Neural Quad Cortex

• I don't need fancy UI on the unit (still can't understand why anyone would, but that's personal preference) and wifi functionality is kind of ridiculous.

It's funny but those capabilities are among the top reasons I have a QC on order.

I find the Kemper UI to be outdated and frustrating. Even with the desktop editor - which, while being a big help while recording also has its share of very frustrating issues.

If Kemper were to release a floor unit with many of the same UI features as the QC, I would trade in my powered KPA rack and purchase one right away.

Personal preference for sure I guess.

• @kroma6020 please contact the Kemper support team about a solution for your dead LED issue.

:thumbup:

This unexpected reaction alone was worth following this thread.

I have made similar huge experiences with Kemper support (more than once), so... I don't know but personally, right now I am impressed.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Agree. I had to send my kemper to Germany during last summer . From support ticket to kemper back to me, the support is top notch. :thumbup:

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Dear Christoph, I am currently not profiling amplifiers and I don't have any specific in mind. Thank you very much for your help offer. What I meant is propably what you describe -power amp + preamp distortion.

As I was using profiles mostly created by Gregory, We have talked about the disadvantages of KPA many times, such as the inability to profile several levels of clipping like a preamp + poweramp. The last example of an amplifier I remember is the Victory Kraken. In settings with a higher Master Volume, the profiles did not come out too well and did not reflect the characteristic Grit of the overdrive of the output tubes.

Such a sound is useful at times. I also tried several times with plugins. I already know that this is a KPA limitation and it does not necessarily bother me anymore.

I learned to use therectifier FX and new overdrives which allows me to change the character of clipping.

Thanks a lot for these new effects.Perhaps Rabea used this knowledge it in his video in favor of QC. Anyway, all I wanted to say is that if QC can profile such multi-stage distortion, it is a plus for QC. It doesn't change anything for me as a KPA user. My KPA still sound great and nothing ont to steal it from me ;)

I don't feel bad about it, nor am I going to be too emotional about it, like some of the users here ;).

• Good luck Neural to give support of kemper´s caliber once the screen or "stomp knobs" of your customers break. I had also an amazing customer support experience, my screen had some dead pixels, so I decided it was time to change the lcd.

The answer is 42

Edited once, last by Alfahdj ().

• I have serious doubts about whether the QC's Captures are actually of a "deep neural network" kind. I rather think it's doing something much closer to the Kemper. From your writing here, it seems to suggest you think the same.

Neural DSP's 2020 research paper (https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/10/3/766/htm) shows that their WaveNet3 model barely runs real-time on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 PC. And even their sucky 75% confidence WaveNet1 model takes 2 * real-time processing to run. Using neural network processing to model amps is really processor intensive, they devote a whole section of the paper to talk about just that.

Yet the QC somehow runs "neural" Captures more efficiently than amp models, and can run 8 Captures simultaneously...?! This makes no sense.

An additional example to further the quandary... A high speed PC can run multiple instances of Neural DSP's amp model plugins on a single CPU core. And presumably the QC's amp models are of the same quality as Neural's amp plugins... so how's the QC running "neural" Captures so damn efficiently if it's so processor intensive that it barely runs on a high speed PC?? None of this adds up.

• I find it easy to identify in these two comparison videos:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In particular, the fast tremolo-picked single note in the beginning of the clips reveals it quite well to my ears.

• Good luck Neural to give support of kemper´s caliber once the screen or "stomp knobs" of your customers break. I had also an amazing customer support experience, my screen had some dead pixels, so I decided it was time to change the lcd.

As I said WAY earlier in this thread, I would be very concerned about those stomp knobs. Doesn't seem like a great physical idea at all to me. Time will tell.

• These are all really important and overlooked points!

And it definitely doesn't add up. Is it possible that the Capture technology could be something like Profiling with automatic refinement or something?

• Same here , Victory Kraken profiles are very strange . Profiling the Peavey Ultra Plus is not possible ! Every time you try to profile the Kemper says : noisegate detected - but there is no noisegate and the profile sounds nothing like the actual amp even if you try to refine .

Otherwise my DSL and my Ampeg VL profiles turned out fantastic !

Greetz Marco

• Profiling the Peavey Ultra Plus is not possible ! Every time you try to profile the Kemper says : noisegate detected - but there is no noisegate...

According to the manual, the Crunch and Ultra channels have a noise gate built in. It isn’t the only Peavey amp to have an internal noise gate that can’t be switched off.

• If I get the cocked wah sound I just use the high shift in the cab section and move it to a negative value and a lot of the time it gets rid of it.

I think the quad is going to be an excellent unit and I really like the form factor and apparent ease of use. I'm sure the tones will great too and like most of these things it will improve over time.

Kemper is still a great unit tho very happy with it.

• Serious question, ¿can we even disable the cab part in the QC? if there is anything I am impressed with the kemper, is how spot on is the algorithm for separating profiles. Also, I suppose direct captures are possible, ¿any example yet?

The answer is 42

• Serious question, ¿can we even disable the cab part in the QC? if there is anything I am impressed with the kemper, is how spot on is the algorithm for separating profiles. Also, I suppose direct captures are possible, ¿any example yet?

I assume you make a capture of the amp without the speaker and then match it in the chain with a IR...

• I assume you make a capture of the amp without the speaker and then match it in the chain with a IR...

Exactly...the amp or capture is separate from the IR (cab). The QC can't try to "remove" the cab from a capture like Kemper so you would do a amp only capture with a loadbox or similar device, then add an IR in the QC.

• I assume you make a capture of the amp without the speaker and then match it in the chain with a IR...

Yeah, thats why I am asking for an example, it would be pretty insightful to hear it trough the same cab as the real amp, kemper gets really close even with studio profiles, so that is something I would like to hear from the QC

The answer is 42

• The Quad Cortex is cool. Accurate or not, I like several tones that I’ve heard. A tiny, excellent-sounding, easy to navigate device holds great appeal. I could probably put one to good use.

Shrug. I still fail to see the necessity to chase new gear. My ancient powered Kemper is sounding better than ever—I mean it’s delivering truly great mission-critical, inspiring tones. It’s been a reliable, beloved amp that neither my career nor my creativity have outgrown. The recent drive update is great. I’m looking forward to further developments there, as well as the aforementioned master fuzz stomp.

Typical of the internet: legions of “Profiling” and “Snapshot” ‘s most vocal detractors are now all frothing and fevered about “Capture”, a seemingly more primitive implementation of a nearly identical technology. If you couldn’t mic an amp before, your Captures won’t be any better than your Profiles. I’m not saying they haven’t solved certain “issues” that some may have with the KPA. But like anything else, the new device will obviously introduce issues of its own.

Whatever. The QC will be or already is popular (and I’m hoping that it deserves to be). Regarding the Kemper, I always go on and on about how Kemper melds innovation and market domination across decades (while also seeming to have fun doing so). But in comparison, Kemper’s most noble innovation may be that he sidestepped monetizing profiles and instead created an ecosystem where third-party businesses could profit by expanding the Kemper library of tones. Kemper commands a premium for his products, but it never feels as if he’s trying to stick it to his customers both coming and going. Again instead, he and his team continue to offer free tones, and more importantly, further device functionality through complimentary updates.

Here finally—sorry—is why I was inspired to comment: There are already signs that Neural DSP will build paid “in app (device)” development in to their business model. Yuck. After a decade of getting Kemper’s “all” for free, as well as many of the greatest commercial profile packs for $10 and $15, the idea of a company charging a la carte along the way for “their best” or for “added value” feels a bit gross, almost like a betrayal before even selling the thing. Kemper and Line 6 make surviving in the major retail hardware sales universe seem easy, but striking that balance that ultimately engenders customer loyalty is actually a pretty rare thing, especially for big ticket items. Good luck to Neural. Don’t be evil.