Neural Quad Cortex

• So I have said that I belong to the guys that I can hear this cocked wah in some profiles especially in all my kraken packs. BUT I read somewhere these days that maybe the definition if rolled back (I took it from 10 to 5.0 and even lower to 4.0) it would help with this sound. So I tried that and I think it helped A LOT...I think that now my Kraken profiles sound as they supposed to sound, like the original amp sounds...I have to be sure about this and check it many times before being happy. (maybe this could be the general therapy)

• I am interested in how it does it’s cab and the ability to set up different mics. If it’s just an IR loader that ignores your real cab’s sound then bugger that. If instead it can separate cab from amp as the Kemper does and also allow you to virtually change the mic you used originally keeping your own cab and room in the picture then that would be impressive.

So far from what Doug Castro has said and from the information out so far on the QC, the Cab won't be able to be separated from the Amp in a full rig Capture. So if you're using the equivalent of a Studio Profile (an Amp+Cab Capture) then you're limited to that mic'd up cab sound. The ability to change, move, and blend mics and speakers doesn't work with a regular Capture. You can't even just mute or turn off the Captures Cab sound in a full rig Capture. You'd have to be using a Capture of an Amp only (the equivalent of a DI Profile) with no Cab in order to use the QC's Cabs with a Capture.

The Cabs in the QC are the same as the Neural DSP plugins and the ML Soundlab Mikko plugin. It's a bunch of IR's that are loaded up based on where you visually move the mics on the screen. Each mic placement, distance, and mic variation, is a different IR. So each QC Cab is a bunch of IR's with a cool visual UI to make it simple to pick and blend IR's (I think 2 mics or something in each Cab block)

• So I have said that I belong to the guys that I can hear this cocked wah in some profiles especially in all my kraken packs. BUT I read somewhere these days that maybe the definition if rolled back (I took it from 10 to 5.0 and even lower to 4.0) it would help with this sound. So I tried that and I think it helped A LOT...I think that now my Kraken profiles sound as they supposed to sound, like the original amp sounds...I have to be sure about this and check it many times before being happy. (maybe this could be the general therapy)

Very good.

With "modern high gain sounds"..first thing I do(and I can't remember any case during the last years I did not) is always rolling back definition and presence.This makes the profile sounding more natural.You let it "breathe".Rolling back presence (in my case) also helps with getting rid with a big portion of eventual fizz.And voila..in most cases it sounds amazing.Like the amp.Maybe even better(a little bit less fizz,noise gate etc)..

Many high gain profiles are "overloaded" with to much gain(compression) and extreme hf.So.."cocked wah" for me seems quite logical in many of these cases.

Btw..I many cases with these modern high gain profiles you don't need to roll definition to much back.If it is around 8-10 often rolling it back to 6-7 brings the best results "in the mix" for recordings/whole band without to loose "cut through" and "thumb" on the lower strings.What I do very often is also bringing up treble when I have to roll back presence to much to get rid of the fizz.

In most cases all this brings a very natural,dynamic modern high gain sound.

In general I think of the definition function as a "voicing" making modern sound more vintage/natural and ofcourse the opposite. I often turn the definition up to make a vintage profile sound more "direct" and "aggressive" mostly the way of getting a more direct attack and more "thumb".

• So far from what Doug Castro has said and from the information out so far on the QC, the Cab won't be able to be separated from the Amp in a full rig Capture. So if you're using the equivalent of a Studio Profile (an Amp+Cab Capture) then you're limited to that mic'd up cab sound. The ability to change, move, and blend mics and speakers doesn't work with a regular Capture. You can't even just mute or turn off the Captures Cab sound in a full rig Capture. You'd have to be using a Capture of an Amp only (the equivalent of a DI Profile) with no Cab in order to use the QC's Cabs with a Capture.

The Cabs in the QC are the same as the Neural DSP plugins and the ML Soundlab Mikko plugin. It's a bunch of IR's that are loaded up based on where you visually move the mics on the screen. Each mic placement, distance, and mic variation, is a different IR. So each QC Cab is a bunch of IR's with a cool visual UI to make it simple to pick and blend IR's (I think 2 mics or something in each Cab block)

The same way you can make a no-cab profile in the Kemper, you could do the same with the QC. Then do it with the cab mic'd up, and then you'd have both options. Potentially on two separate paths as one - one for monitoring through a real cab, and one for going to FOH.

Or put an IR after the no-cab capture and call it done.

• The cool thing with QC and Capturing a rig is this:

1. Captures seems to be very accurate at this point. So no worries, it is looking great.

2. What is even more exciting is, that the Modeled amps in QC are using this same machine learning technique as the Capture, but it goes even deeper and creates a ”fully authentic amp model” that behaves like the real deal.

Like always, we will see how this ends up going. But I am very excited at the moment!

Gear: Kemper Profiler | Neural DSP Plugins
    Guitars: .Strandberg*

• The cool thing with QC and Capturing a rig is this:

1. Captures seems to be very accurate at this point. So no worries, it is looking great.

2. What is even more exciting is, that the Modeled amps in QC are using this same machine learning technique as the Capture, but it goes even deeper and creates a ”fully authentic amp model” that behaves like the real deal.

Like always, we will see how this ends up going. But I am very excited at the moment!

Kemper's profiles are also accurate..

Now I am sure that if Rabea had roll back the definition knob from 10 to about 4 the Kemper would sound even more accurate. He said that Kemper adds more gain, more compressed and has this middle eq sound..exactly what Definition knob does..as you reach 10 it compresses the sound (making it tighter) adds little more gain and adds something in the middle..I want to upload here a test that I did and tell me what you think. I now believe that we haven't noticed for good what definition option does..we only focus that it tights up the sound.

Also about Cortex...I was listening that Neural plugins are equal or better than Kemper. So when I downloaded the plugins for testing them I heard this fizzy, aliasing sound, it was noticeable very flat and something weird about the gain..

So we have to test them and see in our hand if its good. Eventhough if it is good, until now it is noticeable that it suffers from aliasing ( ok maybe some guys again can't listen the aliasing..ok..)...

Kemper its awesome...I would ask some upgrade with the IRs / Cab section..

Kemper sounds more analog than Neural stuff until now..my opinion

• Nothing wrong with owning "both" units if you can afford it. I really like the tones and especially the functionality of the QC, and it will be another good tool in our guitar arsenal. And remember, without competition, there isn't any reason to compete. ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Im just keen to see what the users on here think after using the QC as I trust them over youtubers.

I think endless debates on caputre/profilining accruacy is premature at the moment but if it drives innovation like auto refining( ???) then great.

Ultimately we all want great sounds with minimal fuss.

• I profiled a Pete Cornish G2 pedal I had years ago before I sold it.Kemper did a pretty good job as far as I can remember.Only problem is that I could never try it into an amp on the KPA ( until I bought a second one ! )

Maybe a future update ( or processor upgrade ):whistling:

• I profiled a Pete Cornish G2 pedal I had years ago before I sold it.Kemper did a pretty good job as far as I can remember.Only problem is that I could never try it into an amp on the KPA ( until I bought a second one ! )

Maybe a future update ( or processor upgrade ):whistling:

How you do that? I mean, you can profile a pedal but it has to be atached to an amp.

Doug said on Discord that

Captures and presets can only be shared through the cloud. We want to encourage people to sell presets and captures, but it'll have to got through us.

The main reasons here is ensuring an amazing user experience (no unzipping files, connecting USB cables or copying files on a dongle), and also IP protection for the authors.

LOL

Getting more and more disgusting.

• Why is that LOL?

Because if they choose to enforce a commission then you can't do anything about it.

If they apply a commission then the prices would be higher to cover for said commission .

If a seller is not approved to sell profiles then he won't be able to do it.

If you are not connected to the Internet, there's no way to load profiles.

If you are part of a profiles sharing community then there will be no way to privately share your profiles exclusively in that group.

Not to mention that it might lead to NDSP selling "premium" captures as well.

You can't save a backup of your collection offline.

You need an account just to browse profiles.

You won't be able to sell your QC with your profiles because they will be linked to your account.

Etc, etc ...