Your 2019 in gear: What'd you get? What'd you sell?

• Out:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

AudioPro Sub

MacPro (2008)

In:

iMac (27" 5K, 8-core i9)

Presonus Quantum 2

Adam Sub7

KPA Remote + 2 Zoom exp. pedals.

Taylor 414 ce v-class

Superior Drummer 3 (+Progressive and Bob Rock libraries)

Korg microKEY 37

Suhr Gigbag

• That's funny, as I did the same only a couple of weeks ago. Just wasn't working for me. I missed the flexibility of my Kemper too much.

Very short list for me...

IN:

• 27" iMac, which I'm super happy with. But that's not really music gear.
    • Keeley Dark Side, which has amazing modulation (especially the univibe) and delays. The fuzz is also great. I play it into a /13 LDW profile.
    • Beyerdynamic DT770: works much better for me than the ATH50 from Audio Technica
    • Bluguitar Amp1 + Blubox + Nanocab

OUT:

• Bluguitar Amp1 + Blubox + Nanocab: I really like Thomas' no nonsense approach and I really really wanted to like the Amp1. But it just wasn't working. Cleans sounded great with one cab, but I needed to change cab for the vintage channel. Way too much fiddling.

My 2019 Kemper takeaway: A couple of weeks ago I watched an "how to dial in the Kemper" video by Josh Myers. You probably know him from his profile demos for several profilers. That video was really helpful for me and allowed me to improve my sound by a lot (to my taste that is).

2020 Project:

I mostly play with headphones and I want to change that in 2020. I want to have something with a small footprint, and a nice enough design to put in my living room. The question is: studio monitors, frfr or kemper kabinet (whenever that comes out...) ?

I have Yamaha HS8's, but those are just too big for our living room. I'm tempted by the Genelec 8020. I'm also looking into the Blueamps Junior FRFR, which fits really well with what I'm looking for (and it looks great). The thing with the FRFR is that I'll pretty much only use it with the Kemper. If I go with the Genelecs, I'll be able to use it for listening to music in my living room. Budget is more or less the same.

Tough call... I'll probably need both :D

When I think of buying music gear, I become a bit unreasonable. But that's OK. Life is short, so you better enjoy it.

In any case, 2019 was great and I hope 2020 will be even better. I for starters will become a 2 time dad by June, so that's gotten me all excited already ;)

Wishing you guys all the best! I hope that you'll find gear in 2020 that makes you sound great and more importantly put a huge smile on your face when you use it!!!

• Oh no ? I was talking to Monkey_Man just recently. And now he became a stomp pedal? ? Nicky, are you ok? ?

It does it's namesake proud! I rarely ever buy a pedal (between the KPA & FX8, I'm pretty good, and it becomes a tangle to put on more) but... this one is def Keef sound that adds the right amount of roughness to your tone. The pedal should be called "Instant Ballz"

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• IN:

Freqout (Finally)

BE100 Deluxe

BKP Silo Bridge

OUT:

AXE FX3 and FC12

Xotic Super Sweet boost/buffer

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Bought:

- An awful lot of pedals: Strymon Dig, El Cap, Flint, King of Tone and several other drives, EH Pitchfork, Volume Pedal and tuner, expensive cabling and power supply for pedalboard, etc.

- Komplete midi Keyboard

- Ipad (only dedicated for reading sheet music live)

- Imac 27" (mostly for music production)

Sold: Nothing

With some of the artists I play with on smaller venues, I'm enjoying pedalboards a lot again. As good as the Kemper effects are, when playing mostly with effects/textures, I find the pedalboard/stompbox configuration to work way better. Had several music production gigs spontaneously come up this year so I had to get geared up for that.

• Bought:

Les Paul Junior Singlecut 2019 (those new Gibsons from the "Originals Collection" are fucking amazing!)

Source Audio Vertigo (the KPA trem doesn't cut it and I needed one)

Boss CE-2w (CE-1 and CE-2 in one pedal, yummi)

Throbak KZ-115 for my R8

Mode Machines Professor (dedicated MIDI controller for U-He Repro-5, which makes it actually not only sounding but also feeling like a real Prophet-5)

A shitload of plugins (Relab LX-480, Sonsig Rev-A, Transatlantik Plate, Capitol Chambers, Chandler Curvebender, U-He Hive, MTron Pro, IKM Leslie Collection)

Sold:

Nothing

• Some very-tasty plugin effects there, mate, and of course Repro-5 kicks some serious butt.

Jealous! :pinch:

Thanks. But I forgot the most used plugin I bought last year: Lindell 80 series. I use that to replace the UAD 1073 , since I haven't got enough DSP-power to run an instance on all channels. The Lindell fixed that problem for me ;) And it comes with a separate bus emulation as well.

Repro is really brilliant. This is one of the very few emulations that it is on par with what the Kemper does for guitar amplification.

• Thanks. But I forgot the most used plugin I bought last year: Lindell 80 series. I use that to replace the UAD 1073 , since I haven't got enough DSP-power to run an instance on all channels. The Lindell fixed that problem for me ;) And it comes with a separate bus emulation as well.

Repro is really brilliant. This is one of the very few emulations that it is on par with what the Kemper does for guitar amplification.

That's the reason I left that UAD rabbit hole a longer time ago. Vultures are what they are. They make their plugins more and more hungry so you need more and more to be able to run enough of instances of the plugins. No need for dsp this days. The only plugin I miss is the Roland D chorus. No one has made another great version of it yet.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Wow, when I see some lists it leeds me to the say: I hope that when I'm gone my wife doesn't sell my gear to the price I promised to her ;)

In:

Gibson SG Standard 61 2019

Tone Junkie Profiles Marshal 2555, MilkMan, Tweed Twin

Strings

MiniMac i7

Logic Pro X

RME Fireface UC

Tutorial Video LogicPro X

K+M Tablet Holder

Ultimate Mic Stand

Out:

Weber Alnico Blue Dog

Weber Alnico Silver Bell

Steinberg MR 816X

Steinberg UR22

Steinberg Cubase 7.5 Pro License

Weehbo Plexdrive

zuviel thread macht blead

Edited 2 times, last by Wogo ().

• Thanks. But I forgot the most used plugin I bought last year: Lindell 80 series. I use that to replace the UAD 1073 , since I haven't got enough DSP-power to run an instance on all channels. The Lindell fixed that problem for me ;) And it comes with a separate bus emulation as well.

Is that the native "Lindell Audio 80 Series" from Plugin Alliance? I grabbed it last year too. 8o

I agree. I haven't played it but have listened to many demos and it sounds sublime.

• Bought:

- OD/DS/Fuzz Pedals: The Duellist, Expresso FX Fuzz, King of Tone, BluesBreaker, Klon clone RYRA

- Custom pedalboard for KP Remote and Pedals

- VoodooLabs HEX to switch the pedals from the KP Remote

- Duesenberg Mike Campbell I guitar

Sold:

- Ibanez S 470

Wishlist 2020:

- FreqOut Pedal

- Gibson LP R0 Custom Shop

- Sell all my OD pedals bought in 2019, since Kemper 2020 updates will nail down all the best OD/DS and Fuzzes in the planet!!!

• Sold/selling:

Stratocaster

G&L bass

Strymon Lex

TC Electronic Hall of Fame

TC Electronic Polytune 2 mini

GigRig QuarterMaster QMX-6

Line 6 M5

Xotic SP compressor

Attenuator

Cab sim

Fender Deville amp

Yamaha LL16 12 string acoustic

Bought:

Duesenberg Starplayer TV

Bozo 12-string acoustic

Yamaha LL16 12-string acoustic

LR Baggs Anthem SL

Reunion Blues gig bag

• I try NOT to buy plugins. I've got a ton. But if I'm on a mix and demo a plugin and it's working for what I'm doing, I'll buy it.

But I instantly feel dirty and too embarrassed to mention it.

My goal is to buy MORE hardware than plugins over all. Eventually to have proper chains.

Currently I have a robust recording chain. At some point, I'll work on the mixing & mastering chain.

IF I get a better AD/DA. This way I'll be way less dependent upon software and keep the hardware for years.

(assuming I've got years and useful ones at that! fingers crossed & counting blessings)

So that said, I got 2 more plugins, but I'm not telling!

• Haven't sold anything, but I bought a Townsend Labs Sphere L22, the Native Instruments
    Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's Edition, a pair of Neumann KH310 Monitors aaand...
    ...Aerodrums 8) Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...and finally a Remote and an EP1-KP Pedal
    for each of my two Kemper Heads, cause I plan on starting to gig again...

• You can whisper which two. we won't be telling anyone.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau