Neural Quad Cortex

• A few videos put out to promote the new QC showing a QC trying to sound better than competition. Shocking!!

This is why Im going to wait haha. I really dig my kemper stage, but im sure if these top gear demo youtubers were paid by helix to push the product they could easily convince the helix sounds better than kemper. Need to see a much higher volume of material from everyone as opposed to paid pros doing demos. I think these demo makers are genuine chaps, but if theyre being paid by Neural then they have to make it sound better in the demo lol. That's not to say it can't/doesn't sound better, just gotta wait and hear more

• I swear I didn't speak to Rabea about the cocked wah sound and flat(less dynamic ) low end. 11014-blush-gif But both came very close.

Mr. Kemper was always saying that there is no "Kemper signature tone" that is kinda added in profiling and that no one ever could bring proof or examples for the "cocked wah sound", so that he could have a deeper look what is going on. Here it is in Rabeas video.

Or what is the explanation?

• So for me the Neural Quad Cortex is not an option, it has less to do with the sound and perfect image of a tube amp, it may be that there is still room for improvement. But here are my reasons

1st I just like the rack version, it's more to carry, but it's more "roadie proofed" and I consider floarboards to be an ergonomically faulty construction. So far I have not seen anyone who does not place these devices on the table or on a stul to operate, the Neural Quad Cortex refines this concept by putting the foot switches and the rotary knobs together.

2nd A device in which you can neither delete nor change the factory presets does not work for me.

3rd Switching between the presets takes too long and makes drop outs in sound.

4th Some features for customizing the sound are completely missing.

The Kemper or the Fractal have more options.

5th The CPU utilization is already at about 75% with more complex routings, the device has two ARM 5 and 4 DSP cores. Nothing helps if one ARM core is busy with the fancy user interface and the other with the IO and network.

Therefore I give the Neural Quad Cortex a product life of a maximum of about 5 years.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Be the force with you ;)

• He's belonging to group D..?

I should have explained myself better and should not have said 'garbage'. Having said that it is human nature to want to summarize and compartmentalize. Cognitive psychology is full of information proving that it is fundamental in human behavior. It makes the process easier and reduces overhead. Do I need groceries, yes/no? So you go to the store. Do I need milk yes/no. Not all things are that simple. I don't think you can categorize devices this way nor people. The groups that you list make it easy for summary but many people fall into many categories which disproves the system. Many people produce, tour, record and are tech nerds. Think Pete Thorn. These devices fall victim to A/B comparisons but it is an overstatement to say one is completely better than the other in all aspects. For example I have a Helix, Kemper, and FM3. They are all great. Some sounds on the Helix are favorites, some FM3 and some Kemper. People also hear things differently. As an example, to say that one has better effects is all too encompassing. For me the reverbs in the Fractal are stellar but it ends there. The UI is also different for each, as is the workflow. So that was the root of my binary comment . A/B comparisons are fine for deciding which one should I buy but it certainly discounts a lot of valuable information. Unfortunately these youtube videos are simple snapshots of what the gear can do, but we have nothing else to go on right now.

• Not discrediting anything you said but in other forums Doug Castro has addressed many of these questions head on. There are no longer any dropouts on scenes. Paul was using an earlier code. The button mappings will be changed based on user experience. More amps and effects to come. They are thinking of a 'save as' feature when trying to edit a factory preset as well as more global commands. Not sure of the 5 year comment. Kemper has come a long way in 10 years.

• I own a Kemper and was just playing it. You've got some bad facts in your reasons but that won't change why you won't buy it...but...

2 - They said they will change this and allow you to remove and/or save the presets as different edited versions.

3 - They fixed this from the video...but keep in mind changing "PRESETS" on any modeler has the gap. I think you need to understand what "SCENE" mode is because this is exactly how Helix, etc. do it to not have the gap. It's not a QC issue, it's all modelers.

• @CK is relaxed because he knows "normal people want what the superstars have".

For neural to break into this world (of really big names using the qc for touring) will be not easy.

I'd not say that. The product is aimed at 15-30 market range (I've made it up). It's generic design is very similar to an iphone. Their VST plugins are kind of legendary (I personally think no VST sounds better than these plugins).

I guess, depends on what you define as "big names". For QC target market, big names are Pilni, Abasi, Nolly and Gojira. If I were AxeFX, I'd be very concerned :)

I doubt Mark Knopfler will be using it tho.

Me personally, after seeing latest Rabea video, I'll go an try it (it's very easy for me). Usually I'd not even bother trying things like Helix etc.

I am not sure how long current gen QC will be relevant. If they come up with v2 in 2 years... I've been spoiled by CK strategy and having the same unit for 7+ years now.

CK created a classic, like Marshall, it took 10 years for something comparable to come out. Nobody is going to be able to top it, improve yes, but top, no.

Let's see if we have another guitar product from CK.

btw. many of those videos seems to have the same script, ending up with comparison to Kemper. I wonder if it came in QC box. ;)

• Maybe someone on this thread can answer this for me;

With commercial profiles, does the person call the profile done after the refinement stage?

Or would they tweak the kemper knobs to dial it in as close as possible?

With the Profiler you have MANY options to alter the profile even after the refinement stage.

1. Definition

2. Power Sagging

3. Pick

4. Compressor

5. Clarity

6. Tube Shape

7. Tube Bias

are all UNIQUE control parameters that allow you to refine the profile or even alter/modify it completely.

These controls are all missing from the QC.

A lot has been written about Kemper profiling vs. QC capturing.

At one point or the other, both units come close to the source amp.

But to make a profile all mine i.e. tweak it to my liking I have very often reached for the aforementioned controls.

I know I will miss them sorely on the QC because they just aren't there.

• I agree 1000%I would even lower the market range 15-25.Starting from cheap neural plug ins and ending this all up in their hardware "flagship" interface.

And yes the kemper remains the marshall of modelers..a serious tool.

But even marshall went from the JTM to the JMP to the 800..

Right now the KPA is the JTM of all profilers.We need new sounds.More possibilities.Beyond the usual stuff.And in the end the KPA is a digital tool.And digital stuff can give us a lot of possibilities guitar players have only dreamt of in the past till yet.

I am quite convinced that if @CK risks something in this direction (new sounds)he will again be a decade in front ..with the rest of the pack hunting him trying to "crack the code"..And it was fun watching this during the last years.

• I'd not like to live without definition and amp compressor.

• We have to assume that Mark Knopfler got pretty close to his preferred personal amplifier tones or he would not have toured with the Kemper. With all due respect, my top line gear decisions have always been made on the basis of how that equipment is put to use by beloved artists, not by internet influencers.

Anyway my guess is that only a tiny percentage of KPA users actually exploit the profiling feature on their own. And for ten years Kemper devotees have been listening to the rest of the internet malign the very nature of profiling (versus modeling).

The number one complaint has always been that there is no authentic recreation of the actual amp controls (component modeling etc.), that it’s only a snapshot. And yet now that same internet is going berserk over a new iteration of the profiling concept, but one that offers way less post-capture sculpting capabilities.

The Quad Cortex may offer an accurate capture, but my prediction is that all these people heralding that capability won’t even be using it once they own the device. They’ll be buying packs from Michael Britt and Tone Junkie and Bert M. I’m not a betting man, but I’m inclined to think that at least some of those fantastic commercial QC packs will be comprised of captures of, you got it, Kemper profiles.

:)

• There is to much hype.Fantasy about something so shiny new you don't have yet but you want desperately..it makes no sense to fight this.This is beyond GAS.

I also believe that as soon as it really hits the market and people have to find a fitting frfr,monitoring,power amp,interface..yeah...digging deep and working things out always kills hype..how many of the few amp models will work fine quality wise?How many "captures" will be available in the beginning?How long will it take to build everything up?

The KPA is not Mark Knopflers (and ofcourse all the others) choice because it has "good sound" and nails the profiles perfectly..it is also a serious,well thought out tool with a great,proven concept for gigging and recording.And we know this is true for every tiny detail.

I am really curious how much time the buyers of the qc will give neural to build everything up from the scratch kemper needed a whole decade for.

• From day 1 playing my Kemper I have made the sound getting better and better by knowing its features BUT this" cocked waw" as Rebea is saying I can't do anything and I have so many Kraken profiles that's unusable. Also many times Kemper is missing this openness.

I am glad Rabea proved this "cocked waw".

Its not bad to accept whats going on..

IF Mr. KEMPER solve these 2, we need nothing more...Kemper has still more analog sound

• With all due respect, my top line gear decisions have always been made on the basis of how that equipment is put to use by beloved artists, not by internet influencers.

but to the young generation Internet Influencers ARE the beloved artists.

I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised by what I have heard so far from the QC. I haven’t liked anything I’ve heard from their plugins as they all seem to be geared towards a very modern sound (Plini, Tosin Abasi, Nolly etc) where the hi gain is too distorted but tight and the cleans are too clean sparkly for my tastes. I live in the mid gain classic rock, soul, country, heavy rock world where cleans still have a bit of hair and character etc. That doesn’t make the Neural plugins bad;just not my taste. However, the edge of break up and crunch tones from the QC have sounded pretty vintage in many ways so far.

• I'd not like to live without definition and amp compressor.

The capture is represented as an amp block so you can still add whatever blocks you wish to it. EQ/compressor/gain for instance. It's not like the capture is the all in one. From what I have seen, captures vary greatly on the Kemper which is why I have about 20 JCM 800 profiles both paid and unpaid. I'm interested to see if the QC cloud will have the same.

• What for?

Everyone knows there is a captured little alien changing the tubes inside.

Dude! Did you even read the NDA? :)

[Blocked Image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/N7KXRjCGkX4/maxresdefault.jpg]

for those who remember the scene... happy weekend!

All hail G! All hail G! :)

And for those subscribing to the alien tube swapping theory, this confirms that OS9 will be heavily multithreaded.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• but to the young generation Internet Influencers ARE the beloved artists.

This is an excellent point. Not only the Internet influencers, but also the beat-centric / laptop production style music producers. When we were kids, to play the cool new music you wanted to be a guitar player. Today, you buy a laptop and some software.

Guitar has been diminishing in its importance to pop music for a couple of decades now. There are certain genres such as metal where it's still the center of attention, but it's nowhere near the dominant influence it was in days gone by.

In fact, regarding the discussion of the age demographics for a $1500 guitar gizmo, I don't think that 15 -25 is anywhere near the prime target. While there are doubtless many full time musicians here, I'd wager a guess that the overwhelming majority of Kemper owners are guys & girls with good day jobs and significant disposable income. Maybe we do some weekend gigs, but the gigs don't pay for expensive toys. For those who don't remember what it was like to work for minimum wage, $1500 is a helluva lot of money. For someone with a professional career, not so much.

I have a cool recording studio these days with all the guitars, amps (now bundled into a Kemper, of course), mics, software, outboard gear, etc. that I want. I routinely flip past the back 50% of music magazines that are today all product reviews, because I already have what I want (yes, I know, blasphemy!). But the joke I tell people is that this is the gear I would have killed for when I was playing for a living, but of course I couldn't afford it because I was playing for a living. One of the little ironies of being a musician.

While a good investment for pro musicians who can afford it, all these expensive shiny objects are not marketed toward the working class musician who has a hard enough time just paying the bills. They're aiming at weekend warrior guys like me who can afford to piss away a grand or two on a new toy just because it's fun.

As they used to say during the California Gold Rush, the real money isn't digging for gold - it's selling shovels.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10