Neural Quad Cortex

• No more constraints than Apple, Microsoft Office

If I make a capture with the Quad Cortex, I can only upload or download it from the cloud. If I make music with an iPhone app, I'm not limited to uploading or downloading it from iTunes. Same with Microsoft Office.

Ever buy gasoline these days with cash? I can't remember the last time I did that. So you gonna walk cause you don't trust a digital gas pump?

No, but you have the option of paying with cash.

• Well, yea if both units require time to tweak/refine/capture their best tones, and you take that time away from one of them then you have ruined the comparison test, have you not? I did not allow for that with the Kemper because I was basing the time allowed only from the QC's perspective. I have since been "notified" that refining Kemper's tone properly may take a longer period of time, and that's what I think Bea should allow/redo. Or did you mean something else?

Again, time should not matter in the sense that you should use as much time as you need to have the best possible result. Actually, Rabea posted a new video capturing pedals on the QC. The results were not as good as with the the amps and he invested some time tweaking the capture (using his ears) until he was satisfied to get it closer to the original tone. Not sure why he did not do that on the comparison video.

• Again, time should not matter in the sense that you should use as much time as you need to have the best possible result.

Well, I guess in the video there wasn't enough time. I thought the pedal capturing was great and really close if it's the same one I saw.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• f I make a capture with the Quad Cortex, I can only upload or download it from the cloud. If I make music with an iPhone app, I'm not limited to uploading or downloading it from iTunes. Same with Microsoft Office.

You make music with Mircosoft Office? Kewl! :D

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

• You make music with Mircosoft Office?

Yes.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well, I guess in the video there wasn't enough time. I thought the pedal capturing was great and really close if it's the same one I saw.

I guess the question is what is the purpose of the video? Is it to show the accuracy of the capture vs Profile process as a single step process or which you can get closest to the reference amp regardless of tweaking, time and effort involved etc ? I suspect this level of thought has not gone into it and he's just done what he thinks he should do. Ease has to be a factor in this debate, but the question is how much of a factor...

I don't think there is anything underhand here but I also think Rabea is not going to pull out all the stops to get the best sound out of the KPA when he is demoing the Quad. He is promoting the Quad, not doing a comparison video, so there will always be some level of skew regardless. If the KPA had sounded better, I wouldn't expect to see that video.....

Should we go back and ask him to spend the "missing" 3 mins refining? Nah. I already know the KPA can profile really well, I don't need that proving or disproving. BTW Rabea's already told me that so many times in previous videos.......

I don;t think we should get so hung up about this level of intricacy...as mentioned many posts before, we all know amazing sounds are possible with the KPA.

I've always said, if my KPA doesn't sound good, its me not the unit - whether due to me not understanding the setting it up properly or my playing.

The QC is a good unit, real user time will tell if its any good, not promo videos.....

• His video was a paid sponsored video. There is nothing else to elaborate. He got paid to push the QC ahead of the Kemper which was the competing product. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. It's not complicated.

• Sound quality of the amps and effects is paramount for me. However, the revelation that the QC will be dependent on the Neural Cloud for backups, captures, etc., will be the deal breaker for me. I don't have or allow any cellular, WiFi or Bluetooth activity in my "studio" when making music.

Sort of like that Oculus VR headset that require connection to and an account on Facebook just to use. Nope!

Nope, no way, not in my backyard! Sad choice IMHO by Neural.

Im out as well,, if that is the case,,,

• Im out as well,, if that is the case,,,

That is the case. The following is a quote from Doug Castro that someone posted on The Gear Page:

"Captures and presets can only be shared through the cloud. We want to encourage people to sell presets and captures, but it'll have to got through us. The main reasons here is ensuring an amazing user experience (no unzipping files, connecting USB cables or copying files on a dongle), and also IP protection for the authors."

• I don't think there is anything underhand here but I also think Rabea is not going to pull out all the stops to get the best sound out of the KPA when he is demoing the Quad. He is promoting the Quad, not doing a comparison video, so there will always be some level of skew regardless. If the KPA had sounded better, I wouldn't expect to see that video.....

There are many here that feel the same way. I don't want to accuse yet because there is no hard proof of that, but its not impossible either. He seems like a nice guy and a good player. And just because he found a box that sounds better to him (and in some cases me too) doesn't make him a fraud.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. It's not complicated.

It's easy to say he did this too. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be wrong about that either, and that sure isn't complicated. All I'm saying is giving anyone the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise. If he got paid to do this and I find out it's true, I'll be the first to say so here.

I'm out as well, if that is the case

Please explain why this is so bad an idea?...

So if the cloud backup and sharing methods are there to promote "free shares" AND "legit sales" and stop the stealing (on paid for 3rd party presets much like MBritt and others here do now) of software, what's wrong with that? Not sure about presets yet but all you do is set up the "capture" you made to be free or private at the time it is uploaded to the cloud, so you will have a choice in what you want to do with whatever you create at least from what I have read so far. Storage, sales, or free is supposed to be your choice before (or at the time of) the upload. So I don't understand why this is such a bad idea?

Edited once, last by spikey ().

• His video was a paid sponsored video. There is nothing else to elaborate. He got paid to push the QC ahead of the Kemper which was the competing product. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. It's not complicated.

Fact is he disclosed that he is getting paid for promotional videos and imo he had no interest in showing a legit comparison. The first video where he forgot to refine is even more proof that this is the case. It doesn't take such a high iq to understand that someone who sold commercial profiles would not forget how to do it properly.

Some people prefer a sweet lie rather than accepting the hard truth especially if they are emotionally/financially involved.

• Fact is he disclosed that he is getting paid for promotional videos and imo he had no interest in showing a legit comparison.

Link?

• Link?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Starting at 1:49

:)

• Yep, he says he gets paid I agree. He also says he wouldn't throw the Kemper under the bus (in a matter of speaking). So I guess we believe what we want at this point. :)

• I don't understand why this is such a bad idea?

"Cloud only" has always been a bad idea and will always be a bad idea. What do you do if the cloud is down for technical issues or maintenance right when you need it? What if the cloud isn't accessible from where you are in a specific moment? Anyone remember Leroy Miller for example? He spends considerable time (winter) in an off-grid cabin somewhere in Montana. I'm sure he would be a huge fan of "cloud only" solutions ... NOT. What if Neural DSP decide to close down the cloud, e.g. a year after they announce EOL for the product? You'll be happy with pretty much a brick?

Seriously, it's not so hard to see the downsides of depending on the mercy of something that's not under your control. I don't mind a cloud service as an option (for those who want) ... but no way, I would accept it as the only way to go.

• Because users may not be able to access their own library at times.

I have "tons" of profiles saved on the cloud right now that's not in my kemper. I can't get to those either if my ISP is down. What's the difference?