Neural Quad Cortex

• I preordered because I am curious on the multi rig option. Saying this, I haven't heard any good representation of the tones with any of the released vids out there. So I am hoping it sounds better when they release it.

Everything boils down to whether it can profile or not. I don't think the world needs more high priced modellers and certainly not crappy ones (like the new Pod Go, what a waste of... everything!) but high end units with the best of both worlds. If the QC can profile the way a Kemper can - and only then - there are chances that Kemper will lose many (all?) new customers. I hope next year Christoph will talk about his vision about the features of a Kemper 2. That's it, only this. At least this would be enough for me to wait for one or two more years after this before I even think of ever buying a QC, even if it CAN profile like a Kemper. I expect Christoph will say something about this next winter Namm, the latest. If not.. I don't know. "Silence is a love killer" will be the title of my new song about Kemper after that, I think.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 7 times, last by Alienator ().

• If it could profile as good as or better than the Kemper, they wouldn't need to fill it full of models of amps.

There are millions of players who prefer modellers over a Kemper. If they could have both features, I bet they would take them both in the same unit. Having more and more options has become a big marketing instrument - no matter how stupid as an argument this is and if a lifetime is enough to explore them all or if there is a need of them all in one unit at the first place.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Why would you need to use an approximate model of an amp if you could simply profile the real thing? If it's better than the Kemperprofiling process as they claim then these amp models are a tad redundant. Makes no sense...

• Why would you need to use an approximate model of an amp if you could simply profile the real thing?

For a variety of reasons if you ask users of an Axe FX, for example. First because they sound almost the same like a real amp (at least near to indistinguishable), second because it is easier, they would say, to load an amp and tweak and eq the amp itself to liking like a real amp instead of searching for single and rigid profiles. Then the much superior drives, gain stacking and FX? The superior UI? Not my words, I prefer my Kempers but these are only a few reasons among a ton more, I guess. Then there is another reason: "good tone" does not have to mean for everybody "exactly like a tube amp". Good tone is good tone. If it sounds good, it IS good. Good can also be solid state (JC100) or flute-like or whatever. Taste is also a big point. I know a lot of modern guitarists who don't always compare their "amp sound" to a real amp like I do, for example. And that's totally legitimate. Who says that you MUST sound like you play through a tube amp? Well, ok, I do, in my understanding and in my own taste but that's not a rule but coincidence. That's because tubes were around first and not dsps. If guitar rock history would have been written with digital means nobody would ever like tube sound but you would seek to recreate that digital sound, I bet.

Edited 11 times, last by Alienator ().

• Everything boils down to whether it can profile or not.

I already have a profiler which I am very happy with. Profiling wasn't my motivation to get this. My Kemper is my live rig but like other amps, modelers and such, the QC will be another tool in the shed. Like I stated, I am interested in the multi amp setups since the Kemper doesn't do that at the moment. Could it replace my live rig? I highly doubt it but one thing is for sure, I could profile the QC with a multi amp setup and incorporate it into my Kemper.

• I'm not going to think about getting one until I've heard it and the reviews are positive. That said, I did just plunk $230 on their Archetype Plini and Nolly plugins, and they sound absolutely amazing. I've got to figure out if I can accurately profile these things.

• I did with the Nolly plugin. It was near but not exactly spot on. Kemper's bass were generally cleaner or less compressed. Good results to my ears though.

"You can PROFILE solid-state amps, as well as software modeling amps, although the results from PROFILING modeled amps can sometimes be underwhelming. The reason for this is that some emulations use techniques that don’t necessarily match the analog reality." - from the manual

• For a variety of reasons if you ask users of an Axe FX, for example. First because they sound almost the same like a real amp (at least near to indistinguishable)

They sound as AXE-FX designer has decided, that particular amp sounds. It changed through different firmwares.

Only Kemper sounds like miked amp. With Kabinet it will come even closer to the amp with amp in the room thing.

• They sound as AXE-FX designer has decided, that particular amp sounds. It changed through different firmwares.

Does not every single amp in world sound like the engineer decided for it to sound? Name one that sounds like "itself" ;).

More: find two exact same amps of the same brand that sound and feel exactly the same. Good luck.

Edited 2 times, last by Alienator ().

• Does not every single amp in world sound like the engineer decided for it to sound? Name one that sounds like "itself" ;).

More: find two exact same amps of the same brand that sound and feel exactly the same. Good luck.

I think the cab has a more pronounced effect on the final tone than the amp. Each time you mic it, the sound varies a lot.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Does not every single amp in world sound like the engineer decided for it to sound? Name one that sounds like "itself" ;).

But AXE-FX designer says: "our toy can sound like Marshall JCM800". And they try for write software for their CPU's to sound like this Marshall JCM800. Remember that, when firmware changes this new updated Marshall, which was supposed to sound like this Marshall, now sounds different ;)

• But AXE-FX designer says: "our toy can sound like Marshall JCM800". And they try for write software for their CPU's to sound like this Marshall JCM800. Remember that, when firmware changes this new updated Marshall, which was supposed to sound like this Marshall, now sounds different ;)

Yes. As I said: take two JCM800s and they will sound slightly different. Which of them is the "correct" sound of a JCM800? Maybe it's the same with fractal: each day Mr. Fractal wakes up, he maybe picks a different JCM800 from his arsenal of 20 JCM800s to be the right one. Show me two Kemper profiles of two different JCM800s, profiled exactly the same way from the same person, that sound and feel the same.

• "You can PROFILE solid-state amps, as well as software modeling amps, although the results from PROFILING modeled amps can sometimes be underwhelming. The reason for this is that some emulations use techniques that don’t necessarily match the analog reality." - from the manual

I believe that this is exactly the weak point of the KPA algorithm, which results from the method used, and not as it was defined - not the analog nature of the source. After all, the noise gate (analog & buitlt in like in Triple XXX), non linear and parallel overdrives also gives bad profiling results. If Quad Cortex overcomes this barrier with the help of machine learning, it will be a huge step forward. But this is big "If" . We have to wait to hear the results.

• Yes. As I said: take two JCM800s and they will sound slightly different. Which of them is the "correct" sound of a JCM800? Maybe it's the same with fractal: each day Mr. Fractal wakes up, he maybe picks a different JCM800 from his arsenal of 20 JCM800s to be the right one. Show me two Kemper profiles of two different JCM800s, profiled exactly the same way from the same person, that sound and feel the same.

But one JCM800 amp will sound the same. JCM800 by Axe-Fx sounds different to the same JCM800 by Axe-Fx with different software.

• I think the cab has a more pronounced effect on the final tone than the amp. Each time you mic it, the sound varies a lot.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.