Neural Quad Cortex

• This is the 1st legit reason I have read that makes common sense in canceling the QC because of the cloud. I hope someday you will have better access in your studio DigitalTube! :)

To be honest I don't miss internet there! It was my decision to choose that remote place to work :). It's peaceful! And I'm walking distance to a nice beach... :). Most likely staying here till things get better with Covid and go back to living in USA.

• You'd be able to save and load captures you create using the device without the internet. You just can't save them to your computer without being connected. Eventually, when the editor is released, you'll be able to make full backups without the internet, as well. The thing you can't do without the internet is download new presets and captures. You also can't share presets/captures with others, and that's apparently not going to change, even when the editor is released.

Ya, I decided it will be better to wait and see what they make available with the Editor..Not in huge rush anyways as it will for live use only and doesn't look like touring will be possible in the near future, by then there might be other choices, Fractal? Kemper? who knows.. :)

• It is also funny to see that no other forum from fractal over line6 to the super open and social media friendly neural.. have "other gear" place in their blogs?

Neither does Kemper now it seems, we can only see the other gear forum because we're Registered Kemper users. No one else can see this thread now. It's just us

I just unticked "watch thread", I'll see if that's stops the notifications

• Imagine you run a studio and you get hired by a pro act to record a new album. You sign an NDA for this job to happen. The guys want custom profiles/captures so they can use them on stage. Great, I profile their sounds and hand them a pendrive with the profiles. Done.

Now they ask me for QC captures and the only way to make them available is through the cloud. Breach of NDA, I can't guarantee that nobody will ever get access to them. At least it's not in my immediate control and responsibility.

Rule #1: NEVER EVER use cloud services to distribute protected, non-public, confidential materials! Just don't do it!

Absolutely 100% correct. If it is something that is in any way sensitive, never use cloud as storage. I would think this would be common sense by now, but I guess not.

• Imagine you run a studio and you get hired by a pro act to record a new album. You sign an NDA for this job to happen. The guys want custom profiles/captures so they can use them on stage. Great, I profile their sounds and hand them a pendrive with the profiles. Done.

Now they ask me for QC captures and the only way to make them available is through the cloud. Breach of NDA, I can't guarantee that nobody will ever get access to them. At least it's not in my immediate control and responsibility.

Rule #1: NEVER EVER use cloud services to distribute protected, non-public, confidential materials! Just don't do it!

When I was working as a programmer at a major telco back in the 90s, my manager told me about walking into the IT guys' office during lunch one day. They were all gathered around a server reading people's emails just for fun, because they were admins and had the credentials to access them.

"The Cloud" sounds like this magical, ethereal place where data gets stored. Non-techies never seem to realize that "the cloud" just means storing your data on a hard drive in someone else's computer, on their property.

While that does have its moments in terms of convenience, it still makes me twitch.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Rig Exchange is another "form of the cloud", where profiles from all over are gathered to be picked and downloaded.

No one has been eaten by the Rig Exchange Monster yet ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• FYI,

Per Doug over @ TGP- "We are actually working on the desktop editor already, and will push the gas on its development after the product is released as a lot of our development team will be focused on supporting the ecosystem with new tools and features."

The editor will allow you to backup the content without the cloud, onto your computer. No, not individual files yet, but there is another option they are working on sooner than expected.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

• Rig Exchange is another "form of the cloud", where profiles from all over are gathered to be picked and downloaded.

No one has been eaten by the Rig Exchange Monster yet ;)

Not really the point is it? You don’t have a choice with Neural. That seems to be a lot of people’s problem with it, no choice.

• No one has been eaten by the Rig Exchange Monster yet ;)

Admittedly it's not as big and scary as the Cocked Ness Monster, but I'm wearing a life jacket just in case. :)

That seems to be a lot of people’s problem with it, no choice.

From what I see in the tech world, no choice is becoming the defacto standard. Windows 10 updates my box whether I want it or not. Subscription services can hold your projects hostage unless you pay for life (looking at you, Adobe). And if you don't like it, tough, because that's the new version of "the way it is."

It's not my intent to be negative, rather to point out that as time goes on, those who do give you a choice will have a competitive advantage over those who don't, because there will always be those who care about such things.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• So is buying a Quad Cortex :*

I’ll probably get one because I can and I’m curious. I also have a Kemper and a Helix. I’ve seen your posts on both sites. And while things started off fairly cordial and full of genuine dialogue, things have slowly devolved to proving how clever we can be with our responses. For example? You’re winking and blowing kisses like you’re Doc Holiday in Tombstone. It’s gonna be a fine unit. Good for some folks and not for others. Whether you feel their reason for concern is valid or not is immaterial. It’s valid to them. You don’t have to be the huckleberry to every nay sayer.
    Seacrest Out?
    https://www.inc.com/minda-zetl…n-more-than-you-talk.html

• From what I see in the tech world, no choice is becoming the defacto standard. Windows 10 updates my box whether I want it or not. Subscription services can hold your projects hostage unless you pay for life (looking at you, Adobe). And if you don't like it, tough, because that's the new version of "the way it is."

Adobe doesn't hold your projects hostage. You might not be able to use a particular Adobe product if you default on your subscription, but there's no cloud requirement to share and save projects.

• What's to stop someone from making a full backup of commercial captures and passing it around/selling it?

A backup is probably linked to your personal account.

That raises all sorts of questions. Can you load the same backup file to multiple QCs? Do they need to have the same account logged in or do different accounts work? If the backup is linked to an account, how many QCs can one account be linked to? Can you change a QC's linked account at will, or does that trip some security feature? If I need to log in to a correct account on a QC in order to do an offline backup restore, what's the point of an offline backup anyway?

• So who else here is getting a Quad Cortex when released? :)

I’ll probably get one because I can and I’m curious.

Nicky and Me and.... ???