Neural Quad Cortex

• Of course people should want to hear examples and such before jumping to conclusions, but I think some people here are getting ahead of themselves. The purpose of the announcement isn't to do a 2 hour long video of all the features, examples, and how to use them. The purpose is to give a synopsis of a new product ahead of NAMM to build anticipation. As time progresses, more videos and examples will be made that we can use to determine how good or bad it is, or if it meets the hype. To expect the teaser will answer each and every question in depth is unreasonable.

• That all being said, basically this new unit is what I myself and others have been requesting for years for a Kemper 2 version in this forum. I hate to say it again but... sorry I've BEEN saying it again and again: Someone else WILL do it if you don't hurry to do it. These are the fast times we live in and the guitar players wishes are simple: they want EVERYTHING in an indistinguishable real world quality with every option and every effect existing in different low weight and affordable unit formats.

None of us here are certain of the Kemper business model. As you say, these are fast times we live in; gone are the days where you could build a company with certainty and an ever growing product range and they may have never intended to try to stay ahead of the competition. Maybe their business model was to sell the Kemper for a decade and provide hardware support for a further decade and move on to something unrelated to guitar amps. Maybe there will never be another Kemper amp.

I'm genuinely interested to see what Quad Cortex will be like but I am not impressed with the marketing literature so far as it seems rather full of scientific buzzwords designed to excite.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The bonanza

• Please forgive my ignorance, but why are so many of you guys pre-ordering without even having heard the unit?

Is it a case of "if it's close-enough I'll be happy because of the form factor" or the ergonomics or whatever, or a fear that stock might be limited for a long time... or both?

I've never been comfortable about ordering something I haven't heard. Matter of fact, I've never done this. :/

Given the company history and the reputation of the plugins they've released, I think most people feel it's a safe bet that the hardware will sound at least as good, or perhaps better since they have impedance switching on the inputs (similar to how many ppl say the hardware Helix sounds better than Helix Native).

• Given the company history and the reputation of the plugins they've released, I think most people feel it's a safe bet that the hardware will sound at least as good, or perhaps better since they have impedance switching on the inputs (similar to how many ppl say the hardware Helix sounds better than Helix Native).

Thank you, Ben. ;)

• They did. They just can't sell it to the people(KPA patent).

And that's partly the reason - I don't like patents. They stop competition and progress.

It doesn't seem to work like the Kemper though, based on the audio clips I've heard. This seemed like a positive review, but I listened to the tones and it does not seem anywhere close to the tones I could get from the Kemper

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Seems to have died without a whimper as well. I haven't seen a lot of rave reviews, despite their "profiling technology".

Of course people should want to hear examples and such before jumping to conclusions, but I think some people here are getting ahead of themselves. The purpose of the announcement isn't to do a 2 hour long video of all the features, examples, and how to use them. The purpose is to give a synopsis of a new product ahead of NAMM to build anticipation. As time progresses, more videos and examples will be made that we can use to determine how good or bad it is, or if it meets the hype. To expect the teaser will answer each and every question in depth is unreasonable.

I'd have to say, "Right back at you."

I'm very keen to see what this device can do, but to hear claims that it is a Kemper killer, etc, is a bit too much, don't you think? Especially without a single audio clip.

Yes, very cool device on paper! Let's stick to the facts though.

Seriously, just seems like saying profiling technology or tone capture or whatever is a good way to sell guitar gear now. Fractal has done it, Overloud and now Neural. It's an emerging pattern.

• Seriously, just seems like saying profiling technology or tone capture or whatever is a good way to sell guitar gear now. Fractal has done it, Overloud and now Neural. It's an emerging pattern.

Fractal has a form of EQ matching, which was released a long, long time ago. That is great, but not "profiling" per se, which certainly includes more than eq-matching tech.

The bonanza

• I'd have to say, "Right back at you."

I'm very keen to see what this device can do, but to hear claims that it is a Kemper killer, etc, is a bit too much, don't you think? Especially without a single audio clip.

I never suggested it was. All I've suggested is my interest in seeing how well the claims stack up to the results.

• What I hope is that after Kemper has allowed Fractal to blow wads of cash on a machine that still can't change sample rates, a competitor has come into the arena to push Kemper into releasing a machine that slays the universe.

Yes, a Kemper II.. Finally! I know they're sitting on something. They just have to be.

The Neural DSP Quad Cortex takes care of A LOT of my (and probably most others too unless they are minimalists) wishes for the Kemper II. Including, but not limited to, multiple amp "captures", campures of pedals, and wireless connectivity.

On top of all that, I'd appreciate:

Better conversion please.

External clocking.

Ability to use the Kemper as a plug-in (to avoid pesky digital connections), even if you have to have the hardware act as a dongle. The dongle is better than no plug-in... Or have a separate dongle scheme.

I'm wondering if Neural DSP will even figure a way out to import Kemper rigs... I'm not familiar with the tech, but it could spell more urgency if they do it... Especially if the conversion is superior, because then it might make Kemper profile sound even better, but on a non Kemper device.

Anyhow, I'm hoping for something big.

I've loved my Kemper since a week after I got it (it took me that long.. But it took me two years to master the AxeFxII, and I'm still not satisfied with it! lol).

• Better conversion please.

If you're talking about the D/A, A/D or both conversions, CN7, FWIMBW I can't for the life of me fault it. If it were to be "improved", I'll wager that nobody will be able to discern any difference.

Ability to use the Kemper as a plug-in (to avoid pesky digital connections), even if you have to have the hardware act as a dongle. The dongle is better than no plug-in... Or have a separate dongle scheme.

This has been discussed many times here, as you're probably aware, and the consensus seems to be that Kemper would be well-advised to persist with hardware implementation only in order to protect its IP. Helix Native has been cracked and POD Farm fell to the pirates not long after it was released even 'though it employed POD xt or POD X3 units as dongles.

Unfortunately the Kemper's acting as a dongle won't stop those bastards; they'd see it as a challenge and would find a way, as they always seem to do. :pinch:

I'm wondering if Neural DSP will even figure a way out to import Kemper rigs... I'm not familiar with the tech, but it could spell more urgency if they do it... Especially if the conversion is superior, because then it might make Kemper profile sound even better, but on a non Kemper device.

The Overloud plugin, which claims to use Kemper Profiles, isn't restricted to any given sample rate, and those who've compared matching Rigs on both systems claim there's no difference.

This points to what I said earlier - that Kemper's conversion is, for all intents and purposes, stellar.

• On top of all that, I'd appreciate:

Better conversion please.

External clocking.

1) I think the Kemper conversion is quite good. What do you find wrong with it?

2) The Stage allows external clocking, if that's important to you. There's also the option to get an audio interface that allows you to do this with the regular toaster or rack (the Universal Audio Apollo stuff does)

3) I'd be really happy to get a VST that would allow me to recall settings in my DAW. That would be killer. As far as a full-fledged VST though, I hope they never do it. If for no other reason than the fact that it would bring down the value of my hardware Kemper.

• I never suggested it was. All I've suggested is my interest in seeing how well the claims stack up to the results.

I'd be happy if it does. You can even plug two instruments (four?) into the QC. It is also supposed to have vocal effects. The construction looks light years ahead of anything else on the market as well.

I just found some of the earlier posts on this thread a little too fanboyish (when there's nothing to be a fanboy about, yet), so I thought I'd play a negative nancy.

Seriously, it looks (sounds) like the best modeller ever. And that's a good reason to be sceptical at the moment. I love the fact that the deposit is refundable, keep wondering if I should just reserve a slot in the second batch of production.

• I just found some of the earlier posts on this thread a little too fanboyish (when there's nothing to be a fanboy about, yet), so I thought I'd play a negative nancy.

Which is fair, and you know that type of stuff bother me as well. The people, at least here, showing the most enthusiasm are basing it on their liking of Neural and Darkglass offerings, so they assume this is going to be right down their alley. Company's know how quintessential a reputation is, which is how you have cohorts of people on this forum that will buy any Kemper offering on the grounds that it's Kemper.

Seriously, it looks (sounds) like the best modeller ever. And that's a good reason to be sceptical at the moment.

Of course, all marketing should come with healthy skepticism. I only roll my eyes when it's overt cynicism or irrational idealism.

• I watched the video. I'm still not sold, I'll have to wait to hear some sounds

In the meantime you and everybody else can download the demo versions of their Archetype plugins and try it for yourself. They should sound very similar to what you can expect from the QC. I have tried all 3, and was not impressed at all. They have some nice effects, but the amp modelling was kinda meh.

• 1) I think the Kemper conversion is quite good. What do you find wrong with it?

2) The Stage allows external clocking, if that's important to you. There's also the option to get an audio interface that allows you to do this with the regular toaster or rack (the Universal Audio Apollo stuff does)

3) I'd be really happy to get a VST that would allow me to recall settings in my DAW. That would be killer. As far as a full-fledged VST though, I hope they never do it. If for no other reason than the fact that it would bring down the value of my hardware Kemper.

Has Helix Native devalued the Helix hardware?

• You gotta give it to Neural DSP though... The marketing campaign works wonders. The pre-orders are coming in massively with the first 1000-unit batch being sold out. A lot of Kemper owners, including forum users, pre-ordered. And look at how much we're talking about it!

Imho, this shows that a lot of guitarists are feature hunters. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad sense. I think that our needs are evolving and so do our expectations.

Featurewise, the quad cortex definitely is a 2020 machine. The screen (touchsensitivity, size, resolution), the editing possibilities (with the integrated wifi, desktop and smartphone editors) are ahead of the competition (especially the Kemper). The Kemper editor is nice, but could be better (Having a dozen of knobs for a graphic EQ is just weird). And the screen on the profilers and remotes are just terrible.

The Kemper looks like an early 90's machine. But boy, does it sound good...

I'd also mention the integrated audio interface, but the Kemper is pretty much the only device not having an integrated interface. Having to buy an audio interface was really painful for me at the time. However, I'm so happy with my interface now and I use it for plenty of other stuff. Also, it gives me flexibility for the future. I'm currently tempted to go Tube Amp with integrated Load + IR (like Suhr PT15, or Hook Wizard). I played with more tube amps recently and I really liked the experience ;) Having the interface would allow me to sell the Kemper without having to buy an interface...

Regarding the cortex, I'm not buying something that I didn't listen to. Because that's the most important factor when spending 1.6k on a piece of equipment, isn't it?

On a more personal note, the workflow does seem to be more on the tweakier side. I'd probably tweak for hours to get "THE" sound I have in my head (or an even better one). Currently, I just want more simplicity and I'm not excluding going back entirely to tube amps (with the IR thing).

Let's see what time brings... Maybe the reviews are going to be amazing and I'll get one. One thing is for sure: it's exciting times for guitarists. Lots of new products and certainly more than enough tools to sound freaking amazing !!!

• None of us here are certain of the Kemper business model. As you say, these are fast times we live in; gone are the days where you could build a company with certainty and an ever growing product range and they may have never intended to try to stay ahead of the competition. Maybe their business model was to sell the Kemper for a decade and provide hardware support for a further decade

I'm afraid this makes no sense. There is no company (or side company with a side product like in the early days of Kemper) in the world that preplans its death from its beginning or that can preplan a theoretical new future product for after 20 years without knowing what future markets will demand after decades. Kemper company simply does not have the capacities to speed up new tech and products in a way Yamaha (Helix) does or other huge companies do. As hypothetical evidence I want to mention the time it took to develop the editor, the delay of the Kemper cone and the stage and, yes, the design of the stage which itself was already outdated when it was released in our "fast times".

The huge plus of Kemper still is its mere superior and 3d amp sound which still is absolutely the best on the digital market imo. That's why I am one of Kemper's best customers. If sound is "enough" (like for me at the moment), there will never be a need for something else. Maybe. What is "need" anyway, other than the best possible digital sound achieved conveniently.

But if you were a new customer and had to decide if you wanted the perfect sound of a Kemper or a perfect sound like the Kemper plus every other option in the world, no matter if you have a real feel of "need" right now....

I say it again: a better Kemper in a better Helix housing is the way to go. And if CK won't do it - well we all see the developments. Patents run out after 10 years. That would be next year for "copying and reproducing the exact tube amp's momentary sound setting" (=profiling). I hereby again foretell just for fun that we will see "profiling" of some sort in every modeller company from fractal to Line6 - each under its own name. Quad Cortex are only the first that announce it which shows the way. Independent of whether they will achieve this high goal or claims. Maybe their profiling will be rubbish in a first attempt but this is the future as long as guitarists want tube amp sound and as long as modelling can't achieve that last 1 % of live realism that most guitarists desire.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 25 times, last by Alienator ().

• Will it have an acoustic SIM?Synth?

:)

I want new sounds.Since the Axefx3 I am waiting for something that will rock my world..

I am so fed up with all these new "moarrrr-machines"!!More amps,more fx,more I/Os.Faster and better.Routings..Editors..all this for using sounds we know since decades.

So little fantasy out there..