Near done with Kemper, any suggestions before it goes up for sale?

• I don't know whether this is relevant to this thread or not but my (limited) experience of Kemper profiles is that to get a good sound you really need to be using (1) the same type of pickup as was used to refine the profile (ie HB or SC) and (2) don't fiddle with the gain control, ie leave it where it was on the profile. If the gain isn't right for your sound, then find another profile that is. IME deviating away from the gain used in the profile totally changes the colour / characteristic of the sound and to my ears usually ends up sounding horrible.

I'm using my powered KPA with 2 Celestion F12-X200s in a Marshall 2x12. Needs some top taking off above 8-9khz to get rid of the fizz as the Celestions are pretty "toppy", but sounds pretty awesome to me. In a lot of respects the KPA sounds as good or even better than my amps (Marshall 6100, 6101, 2203 & 2558).

PS I tried profiling my own amps but the results sucked so I'm sticking to "paid for" profiles for the time being :)

I can get pretty close to that elusive "in the room" sound and with my band it sounds fab in the mix.

BTW I'm using mainly TMS, Tone Junkie, M Britt and Guido Bungenstock profiles.

Terence T I feel your pain mate.

• This is why I was reluctant to post the sample.

It's a fair assessment, though. This is the internet.

Your concerns this time are near verbatim to what you posted in mid-2018. One can't help but wonder. Why you care if someone incorrectly identifies you as a troll or not makes no sense at all. Fearing ridicule from audio makes even less sense to me.

None of us would recognize the other if we crossed paths in real life. Who frickin' cares? Hearing what you're hearing is one way to try and diagnose. I mean......I've made worse sounds in front of hundreds of people on multiple occasions. No one cares. Some even say "That was cool!!!"

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I think there might be something wrong with your sample. Something in your chain might not be right. One of my main out had become defective on mine after a few years (Kemper took tare of that in an exemplary fashion).

I'm reading this thread coming back in my hotel room after playing an arena, so I had to chime in. If you want to "hear clips" of other people, just go outside; it's being used everywhere at the moment, from major recording engineers to the live circuit, the Kemper is literally everywhere in the pro world without you knowing it because it's hidden in a rack behind the fake Marshall stacks or on some number one hit where you have no idea it's been used. No need to prove that it's capable, just do your homework correctly and you'll figure it out.

One other poster had actually posted a sample, and respect to him for that. Your shrugging your shoulders and saying 'do your homework.' Do you actually have any suggestions? Line 6 was also used by major recording engineers and the live circuit. Whats your point?

• It's a fair assessment, though. This is the internet.

Your concerns this time are near verbatim to what you posted in mid-2018. One can't help but wonder. Why you care if someone incorrectly identifies you as a troll or not makes no sense at all. Fearing ridicule from audio makes even less sense to me.

The questions on Kemper go the same path.

-I have problems with the Kemper.
      Post us a sample.

-I'd rather not.
    Then its your fault, we're trying to help you.

-
    Ok, here's the sample.
    That's not a Kemper, you're a troll. Its your fault, a Kemper doesn't sound like that.

Same Line 6 mentality. Most probably the same people. Wouldn't say it fills me with fear, just find it totally pathetic.

I've posted what solution I'll be attempting. To anyone who has just bought a Kemper and not happy with it, take it back. Don't bother ask here and don't bother post your samples. There's some good people on this forum, but a product that attracts Line 6 morons in droves is a bad sign.

• Ok. so this guy here makes a great comparisons. The first is a single RAW track, the next is often double tracked and finally in the mix. Everything compared to real amp . I think your problem lies in listening to the raw mono track. The more elements the harder to hear these digital nuances and imperfections. Accept this or sell the KPA . That's it from me.

http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/1…eOZHMWPf1RRkpSxmL8fvR8n1k

• Hey Terence.

I think something might be terrible wrong.

That clip you posted does indeed sound awful.

This might actually be good as I don't think I can sound that bad even If I wanted, which most probably means that there's something that can be fixed.

I'm also using mostly TopJimi profiles (the AFD pack.)

And it does sound exactly like his videos (guitar differences apart).

It translates well from Gibsons to Strats or Teles (which I do own).

That clip just doesn't sound right.

My first thought was.. dead batteries on active pickups.

Clip attached from a random Diezel profile I found With a p90 Les Paul.

Way to much gain and a bit bass heavy and apologize for the random noodling.

Just to give you an idea...

Where are you based?

I believe if you could sit down with a fellow kemper user with it's own Guitar and Kemper you would be able troubleshoot whatever issue you have there pretty quickly.

I think you have some issue there for sure.

Also I believe a lot of people here should make an effort to be more polite.

If they can't don't reply.

I think he's coming here humbly asking for help.

• Know what the distinct commonality between both camps is?

You and the snark you throw the moment anyone says something you don’t like.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• What I'll be doing is going down to the shop I bought it, and seeing if they'll let me run it through something and A/B it with another Kemper. There's a small problem with the screen anyway, so its due a repair under warranty. I'll ask the company to test the unit for any sound quality issues. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'll sell the unit.

This is a very good next step

• I agree, that's why I asked to post :

1. Clean DI recording

2. Profile ( free profile )

3. KPA OUT recording.

@Terence T we can reamp it just to compare . This will tell you and us where the problem is. Please do that or this conversation dosn't make sense anymore.

• This is a great suggestion.

Of course, I do get that you have put in lots of time trying to get acceptable tone.... So at some point you should consider selling your KPA. It isn't for everyone. No amp is.

As you yourself have stated, others have great clips on the KPA. it is possible to get tone nervana from the device. It might not be the best piece of gear for YOU to reach great time with though.

If you can find someone local that uses a KPA, you should spend some time with them to see if they can help.

• Ok, but I'll send the files in a message so it doesn't start another argument. Switching to my amp for a few days though, as my ears need a rest.

• I don't pretend to say I have "good ears", but that does sound fizzy to me. And fizzier than the YT demo of that pack.

To me it sounds like total sh##e. I have an old Vox Tonelab which sounds better. Have mailed Kemper asking then to fully check it over when they get it for repair.

• Have you done a factory reset on your Kemper?

Make sure of the following cab related settings -

1. Cab section isn’t locked.

2. Output doesn’t have the cab disabled.

When it comes to level -

3. Input Sens settings aren’t too high.

4. Output level isn’t too high.

Neither input light nor output lights should go any further than bright green (any yellow at all means clipping on either input or output).

Remember as will all digital audio equipment make tonal changes and raise distortion and compression with the controls, not by driving inputs!

This means by using the gain control or compression in the Kemper and the level on your amp (either on the speakers or on your audio interface in this case) rather than pushing an input or output on either the Kemper or your audio interface.

Then check that some effects are disabled.

6. Pure cab is initially disabled (you may or may not like the effect on the tone).

7. “Space” is also disabled.

After that check your guitar and monitoring.

8. Are you comparing through the same monitors/speakers as the Kemper?

9. Do you have active pickups? Have you replaced the battery recently?

Finally once again you haven’t answered my question - have you profiled your own amps?

• Done all the above Per, but thanks for the suggestions. No active pickups.

Didn't buy it to profile my own amp, but to get profiles of amps I don't have access to.

• Done all the above Per, but thanks for the suggestions. No active pickups.

Didn't buy it to profile my own amp, but to get profiles of amps I don't have access to.

Me neither.

I still get the feeling that the interface is playing games with you.

With all the controls (Inputs/outputs/EQ etc) in their default/out of the box state, and the monitors plugged directly to the Kemper main outs, a new/untouched profile should sound great at volume.