Near done with Kemper, any suggestions before it goes up for sale?

• Déjà vu:

Reached a wall with my Kemper

Dude, you've been dancing around providing a sample again. Without it, it's just talk from all of us, and talk's cheap in this instance 'cause we've covered all the obvious ground both now and a year and a half ago. In order to move forward, we need to hear something.

Nothing's really changed since I posted that last sample. Gave it a year and a half, it didn't get any better. I was advised by many to give it some time, so I did.

I said back then, words to the effect of, I plug into my battered old Marshall and I love the sound. I plug into the Kemper and its ok. It never really changed after that. I did compare it side by side with the Helix, the latter was awful. So I would say the Kemper is the best bit of digital gear I've tried. But my ears are tired from it now. I've played with digital distortion for 15 years at this point, and I'm getting burned out.
    Its refreshing just to play through tube, without spending hours trying to dial out a digital harshness and coldness which never really goes away.

But I'm still open to that magic trick that opens up the Kemper to me, in a whole new light. Some of you may hate me for dissing the Kemper, but you can't say I didn't try.

• I don't hate anybody.

I am somewhat confused though.

I've played for years live and at home with tubes, pod (two versions), and the Kemper.

Kemper I've used with a PA, DXR10, XiTone MBritt cab, and Bose L1 MII gigging and practicing in the studio and at home.

Also at home with a pair of Yamaha HS80-M monitors.

I don't know what to say.

Maybe my ears suck. I am 63 and thought I knew what sounded OK.

My lead player goes wirelessly out to the dance floor and comes back saying that we sound awesome out there. I think so too.

Do you play out?

Do you play with a band at all?

Just curious and totally not judging. :)

• With respect, some of you aren't reading what I wrote.

Here's the latest profile I downloaded. He gives samples that have not been mixed. It sounds good, which is why I bought it.

The results I got weren't close in terms of quality. And yes, I know different guitars sound better but the results shouldn't be inferior.

I had the same result with Mix Berlin's JCM800. I was so disappointed and experiences like that are a huge turnoff for Kemper.

There's so, so many bad profiles between the rig exchange and commercial bait and switches.

I stick with Big Hairy Profiles, Nick K, Cililab, TMS and a few others.

Even though I enjoy most of the profiles from those sellers, I find myself using my AXE FX III more and more. Firmware 11 is a game changer.

Best luck and happy new year.

• I had some of the same issues, I realized a lot of profiles are made mix ready so its not going to be like playing in front of an amp, I have good luck adjusting definition, clarity, and I run pure cab on about 4, the biggest thing for me though was I use the same cab for almost all my profiles. Its from A/M audio and its a marshall 4x12 cab from most of their free profiles, even mbritt and tone junkie profiles that I like are waaaayy better on that cab and I would give that a try. I got their free profiles and on the cab button you can save just the cabinet for your own cab preset and add it to any amp. Changed everything for me and now I couldn't imagine getting rid of the Kemper.

• ^^^^^^^

This right here. So many want the Kemper to sound like an amp in a room. It's not. It's the sound of an amp, through a mic, with outboard effects.

I've played with so many guitarists that put more value into their blasting sound on stage than what comes through the PA. They compromise the entire band sound just for their ego. I think the reason Kempers sound so good live is that the WHOLE BAND sounds great because the vocal mics aren't being pummeled by a wall of Marshalls and the singers can hear what's going on.

• Well, I was about to post a sample as things were getting a little friendlier.

Why wait? You don't do us a favour with posting a sample, people are asking for it because they want to help you. So if you don't, nobody cares as the disadvantage is on your side not on our.

And let me add the following: It all has to do with a certain mindest. Think of all the users (including tons of well known pros) who are getting a decent sound with the Kemper. If it's possible for them, it must be possible for you as well.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Terence, you are cutting your nose off to spite your face. You’re the only person that’s going to suffer from your reactions.

I’ll ask again - Have you profiled your own amps?

• I have usually found the sound quite the same as seller demos. Any change that you run the Kemper output too high? I did at first saturate my pre-amp inputs with the very hot master output from the Kemper. Kemper gives some +16dB at zero level, if I recall correctly.

• And let me add the following: It all has to do with a certain mindest. Think of all the users (including tons of well known pros) who are getting a decent sound with the Kemper. If it's possible for them, it must be possible for you as well.

Your not reading what I wrote. I clearly said I'd given it an amount of time, based on the positive reviews. There's a sample on one of the first threads I wrote here. People ruled out the Kemper and nothing has changed since then.

• Your not reading what I wrote. I clearly said I'd given it an amount of time, based on the positive reviews. There's a sample on one of the first threads I wrote here. People ruled out the Kemper and nothing has changed since then.

Without an audio sample no one has anyway to identify if the Kemper is at fault. It makes no sense why you refuse to upload audio samples and allow people to help. "Well, I was about to post a sample as things were getting a little friendlier. Looks like we're back to Line 6." is just sort of way to prevent anyone from helping you. Many people have suggested many thing to help and you seem to always come back with the "I've done that", I shouldnt need to do that", "Youre being mean to me, I wont". There is only so much people can do to help when you wont show anyone what you are specifically having issues with. Would you get mad at a mechanic if you showed up in an Uber and they told you to bring the car there? Would you tell them that you wouldnt bring the car because they were not friendly enough? Make no sense.

At this point, you dont like the Kemper, you dont want to like the Kemper and that is obvious.

• Any chance of hearing your Ax FX 3 man?

• Are you running fuzz in that clip? What is in the effect chain?

Nothing, its just the profile.

This is what its supposed to be apparently.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.