My best Marshall profiles so far

• Hello guys and happy new Year!

Since I got myself the Kemper I have constantly been chasing the best possible marshall tones. I like very much classic rock and early metal/hard rock tones from bands like Led Zep, ACDC, Dio, Van Halen, Extreme, Whitesnake etc

I have tried almost everything, Top Jimi, ReampZone, Britt, Tone Junkie, TAF, Suckerfreegear, Bert, Mattfig, Guido, Sinmix, AGL to name the most known vendors, and of course thousands of profiles from RE and posts in the forum. Just to be clear, I haven't purchased profiles from all of these vendors, because in some cases I tried their free packs and were pretty far away from what I like (Tone Junkie, Bert, Guido, TAF)

My favourites so far were Top Jimi's because they have that "character" I like, but there is always something missing. Sometimes they sound thin, if I increase mids to "fatten" them up they get that "wah" sound, if i increase the gain they are very noisy and have to add noisegate which alters the tone in a bad way (changes the pick attack and also adds that wah effect, I think guys at Kemper should take a look at this, along with making the stomps better), they don't respond well to the volume pot, and the clean/low gain profiles imho are very-very bad.

And recently I realized that they have a pretty weird sound, I can't describe it exactly. It's like artifacts, or something like every profile was refined with single-coil pickups and has that SC sound to it, even though I play mostly with a PRS cu22 with HB's.

So I started profile-chasing again, and found Katzbach profiles. and OMG, I think it's exactly what I have been looking for. The cleans and low gain profiles are great (I have to mention here that AGL's profiles are also great for Marshall clean/low gain tones), and the higher gain profiles are fat with sustain, not very noisy, respond well to the volume pot and they are very tweekable. I think I've found my favourites!

So, I made a quick clip with some noodling to share my joy:

https://drive.google.com/open?…zrasMts5EchWap9vMchPgPVb2

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the seller! Hope this post will help somebody who has been in the same situation!

Thanks!

• Yeah, Katzbach is great! I think I understand how you mean this "wah" sound. The solution for me was the MIX knob. I never use 100% of green scream or any of boost effects.

• balazs indeed, I always keep the stomps around 50%. And the cocked wah profiles are definitely not Kemper's fault, since many profiles don't have that, but there are so many that have that effect. I think that the noise gates and the stomps can be fixed though, it's like adding a wah to the chain.

CelticGibson I bought all too, it's a steal for 25 euros! So many great usable profiles in there, tweakable and without cocking wah problems (well there are some but mostly the ones that were profiled with actual stomps in front of the amp-that may be a thing of the profiling process I don't know)! And the cleans are fat with lots of sustain without using compressors! Damn how didn't I know about these earlier!

In the clip I posted it's one single profile, and goes from acceptable pushed cleans to awesome high gain only with the volume pot! Can't reccomend these enough lol!

• Downloaded their free profiles and I was impressed. Just when I was about to buy their bundle, I found out they don't accept PayPal. :(

Yes, they need to fix their site, payments and the overall experience indeed. I purchased the full pack and got them via mail 30 hours later, because the mate who runs the business is on tour lol!

But worth the wait 100%. I payed through paypal though, by sending the money to the vendor's email. After registering in the site and making the order, it says to make a transfer in a bank account or to paypal direct to his email. Did you try that?

• Hm where would one find the freebies to try?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Downloaded their free profiles and I was impressed. Just when I was about to buy their bundle, I found out they don't accept PayPal. :(

I just bought the full pack and was able to use PayPal ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I like the Katzbach profiles. But you have to consider, they are HEAVILY tweaked rigs!

Almost all parameters have been used, sometimes in a quite unusual way. There are some parameters where very small adjustments have a big impact on sound. But Katzbach have no fear tweaking quite unorthodox:)

If you like the results you can try to "transfer" some of the settings to other profiles and you will be surprised. When I remember correctly (not at the Kemper atm) they also tweaked the settings in the cab section.

• I like the Katzbach profiles. But you have to consider, they are HEAVILY tweaked rigs!

Almost all parameters have been used, sometimes in a quite unusual way. There are some parameters where very small adjustments have a big impact on sound. But Katzbach have no fear tweaking quite unorthodox:)

If you like the results you can try to "transfer" some of the settings to other profiles and you will be surprised. When I remember correctly (not at the Kemper atm) they also tweaked the settings in the cab section.

Indeed!

But personally, I don't mind. If it sounds good and feels good it's fine by me. I have come across plenty of awful rigs with all setings at zero, and the opposite :) Getting every profile with unpleasant reverb or delay added like many vendors do is much more annoying ^^

In general and as far I've seen until now these profiles are very tweekable unlike other ones which are being messed up with with half a db of treble :D

But indeed be careful, those who hate tweaking or already tweaked profiles stay away!

Just so I learn something new, are there any downside to using heavily tweaked rigs?

• Check out A/M Audio, their freebies are great, I think theres some Marshall and EVH. My favorite thing is the cab they use on most of their profiles is my favorite cab, I save that cab and use it on almost all my Mbritt, Tone Junkie, Top Jimi etc profiles and it brings them to life, I dont how they mikes it buts awesome!! Makes the thin or dark profiles sound big and meaty.

• Just so I learn something new, are there any downside to using heavily tweaked rigs?

Not really. A certain popular Morgan profile is also tweaked.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM