What is the best practice for connect Kemper with your interface? (and get the best sound quality)

• Hi all,

I'm using Kemper for home recording and I'm searching for the best setup to get the best performances.

My current configuration is very simple: Kemper connected to UA Apollo 8 via SPDIF.

Generally I use high gain profiles (some free and some purchased) but I have some difficulties to get a big and bright sound, I spent hours with Kemper's EQ and Distortion modules and EQ tracks in Logic, but it seems that the sound coming from the Kemper is mostly not very bright and clear, I pass nights to searching for the best EQ but results are not so enthusiastic.

I try to compare my sound with Youtube examples (

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ) but I feel still far from sounds like those.

I've read some articles around the net searching for some hints and I find that some people talks about pre-amp and analogic converters, that at the moment I don't have.

I tried of course Kemper's configuration in Amp and Cabinet sections, but no great results again.

What I'm asking is:

1. Is SPDIF the best way to get the best quality?

2. Study and "try harder" is of course the first thing, but do I need other hardware to improve my sound?

Thanks to anyone who will help me

• Keep it simple first. The signal chain: guitar+profiles+cabs+headphones should give the sound you are looking for, before going to your DAW or adding more gear to make it better.

If your guitar+PUs are the opposite of a "bright" guitar you better start from there.

If the profile sound is not bright enough for you, try changing the cab section, some cabs, speakers or IRs are brighter than others. There are tons of cabs available for you to try.

Most Kemper demos use double tracking and EQ post production to sound bigger. If the sound of that video is exactly what you are looking for, I suggest purchase the profile pack, and contact the Profiler directly. Profiler's support is outstanding.

• Do you use a 7 string guitar or a 6 string and downtune that low? If it's the later, you maybe need to swap pickups that are voiced for lower tunings for more clarity.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

Edited once, last by GearJocke ().

• Your sound card is just fine. I use spdif and get a very good sound with my guitars. I use spdif becuase I always want to have DI tracks saved. Chop tones track above is both mixed and mastered(limited as loud as possible). The louder the better we believe it to be. Choose profiles that sounds great in a mix not great in solo. That's the biggest mistake most guitarists do. Choose two that complement each other. If you just choose the same for double tracking all you end up with is a bigger mono not stereo.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Choose two that complement each other. If you just choose the same for double tracking all you end up with is a bigger mono not stereo.

While it’s great giving an opinion on this stuff, in my experience, the above statement is absolute nonsense.

I have tracked up most everything I have ever recorded with some of the biggest producers in their field (Mike Shipley, Keith Olsen, Mike Stone etc). Except for where I was going for something different texture wise, we pretty much always tracked up the same sound.