Doug and Pat Do Kemper... Way Cool!!!

• and the rigs dont clean up well when turning down vol knob

thats the problem, and the actual sound is way off the original sounds from their videos

that’s not good.

Very surprising to hear as I would have expected them to set the amps the way they like them then have the other guy just hit the profile button. Let’s face it, actually making a profile isn’t rocket science. The skill is in setting the amp and mic positioning. They seem to be able to do both fairly well for their show so it seems strange they couldn’t do it for making a profile.

• that’s not good.

Very surprising to hear as I would have expected them to set the amps the way they like them then have the other guy just hit the profile button. Let’s face it, actually making a profile isn’t rocket science. The skill is in setting the amp and mic positioning. They seem to be able to do both fairly well for their show so it seems strange they couldn’t do it for making a profile.

i very much doubt they had any hand in the profiling other than lending the amp. Although they do say it's been a very long process .. but for sure they did A/B the final profiles with the original so if they let the profiles out like that i assume that's how they perceive the amp sounds and that the profiles do it justice. So possibly just not my cup of tea :)

but it's also a very barebones rig setup .. what i quite like with mbritt, tonejunkie and many rig exchange profiles is that most of them are built with a variety of stomps and fx which go well with that particular profile and also have the gain settings properly set (all the D&P profiles show the same gain setting in the rig manager list view.).

I guess i'm just disaponted there aren't any clean or lightly crunchy sound at all to be had with those profiles.

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …

Edited 2 times, last by stickman ().

• that’s interesting. I haven’t tried tham so can’t comment on how good or bad they sound to me. The thing I find interesting though is how each of us perceives things differently. One of the things I hate about MBritt, Tone Junkie etc (I love theor basic amp profiles by the way!) is the way they load everything up with stomps and FX. Pretty much every TJ rig has a Compressor turned on by default and at least one Green Scream loaded. Then they have so much delay and reverb that I can’t imagine how anyone could use them without reducing those by about 90% ? I still buy the packs and love many of them once I turn off the FX but it’s an extra stage I need to go through or I need to lock everything to audition them then remember to unlock everything again afterwards. I would love all profile packs to come as “bare bones” amps by default. I know I am probably in the minority and everyone else’s opinion is at least as valid as mine. I just always find it amazing how we can all have such different opinions of the same things. Humans are weird ?

• One of the things I hate about MBritt, Tone Junkie etc (I love theor basic amp profiles by the way!) is the way they load everything up with stomps and FX.

:D just goes to show ... i'm kinda with you on the TJ on by default thing but i quite like seeing other peoples aproach to building tone .. i can always load my stom and fx presets over it. with mbrit i like that everything is quite subtle they are the only rigs i found where i don't have to turn down the reverb first thing, often i reach for another reverb or delay only to finally settle back on what came with the rig just with different values. so i go to TJs for inspiration sometimes but mostly i like the bare straight to amp thing mbritt has goin. if i'm just lookin for a straight to amp profile i'l almost always go to mbritt cause i find them the most convincing or authentic sounding (with a bit of twiddling to make them less dark for lower volumes). for stomps i rarely use the kemper just an EP boost pedal and my crybaby.

• The #8 profile, with a little boost and delay sounds damn good to me, with my strat. Nice and dirty blues tone.

so i tried that one again and some of the others with a couple of different guitars and i'm just not diggin it, what it is mostly is the lack of bass or body for lack of a better word. dialing down the gain on the K or on the guitar volume to clean it up thins it out even more. i'll give it another go when i'm in heavy rock noodlin mode some day :P

• Then they have so much delay and reverb that I can’t imagine how anyone could use them without reducing those by about 90% ?

dude .. don't even get me started on people overloading their verbs ... spring reverbs especially .. the arguments i've had over the years ... but i resent the implication that there can ever be too much delay on a guitar sound .. at times, for trippy rhytmic fx or soaring solos that's perfectly legit, too much reverb is just silly crap in any situation

• In the youtube video, aren’t they playing the profile back through the original cabinet and then they mic it up again for the video? So both the Kemper profile and and the real thing are mic’ed all the time? I don’t think we get to hear the Kemper profile directly. And if you don’t use that cabinet it will sound differently.