U2 Delay settings

• I am having problems dialing in the standard Edge U2 Delay setting 1x dotted 8th + 1x Quarter note Delay on the Kemper to make it sound right.

With my Zoom i have 0 issues nailing the delays perfectly but for some reason on the kemper either the repeats do not cut through or it is too unclear.

I tried the Dual Delay, 2 single delays, some profiles from rig manager.

Maybe somebody has a useful U2 Delay setting to share?

• look at the high cut value in the delay and make sure you aren’t making the repeats too dark.

also, there is function called more cut or something similar whit rolls off the top end even faster to let you get more of a Carbon Copy type repeat try toggling that on and off to check you aren’t accidentally dulling the repeats.

i’m not an Edge fan but I believe his two delays run in parallel. If that’s the case then Dual Delay should be the right tool for the job. I also think he runs his delays into the front of a slightly dirty amp so try placing the delay fx in stomp D rather than the traditional Dly slot.

• Maybe try the edge profiles by our friends at tone junkie?

https://tonejunkiestore.com/kemper-fx-presets

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• The actual way Edge got the sound he got was by going into a single delay that did a quick slap, then stereo out into 2 mono delays set to different times. The output of each delay went into a VOX AC30. The two amps were placed side by side with some distance between them (I think it was around 1-2ft). By having both amps mic'ed close together, there was some ambient bleed from one into the other which finished off the chain.

I have a rig with this in it; however, I currently don't have a USB drive (just moved and it is one of the many "missing" things) to post it here with.

If you are interested, I could try to put it up on the rig exchange. Also, I posted a thread with the settings a while back that you can search for.

• Thank you for all suggestions. Will certainly check the ToneJunkie fx preset later today, i like their stuff and bought quite some..

The Maurizio ones do not work for me

Otherwise, please note that i perfectly know what tone i am after and how to dial it in in (I played in a U2 Tribute band a few years back and had no problem recreating all tones with my Zoom G3X.

If I could just make the delays sound like with my Zoom G3X here (Pride cover)

This is me playing through my Zoom here. And this is the delay sound I would like to recreate in the Kemper.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Of course there is always the option to put the Zoom in the effects loop. But I would really like to use just the Kemper

• Awesome ! When you create that sound on the Kemper please let me know. I want to learn that song.

-Computer:Imac-OS Catalina

-Kemper non-powered rack version

-Kemper Remote

• The actual way Edge got the sound he got was by going into a single delay that did a quick slap, then stereo out into 2 mono delays set to different times. The output of each delay went into a VOX AC30. The two amps were placed side by side with some distance between them (I think it was around 1-2ft). By having both amps mic'ed close together, there was some ambient bleed from one into the other which finished off the chain.

I have a rig with this in it; however, I currently don't have a USB drive (just moved and it is one of the many "missing" things) to post it here with.

If you are interested, I could try to put it up on the rig exchange. Also, I posted a thread with the settings a while back that you can search for.

Yes i would love to try that out. Thank you

• OK. So I got something to work with. At least for "Pride". Not perfect yet

Here is my tone sofar.

https://soundcloud.com/chaijen/kemper-pride-test This is done on the split position of my Vigier. ( It does sound better with the Tele)

It is based on the Tonejunkie Preset . I edited slightly and added a Delay in front of the amp.

What I find strange is that I had to use the legacy delay. The Dual Delay would just not work.

Still struggling with the settings for "Where the Streets have no name". Also tried a few profiles from rig manager. But the important "Delay popping" for the repeats is just not happening..yet

• have you tried experimenting with the low cut and the cut more functions. By reducing the low end on each repeat (raising the low cut threshold) the repeats should pop more.

Dual Delay is definitely the tool for the job though:

from the manual

“Legacy Delay

The Legacy Delay is based on the first delay algorithm made for the PROFILER. The main purpose is to maintain full backward compatibility to Rigs that have been created before the advent of PROFILER operating system 5.0. The architecture of the Legacy Delay is like that of the Two Tap Delay. However, it features a bandpass filter with the parameters Center Frequency and Bandwidth – this is in contrast to the other delays, that all utilize the more intuitive low cut and high cut filter. If you are going for deeper edits of an already existing Legacy Delay, we recommend changing the type to Two Tap Delay, or any other type, by using the TYPE knob. This way, you will benefit from their improved parameter set.

If you are going to build a new delay from scratch, you should avoid the Legacy Delay for the same reasons.”

• Your delays sound louder than the original guitar because it is before the amp. This reduces the clarity of playing a bit, but you are getting there.

Surely dual delay cannot work because the stomps before the amp are mono?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• OneEng1 yes i would love to try out your preset!

Got my new thumb drive today :) (yea).

I had uploaded it some time ago, but have tweaked it a little and re-uploaded it today.

Search for "U2 Streets".

You can play around for more feedback on the 2 delays, or to get a different mix of the 2 delays (in the dual delay) to get the desired amount of repeats. Also the main effect mix seems to have a pretty profound effect on the sound as well.

Let me know if it is close for you.

• Thank you very much. I had the chance to try your patch. The delay setting is really interesting and I can work with that. I am just trying out a few other profiles and reverbs with it. Very helpful indeed. Thanks!

• You are welcome. When you get done tweaking, I would love to have a copy of what you end up with. If you use a commercial profile,.let me.know and I'll purchase it and match you settings.