Speaker for lower volumes

• Hi everyone

I am a novice when it comes to everything studio but I like playing guitar and I own a Kemper but at present I am playing through low end monitor speakers and I can’t get an enjoyable sound. In fact this has stopped me picking up the guitar for a long time. This needs to change.

I am not looking to gig - hopefully one day record something - and I enjoy playing guitar at the upper end of what could be considered bedroom volume.

So what sort of speaker should I look at to compliment the Kemper in the best way? Would something like the DXR10, that often is recommended, still be good for this application or is it overkill?

Advice for a novice would be much appreciated.

• Hi Jim,

if I get your "upper end of bedroom volume" right, then PA speakers aren't the right choice. You rather get studio monitors AND treat your room a bit (with good absorbers and a high pile rug).

There's a gazillion of studio monitors and there's something for pretty much every budget. Just make sure they're not too small (no 5" woofers, go for 7"+ instead for better low end response).

Popular nearfield monitor choices for different budgets (price low to high):

1. Yamaha HS8

2. Adam A7X

3. KS digital C8
    4. KS digital C88

5. Event Opal

Again ... treating your room is AT LEAST as important as the speaker choice. Don't underestimate this! :)

• A bit overkill in my opinion.

You can either go with studio monitors or FRFR cabinets (like the DXR10).

There are plenty of posts about studio monitors in the forum. Plenty of options for all kind of budgets... I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 and they are good. I'm thinking of switching to a pair of Genelecs though. I'd like to have smaller monitors so I can put them on my desk in the living room.

As for FRFR's, there are also a ton of options. Mission Engineering, Headrush, Yamaha DXR, Friedman, Laney, just to name a few. I don't have any experience with those, but you'll find plenty of information about them in the forum. I'm currently looking into the Blueamps Junior. It's a german dude building high end frfr's.

But honestly, event with an investment of 300 to 500 eur, you can get good results.

• lightbox has totally nailed it. I would definitely go for studio monitors over a PA style FRFR cab. But above all don’t underestimate the effect of some basic room treatment. I would spend more on treatment than on gear if possible. Relatively modest speakers can sound very good in a well treated room while a bad room can make £10k speakers sound like shit. Most people spend way more than they need to on gear in a quest to improve their sound and mixes when a few hundred quid of Rockwool or OC703 and some basic acoustic knowledge would have given far better results.

• Get a pair! You really want to listen stereo, no matter if it's just for the great stereo effects you can use in your guitar sounds or at least the stereo backing tracks. Makes a world of a difference, adds depth and "room" to your sound. Much more enjoyable. ;)

• I use a pair of Mackie MR824 studio monitors and they sound really good. There's also a smaller and less powerful MR524 if the room is small and you want to save some money.

I also agree that you should get a pair rather than just 1.