for all to download for free.

Thankfully, it's not, mate; they'd have to be the original author... theoretically.

It’s a non-issue imo. How many commercial profiles have been uploaded to rm?

Yes, even when it has happened occasionally, Kemper has been all over it like a cheap suit, removing the offending Rigs quick-sharp.

Also, the community has alerted the company to it at least a couple o' times that I can remember.

• Thankfully, it's not, mate; they'd have to be the original author... theoretically.

Yes, even when it has happened occasionally, Kemper has been all over it like a cheap suit, removing the offending Rigs quick-sharp.

Also, the community has alerted the company to it at least a couple o' times that I can remember.

Okay...that’s cool. I just thought that all things could be changed in a profile. I don’t do profiles myself. But it does not mean that people just share them “on the side”. That’s pretty easy.

• So not a relevant comparison.

But....you also consider yourself an angel (?). Which.....??

Yes....life is awesome this way ;). But on a serious note, whether or not it being a relevant comparison is pretty much subjective. To me it is not irrelevant to say that the work of a carpenter, the work of a composer/musician, the work of a company with digital solutions etc all have one thing in common. And that is that there is work done of which they want to get paid and should get paid. This is how the wheels go round. So to me it’s exactly the same. A service provided or a product made for people to buy. But to me a good example of where people tend to bend the rules slightly in their favor and start making their own decisions on what is right. I know you and agree on rights and that you therefore don’t make a decision about some not get paid. BUT by saying that it’s not the same...what you do here is in a way you grading what to be right. I know that is not what you intended or feel, but that kinda just happens when doing this kind of grading. You also provide some sort of service at home no matter what you do for a living. If your employer suddenly starts to withdraw portions of your paycheck, I expect you not just to accept that and keep doing what you do.

Edited once, last by b_ryan ().

• Okay...that’s cool. I just thought that all things could be changed in a profile. I don’t do profiles myself. But it does not mean that people just share them “on the side”. That’s pretty easy.

No, it doesn't mean that, but that's besides the point, mate.

What you said and my response to it had nothing to do with that; it was about commercial Profiles' being uploaded to the Exchange.

• I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I see nothing wrong with sharing paid profiles (or music/movies/shows for that matter), as long as you do it as a try-before-you-buy kinda thing. If you like it AND will be using it, then go out and buy the pack it came from.

Yes, I may have dropped around $2k for a profiler, but that sure as shit doesn't mean I have the $$ to drop 50 here and there until I find the right profile for me.

I think this is good for the producers as well. It helps to introduce them to ppl that may have never heard of them, or introduce someone to a product of theirs which would never have been on a consumers radar. If I spend $$ buying a pack which, to me at least, sounds like crap, and I can't return it, I'm not gonna risk spending more money on another one. But what if my ultimate profile is in another pack? We both lose out.

I don’t agree about our right to share. There is a clear legal contract when buying profiles, music or films that expressly forbids sharing to protect the original producers.

however, i do agree about the advantage of being able to try before you buy and that this actually works to the producers advantage for the very reasons you mention. In the case of films the comparison would be trailers and promotional clips given to media organisations. For music it might be radio airplay of singles etc (even though that isn’t free the listener doesn’t pay directly). In the case of Kemper profiles most commercial profilers are happy to distribute sample packs Via their websites, some are even on RM or in the KPA factory rigs. They know that by making free profiles available they will convert some people to paying customers. However, the difference between this and the honour system that you describe is that the producers are in control and are free to make their own decisions about their work.

• This is across the USA, not just in larger cities. BMI and ASCAP collect Performance Royalties from the venues, not from the musicians in cover bands.

I believe this is the case anywhere where an organization exists to collect royalties.

In Germany it is the GEMA.

• This reminds me of the "arguments" put forward by all the Napster users. At the end of the day it's an excuse for stealing. You don't walk around the grocery store eating food with the intention of paying only for the food you enjoyed.

It doesn't make you a bad person, but it is what it is.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I see nothing wrong with sharing paid profiles (or music/movies/shows for that matter), as long as you do it as a try-before-you-buy kinda thing. If you like it AND will be using it, then go out and buy the pack it came from.

Yes, I may have dropped around $2k for a profiler, but that sure as shit doesn't mean I have the $$ to drop 50 here and there until I find the right profile for me.

I think this is good for the producers as well. It helps to introduce them to ppl that may have never heard of them, or introduce someone to a product of theirs which would never have been on a consumers radar. If I spend $$ buying a pack which, to me at least, sounds like crap, and I can't return it, I'm not gonna risk spending more money on another one. But what if my ultimate profile is in another pack? We both lose out.

Plus, if you want to get philosophical about it, can the producers even claim a copyright for something like this? Just b/c I drew a copy of a Picasso doesn't mean that I have any legal claim to the $ someone made photocopying it and selling it on. Should Xerox get a bite of the profits? Should Picassos' estate be getting a bite too? If I tweak a profile of a Hagen running through Spawn 2x12 to make it sound more like my setup, isn't that now my creation and I'm free to do it with it as I please? I'm not a copyright lawyer so don't get on me on this, its just playing devils advocate here.

Yes, some folks will inevitably just torrent and not buy, but tough shit. It's gonna happen, learn to make the best of it. Just b/c you can make money selling profiles, doesn't mean that you can, should or will.

• This reminds me of the "arguments" put forward by all the Napster users. At the end of the day it's an excuse for stealing. You don't walk around the grocery store eating food with the intention of paying only for the food you enjoyed.

It doesn't make you a bad person, but it is what it is.

Point taken, but the analogies in this thread, including this one, are off the mark.

A more accurate one would be the "taster" samples that are given out at the supermarket. You might say well that's what the free sample profiles are, but the difference is that the taster samples will be exactly what the product is, while the sample profiles are are not necessarily what you would be getting.

In any case, the fact is that with the profiles being a digital product, piracy WILL happen, so you can try to fight it like the music industry tried to fight mp3s and lose, or you could play it like protools and the iLok and cause headaches for your customers, or you could make lemonade out of lemons and try to work with the situation to your advantage.

And keep in mind, my point was that I think it is OK to try before you buy, not pirate.

• Point taken, but I still think the creator of the content should get to choose what they include as samples, even though they don't have any reasonable tools to fight shoplifters. It's up to each person to live to their principles. All of my profiles, and my music collection, and my software are all 100% legit.

• very grey area that im keeping out of.

It is ironic though.

I dont agree with not paying for goods and services at all.

But then again surely by its nature the profile is a pirate in the 1st place due to it being a copy of an actual amplifier.

And the person who made the profile ripped off the amp maker in the 1st place.

If amp manufacturers got the top profiling names in and released official profiles from fender marshall mesa on the respective sites etc then everyone gets a cut of the cake.

Bit like official celestion profiles.

• If amp manufacturers got the top profiling names in and released official profiles from fender marshall mesa on the respective sites etc then everyone gets a cut of the cake.

Bit like official celestion profiles.

Does anybody remember a company called Kodak? They were market leaders and innovators in the times of photography... until... yes... until digital cameras appeared on the market. They totally lost track with that. Underestimated the relevance of this innovation and finally were completely out of the market. Kodak is one of the standard examples for wrong assessment of an innovation (I studied Technology and Innovation Management a few years ago and came across the case a few times).

So what does the Kemper mean for amp manufacturers? Still hard to assess by today. Changes in the market are already visible, aren't they? But rather than experiencing this as a "rip off" they should learn to see chances in it, e.g. be seller of profiles or other stuff. Using their knowledge to come to a new level of business. We have seen first examples of this already: Victory is selling profiles of their own amps. And I found one small amp manufacturer (forgot the name unfortunately) who is only building prototypes of new amps, sells the profiles instead of physical amps.

• A more accurate one would be the "taster" samples that are given out at the supermarket. You might say well that's what the free sample profiles are, but the difference is that the taster samples will be exactly what the product is, while the sample profiles are are not necessarily what you would be getting.

But the sample profiles most profilers give away ARE exactly what you would be getting so there is no difference to the taster foods.