Near done with Kemper, any suggestions before it goes up for sale?

• sample.zip

Done with a Highway one strat, topjimi Jubilee profile, spdif to RME Fireface.

No post processing.

That sounds terrible. If that was the best of what I could get out of mine, I'd be fed up.

I'm no fan boy but I definitely get good sounds out of mine, with no processing required. I am a set believer (despite a number here stating I'm wrong) in using profiles created with similar pickups/guitar to what I use. And I've been massively disappointed with most commercial packs I purchased too. Not naming names but I was was shocked that anyone would be able to use most of them. I'll now only use free ones on Rig Manager.

I'd love for you to post a DI track so that we could reamp it and help you find a solution.

• Terrence....

Has anyone here yet posted a sample using the same profile? If not, if you would like to send the exact profile you used to someone here, and they promise to not tweak it so as to skew the test, they could then provide a sound sample from their setup, and compare to your sound sample.

Following the honor system, that profile should then removed from the testers Kemper.

Thoughts?

Cheers and good luck!

Todd in Chicago

P.S. I ordered the Top Jimi Dano100 pack, and I think it's pretty cool. I could post a sample here....but my poor, limited ability to play would call into question the results! But I could do that and embarrass myself, if that profile would mean anything to you.

• Why does it have to be complicated playing? Anyone with the same profile agree on a chord or simple riff and upload a sample.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Thanks for those who've made suggestions and helpful comments, Kemper on its way back to home base. I'll see what they say.

Hope you get it resolved. As I mentioned before, a great number of profile packs from well respected sellers have proved to be garbage to my ears; often I wondered how they had been able to make something sound so bad. After stumbling around getting a little closer, trying profile after profile of amps I've loved or considered I would, i found my perfect base sound already in the box (either factory content or Rig Manager I can't recall which). It turns out that a Splawn QuickRod was what I was looking for but just didn't know.

• Hope you get it resolved. As I mentioned before, a great number of profile packs from well respected sellers have proved to be garbage to my ears; often I wondered how they had been able to make something sound so bad. After stumbling around getting a little closer, trying profile after profile of amps I've loved or considered I would, i found my perfect base sound already in the box (either factory content or Rig Manager I can't recall which). It turns out that a Splawn QuickRod was what I was looking for but just didn't know.

I've dealt with a lot of dejection based on this premise. Honestly could never gel with MBritt, Top Jimi, Amp Factory, ReampZone, Bert, Mattfig, and many other common names selling profiles. Part of it is the profiles not being dialed in for my pickups and the Kemper feels veryyy sensitive to pickups. There's no crime in that, though I also hear audio samples from lots of people who are in love with these profiles and all it demonstrates is tone is subjective because 90% of the time I wouldn't desire such a sound.

Basically, for someone getting the Kemper, I wouldn't suggest it unless they also plan on making profiles. This isn't like an Axe-FX or Helix where if you don't like the sound you can tweak it to taste, there are so many times where you have to ditch massive amounts of profiles to find a few gems. For all the people who complain about "tweaking" when it comes to traditional modelers, they spend the same amount of time profile hunting to achieve the same result. I would say that the Kemper method is unique and cool, but also more frustrating. You're not just getting amps, you're getting full signal chains: amp > cab > mic > mic placement > mic preamp > pedals in the chain > cables, and anything else in the chain which affects the tone in some small way. That's a lot of variables to be stuck with if you don't care for the sound, whereas creating your own profiles means you're immediately left with something much closer to a tone you know you like.

Don't get me wrong, I have a number of commercial profiles still on my KPA, some I use quite often, but many are either profiles I've made or gems I've found after auditioning thousands on rig exchange. Some are also freebies shared in the FB group or here that aren't on RE. Still, I wouldn't advise getting a KPA if that's all you're looking to do because it's a time-suck and vortex of frustration IME. Then again, some people seem to be suspiciously over the moon with each and every profile they try, so I guess we all have different standards.

• Basically, for someone getting the Kemper, I wouldn't suggest it unless they also plan on making profiles.

Still, I wouldn't advise getting a KPA if that's all you're looking to do because it's a time-suck and vortex of frustration IME. Then again, some people seem to be suspiciously over the moon with each and every profile they try, so I guess we all have different standards.

Interesting how everybody is different, and tones are subjective.

I play in a cover band, and although I don't like every profile I do find many useful ones.

If it was as much of a PITA as you say, I wouldn't keep it.

And I ain't goin' back anytime soon. :)

• I play in a cover band, and although I don't like every profile I do find many useful ones.

I think that philosophy is a bit different in that cover bands seek to replicate the source material, not so much find your own sound. Never said many profiles weren't useful, though. If people find tonal bliss in the Kemper and commercial profiles, I'm genuinely happy for them and not trying to convince them otherwise.

• ^^Terence , this is definitely the best advice going forward ^^