Rig Manager | First Post

• Hey guys so I just got my kemper for christmas and so far I have been kinda disappointed in it.

First off I went through all the stock profiles and the cleans sounded alright for me, but the distortion tones all sounded terrible. A lot of them reminded me of Cannibal Corpse back in the early days, just buzzsaw type stuff.

I also tried downloading the rig manager and everytime it tells me that it was prematurely cancelled. Do I have to have my Kemper plugged into my PC as I am downloading the rig exchange? If not what am I doing wrong? I have no idea what could be causing this.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me in regards to the kemper as I have been waiting to own one for years and would hate to be ultimately let down.

• The stock profiles aren’t where it’s at. Like, at all.

Downloading Rig Manager does not require the KPA to be downloaded or installed. Sounds like a possible issue with their servers or you connection, perhaps. Certainly nothing with the KPA itself.

It’s new, it’s Christmas and it’s not working right. Frustrating, I know. Hang in.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• As for rig manager, have you registered you Kemper? What are you playing your Kemper through? FRFR, guitar cab/amp, PA speakers, Studio monitors? That will make a huge difference as well.

Registered the kemper first thing.

Right now I am temporarily using some headphones.

They are the ATH m20x. I am not sure if they are good or not and might have to make the investment on better headphones since although I do plan on buying a cab, I will be playing with headphones more often than not.

Welcome to the family ?

Please give us more information and Merry Christmas

Merry christmas to you too!

This is the error message I get.

The stock profiles aren’t where it’s at. Like, at all.

Downloading Rig Manager does not require the KPA to be downloaded or installed. Sounds like a possible issue with their servers or you connection, perhaps. Certainly nothing with the KPA itself.

It’s new, it’s Christmas and it’s not working right. Frustrating, I know. Hang in.

Anything specific that error message could mean? I can't find anything useful on the web

• Honestly, I had a very similar reaction to my first experience with the Kemper. In my opinion, the stock profiles are borderline garbage and in the 3-4 years I’ve owned my Kemper, I’ve never used ONE that I liked.

Look around this message board and you’ll find some threads recommending certain profiles. I play mostly in cover bands and want good classic rock and modern rock tones. For me, the MBritt profiles are the best out there. In general, I find a good rock sound from one of his profiles, turn the treble and presence up just a tad and adjust the gain to taste. MBritt profiles make up about 90% of what I use for live shows.

There are a ton of other tips that you’ll learn in the first couple months of having the Kemper. But my advice would be to start by getting some MBritt stuff (buy a pack from his website) and DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE KEMPER! After 25 days with my Kemper, I was ready to return it. After having it for 3 months, I said I’d never go back to tube amps again. 3-4 years later, I’d never get rid of it and it’s saved me so much money because it has everything I could ever want (and I’m CRAZY picky about tone).

• I'll vouch for OhG's experience; I watched it play itself out and was one of those who encouraged him to hang in there. The transformation was spectacular!

As for the RM-installation issue, that message is a new one to me. I've heard things said about "OS-component" downloads / updates being necessary occasionally on Windows, so I wonder if it could be something like that? If you're on Mac, I've got nothin'.

Welcome to KemperLand™, Justin. 8)<3

• I'll vouch for OhG's experience; I watched it play itself out and was one of those who encouraged him to hang in there. The transformation was spectacular!

As for the RM-installation issue, that message is a new one to me. I've heard things said about "OS-component" downloads / updates being necessary occasionally on Windows, so I wonder if it could be something like that? If you're on Mac, I've got nothin'.

Welcome to KemperLand™, Justin. 8)<3

I actually got it fixed. How I have no clue. I redownloaded it for the millionth time and it worked :/

Anyways, you have some good suggestions for free and paid profiles for metal?

• Great, man. Bloody computers - can't live with 'em (sometimes), and can't live without 'em.

If I mention Profilers, your thread will be moved to an appropriate subforum, but seeing as you asked:

Off the top of my head:

SinMix has many free Profiles and has been loved by many metal guys for many a year.

Cililab I always recommend for mojo, no matter the style.

Guido Bungenstock has some really-ballsy amps Profiled and his packs are cheap.

There's a thread in which Kemperites share their favourite discoveries from the Rig Exchange:

What are "your" hidden gems in Rig Exchange? Post your best finds here ...

In RM there is a bunch of free packs to check out, so definitely try them and if a particular vendor tickles your fancy, you can explore more of his offerings.

• Whatever gear you buy, it always takes a fair amount of time with it to get the best. Different profiles suit different people and applications.

If the sounds are too "buzzsaw" for you, put a studio eq after the amp block and bring the low pass to around 6k. Alternatively, the Nick K early profiles are definitely fizz free.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Whatever gear you buy, it always takes a fair amount of time with it to get the best. Different profiles suit different people and applications.

If the sounds are too "buzzsaw" for you, put a studio eq after the amp block and bring the low pass to around 6k. Alternatively, the Nick K early profiles are definitely fizz free.

I played around with the sinmix stuff. Although I am plugged into my own cab, I use the free cab that he includes which is a 5150 cab and I played around with a laboga diamond amp profile and added some effects and played around with eq and such and god damn!

For me it sounds like a kickass 80s sound. Rhoads and Van Halen