Neural Quad Cortex

• What for?

Everyone knows there is a captured little alien changing the tubes inside.

Buy your Kempers and QCs now before those pesky little Aliens realise they are being exploited and start demanding fair pay and workers rights. Hell, they’ll be wanting oaid holiday time next. When that happens prices will skyrocket, mark my words ?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The kemper immediately after it did the profile did not have this "cocked wah"..:/actually it sounded amazing after the refinment.

Another very interesting thing..

The sound at the end..the quad sounded awful.With a ugly mid spike in the attack while the kemper sounded wonderful..nice break up into the harmonics.

But this is just me.

• That's the first time I really noticed so clearly the lower mid bump talked about. It was clear on the Kraken capture section and again in the comparison. Maybe some amps are just not so easy for Kemper?

Personally I have never worried about exact copies of sounds, but the QC excels here. If only it didn't have a semi-pro power supply:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Fair play to Rabea for coming back with such a good response.

I am not in the market for blowing £1700 on a shiny new device when my Kemper does everything I need and more. However, if I was looking for a new digital amp the QC would definitely have to be on the shortlist.

In that particular video I thought the QC actually sounded better ? This was particularly true on the SLO crunch channel. That SLO is an absolute beast of an amp ???

However, it turns out the KPA doesn’t prefer hand wired boutique over PCB amps ?

I am sure the Kemper profile could be refined further with manual tweaks but on a plug and play basis the QC definitely stood its ground this time; and it is still only starting its development journey. I am sure many of the features people are saying it lacks will be added in time.

At the end of the day, they are both fantastic products; as are Helix and AxeFx. The decision which one to buy must come down to personal taste and needs. For me the floorboard design and big touch screen are huge turn offs but for others they are a massive selling point. Neither is wrong. There is room for multiple products.

As we keep saying, it is a great time to be a guitarist ?

• Around the 35.00 timemark..you really liked the QC's sound?

I hear only on the kemper profile these typical soldano response..

Edit

Hmm..hearing it again over my tannoys I find the qc (again around 35.00 minute) annoying.Flat.No hair.No rich mid content.

Yes the Kemper profile is a little bit "overdriven" but I hear nevertheless this nice soldano break up hair and a much wealthier mid content.Dialing back the volume on the 4th position and it's all good..(until Rabea crushed it changing to the bridge humbucker).

But again this is just me.

Edited 3 times, last by Nikos ().

• That's the first time I really noticed so clearly the lower mid bump talked about. It was clear on the Kraken capture section and again in the comparison. Maybe some amps are just not so easy for Kemper?

Personally I have never worried about exact copies of sounds, but the QC excels here. If only it didn't have a semi-pro power supply:-)

Im not sure is about the bump itself (that can be eq'ed) but the time response. IR and FIR time respose can be different than for IIR aproximated filter.

And I belive KPA use IIR becouse of High Shift and Low Shift parameters which i belive modify poles and zeros.

• Quad cortex has always this « sshhhhiiiiiiiii » fizzy harshness added all over the spectrum.

Even if for same aspect it came closer to real amp, it’s not more convincing. Audio pro studios will not like it like they already dislike the neural plugins.

• To be honest........ yes ?

In this particular comparison (albeit with heay Youtube compression etc) the QC sounded significantly closer to the real amp than the Kemper. I pretty much agree with everything Bea said when describing the difference. The real SLO is quite spikey and bright which the QC appeared to nail. Whereas the KPA smoothed out the high end and high mids and added a lot more gain. I am sure the KPA could be tweaked with the definition control etc and also wonder if Bea needs to reduce his Distortion Sense a little to level it up but in this comparison the KPa sounded quite different. Still a great sound but definitely not a match for the real amp.

• To be honest........ yes ?

In this particular comparison (albeit with heay Youtube compression etc) the QC sounded significantly closer to the real amp than the Kemper. I pretty much agree with everything Bea said when describing the difference. The real SLO is quite spikey and bright which the QC appeared to nail. Whereas the KPA smoothed out the high end and high mids and added a lot more gain. I am sure the KPA could be tweaked with the definition control etc and also wonder if Bea needs to reduce his Distortion Sense a little to level it up but in this comparison the KPa sounded quite different. Still a great sound but definitely not a match for the real amp.

Ok.

Actually yes..you are right that the Kemper added gain.But IMO the QC had less.At least this is what I hear.I miss the soldano hair in the mid content.This harmonic thing.

Actually I sent this vid to some friends just because...I have the time to think about such issues during the lock down here..^^

• In Pauld Davids comparisons and here i think both sounds so close to the actual amp where it doesnt matter anymore imo. Both can be adjusted to sound closer to the amp to preference.

You are more choosing between hardware/form factor rather than sound here. QC has more dsp can do stereo rig/multiple instruments, where something like kemper stage is more suited for live usage with all extra buttons/knobs/always on tuner/low light visibility while also being cheaper and having better effects/ability to tweak other people profiles more.

Also say what you want but modeling in QC sounds bad, not surpassing even helix. Captures are the strongest feature there.

• Here comes another opinion. I really liked what I heard in the QC. I cannot say which was better, this means both were very good. Trying to find something "better" in the Kemper and something "worse" in the QC just because I love my Kempers would be trollish - as a guy who always claims that his sound comes out of his fingers.

So next step will be trying it out myself. My feeling tells me that Kemper has finally found a rig capturer at eye level. That being said... I personally don't really see any reason to replace anything. I am just curious. But if I was new to this I would go with the QC for so many reasons. You can find them all in the feature request section. Who knows. Christoph Kemper for me is one of the geniuses of the industry and he also sees everything...

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• A friend if mine agrees with me that the kemper has more gain with this crunch profile while the qc has less than the amp.He liked both I can't agree with this.

For me this is important because I always like to dial gain/compression out of the profile instead to up the gain which makes the profile in my ears sounding more unnatural, digital and fizzy.

Remembering what Pete Thorn said in his review about less gain in the capture..I see this till yet confirmed..

• Maybe someone on this thread can answer this for me;

With commercial profiles, does the person call the profile done after the refinement stage?

Or would they tweak the kemper knobs to dial it in as close as possible?