Technical question about Studio EQ parameters

• I'm currently using a Studio EQ in the "X" slot to help make some fine tuning adjustments to my sound. I make all the typical adjustments that many of us swear by (e.g. cutting everything below around 80Hz and anything above 9kHz give or take, depending on the profile).

I'm also using the Studio EQ to set a really narrow Q, boot the gain to 12 dB and sweep around to find the horrible frequencies that need to be cut. My question is in regards to the Kemper's "Q" value. I'm used to doing this process in a DAW where I can see on a screen, how wide of a spectrum my "Q" or sweep is affecting. I know if I set a really high "Q" (all the way to the right), then I'm only affecting a very tiny range. But how do I know how wide of a range I'm affecting using other Q values since the Kemper doesn't give you a way to actually see it on an EQ graph or visualization? For example, the default starting Q value is .707. What does that mean? If I set the frequency to let's say 2500kHz using .707 as the Q value, how wide of a range am I affecting? If I want to cut everything between the 2000-3000kHz range, what does that equate to for a Q value? Is there a chart somewhere that shows for example what the difference in Q value is between .707 and .200 for example?

Obviously, the best thing to do here is to use our ears. But I find it VERY helpful to actually see how my edits/cuts/boosts are affecting certain frequencies.

Any tips?

• https://www.rane.com/note170.html

Instead of trying to use the formula's, you may just use the table at the bottom :saint:

0.7 Q is almost two octaves.

You can't cut everything between 2-3000...but if you for some reason only want to touch those frequencies, bandwidth/Q depends on how much you want to cut. Bandwidth is measured at -3dB points. So if you want to cut 3 dB, a bandwidth of 0.6 octave will stay within 2-3000 Hz. If you cut more, it will affect more.