Neural Quad Cortex

• I was hoping to have it by now but I'm sure the peeps who were expecting it in September and preordered in February are even more ants in the pants like. I've passed on an FM3 and an Axe III waiting for this and I'm getting a bit bored with the idea all over it again.

Of course my intentions aren't all guitar related either and now I've got my sights on the Mod Duo X and the Poly Beebo/Digit.

I'm going to do a pickup swap today to pass the time. :S

• The best thing going for it is the size to power ratio. I love the Stomp for portability, but I am always a little short of processing. Kemper sounds great, but I'd love it to have a small version with all the same ins and outs.

Its funny isn't it because on one hand the small the better for portability, but I also like the amp and foot pedal format so I can drive a guitar cab.

Also the problem with the Kemper in producing a more cut down version is its main selling point is its ability to profile.. So a cut down version would presumably not be able to profile and just use profiles? Kemper would then need to align the software as they did with the stage.

It does look like a cool unit, beyond the flashy screen and multi-function dials, the integration with sharing sounds and simple user interface etc.

• this Friedman with the greenbacks demo leaves me completely unimpressed...hmm..

Let's wait for more demos.

I thought it sounded pretty good ( not sure why but I thought it had an edge over a Helix - no science related to that though!) but I guess you can't really tell until you play one.

Interestingly after listening to it I plugged in my KPA and I feel I've made real progress with my sounds so I'm still very much in love with my KPA :)

• I don't see what 'bomb' they could - or even need - to drop. CK has said more than once that their profiling tech is about as advanced and as optimized as they can make it.

"Not seeing" means not needing it or not having noticed a hidden need. The Ford T model was a finished thing, it was the best car technology of its time and even today it would get you from A to B, perfectly - if transport from A to B as that T model was able to do is the only thing you expect from a car. Guitar related forums of this planet are full of things guitarists (I understand that you are not one of them) "expect" from THE perfect all n one multi fx and amp modelling floor unit in the year 2021. Maybe you just have not noticed other guitarists wishes and requests that should be implemented into a Kemper II. And yes, I undestand that "transport" and "guitar rigs, fx and work flows are" as if comparing the North Pole to a chair but I think youv get the point. CK said, that he cannot make THIS generation better. Like you cannot make the T model better.

That being said, yes, the amp tone of a Kemper itself is until now the best. And yes, the unit has proven to be a rabbit hole regarding tone, it has been getting better. But we are talking not only about tone.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 2 times, last by Alienator ().

• For what little it may be worth, I've been holding out on saying this 'cause I wanted to hear more clips to either confirm or negate an initial judgement I made upon first listen.

Turns out that my first impression has held true thus far - there's something about the high end that I don't like. It sounds brittle / plasticky / harsh to me.

Kemper's top end OTOH is realistic to my ears - smooth-as-silk through to harsh depending entirely on the Profiling source, as it should be.

• "Not seeing" means not needing it or not having noticed a hidden need. The Ford T model was a finished thing, it was the best car technology of its time and even today it would get you from A to B, perfectly - if transport from A to B as that T model was able to do is the only thing you expect from a car. Guitar related forums of this planet are full of things guitarists (I understand that you are not one of them) "expect" from THE perfect all n one multi fx and amp modelling floor unit in the year 2021. Maybe you just have not noticed other guitarists wishes and requests that should be implemented into a Kemper II. And yes, I undestand that "transport" and "guitar rigs, fx and work flows are" as if comparing the North Pole to a chair but I think youv get the point. CK said, that he cannot make THIS generation better. Like you cannot make the T model better.

That being said, yes, the amp tone of a Kemper itself is until now the best. And yes, the unit has proven to be a rabbit hole regarding tone, it has been getting better. But we are talking not only about tone.

I think the point here is your comment suggests there should be a step improvement ( hence bomb). I personally don't see that. defo things to imp[rove but for me its the law of diminishing returns...the important stuff has been done...

The KPA can profile to a pretty accurate level...interestingly the KPA is limited ( in some respects) to the base amp...a modeller isn't and can actually imrpove on the valve sound its based on ;)

• I thought it sounded pretty good ( not sure why but I thought it had an edge over a Helix - no science related to that though!) but I guess you can't really tell until you play one.

I have a few friedman profiles which sound glorious loud over the dxr10 and on recordings.This demo does not come close.

But again this is only what I hear in this demo which I heard over my tannoys..

Indeed only if we have the opportunity to play the qc we will get a clear picture.

Interestingly after listening to it I plugged in my KPA and I feel I've made real progress with my sounds so I'm still very much in love with my KPA :)

I always thought that the KPA will "educate" all of us in a lot of issues.Today I am quite sure about this.We can not overstate the importance to have a tool which allows us to "grow with it".It is the same for me too.

Big words about a digital tool but for sure thus was not the same before with just the ampintheroom thing or the other modelers.In my mind this is the truth.

So..let's wait until we get our hands in a qc ..;)

The better is the enemy of good.

• I too am not impressed to the sound demos so far, I think it sounds like helix, but I cant judge until I hear in person. So far everything is smoke and lights.

The answer is 42

• Its funny isn't it because on one hand the small the better for portability, but I also like the amp and foot pedal format so I can drive a guitar cab.

Also the problem with the Kemper in producing a more cut down version is its main selling point is its ability to profile.. So a cut down version would presumably not be able to profile and just use profiles? Kemper would then need to align the software as they did with the stage.

It does look like a cool unit, beyond the flashy screen and multi-function dials, the integration with sharing sounds and simple user interface etc.

I get what you mean and still like my Kemper Rack for gigs with a bus, but there are times when it is a lump to carry around.

I don't see any version having profiling cut, as this would increase cost and reliability with software variants. For anything small, it would have to be accepted that editing would be on another Kemper, or the editor.

The QC is interesting primarily because it is new. Would always wait a few months and listen to see if it can offer anything new in sound though.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I get what you mean and still like my Kemper Rack for gigs with a bus, but there are times when it is a lump to carry around.

The form factor of this new product is perfect.

But I stand with my whining & complaining about a)this big unprotected touchscreen and b) the price.

And before I will recieve again the "you are over exaggerating "..well..just a few days ago I read on the kemper user group facebook side about stages stopped working because of spilled beer(wow..still happening in 2020)..and there were also pictures from another guy with his completely devastated display of his stage.

So it is not only me ..

• Imagine that! There are still drunks that spill drinks in 2020 ;).

One of the features I like best on my KPA rack is that I need only a single cable to the foot controller in my stage area. Any integrated foot controller is going to need:

1) Power

2) Guitar

3) output to cab or PA (one or two)

Yea, even with my rack I need to run a cable to my guitar, but it doesn't route to right below my feet!

It is funny how as I have gotten older, ergonomic issues have become so much more important to me ;)

• I guess you are talking about pub gigs and any electrical device getting covered in beer is likely to fail. Touch screen or not, it won't make a difference.

If I needed to switch patches on one of these with my feet, I would dig out my old Roland FC-50 midi changer.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Yeah thats the dilemma.

We still need to connect our guitar, power is a pain but usually more available at the back of the stage than the front and driving a monitor. Of course there are many options solutions around this and its mainly preference. My driver isn't concern over spilled beer BUT its definately a risk factor.

• First of all I'm really impressed by the Quad Cortex and I think if the capture feature is as good as the Kemper this thing will sell very well.

But what I don't understand are the compromises they've made with the design and size.

• You are not whining and complaining, its a valid risk.

• Imagine that! There are still drunks that spill drinks in 2020 ;).

Well..as we have learned in thus thread these kids are "maniacs"..;)

As if having fun,drinking and mating like crazy (more so if you are 20 years old)is a thing of "strange people out there some where" in the uncivilized world..:/

• You are not whining and complaining, its a valid risk.

I know it is valid because I ruined a ton of floorboard stuff.And for that reason I did not get me the stage but still waiting for a cheap,robust and reliable floor solution.

Until then it is still my toaster (save up there between the pubs expensive whiskey collection and the espresso machine) and the remote..if I ever again need to play these kind of gigs..

• I know it is valid because I ruined a ton of floorboard stuff.And for that reason I did not get me the stage but still waiting for a cheap,robust and reliable floor solution.

Until then it is still my toaster (save up there between the pubs expensive whiskey collection and the espresso machine) and the remote..if I ever again need to play these kind of gigs..

Problem is, cheap is rarely good and robust :)

So whilst its not my main reason for sticking with my rack, defo a factor and totally agree!