Neural Quad Cortex

• Hate to say it but it's the equivalent of hopping on a Democrat forum espousing the merits of Trump and vice versa. You get the same adversarial response. Teams on both sides are in defensive mode. It's a human reaction. It happens. Only you can decide to take part or not. Neither side is going to convince the other that they are right.

• For the record I didn't mean this is the wrong part of the Kemper forum to discuss. I meant that this sort of thread about a competing product is likely to get ugly. I could be wrong...

Too late it already got ugly, but thanks for saying that. The thing is we should be able to have a conversation about these products without blowing snot bubbles at each other (me included) or predicting doom and gloom about anything when we really don't know the outcome. And finally (no pun intended) the amusing part for me is I'm not even getting a QC now (I have none on pre-order), but I believe it's alright to discuss it here in the proper thread, and obviously so does Mr. Kemper. And +1000 for that.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Hate to say it but it's the equivalent of hopping on a Democrat forum espousing the merits of Trump and vice versa. You get the same adversarial response. Teams on both sides are in defensive mode. It's a human reaction. It happens. Only you can decide to take part or not. Neither side is going to convince the other that they are right.

True! Everyone here also has a financial interest in the perception of the Kemper brand due to the resale value.

• I'm most curious about the speculation that the Neural QC's capture technology will somehow obviate the need to mic up an amp properly. Does anyone have the skinny on how that would work?

no idea. Their manual clearly shows the cabinet being mic'd as part of the capture process on page 68.

True! Everyone here also has a financial interest in the perception of the Kemper brand due to the resale value.

that's been my main interest in the whole thing. If the used market starts to tank price wise, I want to know about it.

Look, the kemper sounds great. could the foot controller use some work? (scribble strips and such) sure. If Kemper is not to release another product and I can get similar results from a friendlier interface I'm all for it.

• If you watch the lastest MBritt video called "MBritt's Kemper profiling secrets" you can clearly hear differences between the Kemper and the real amp (listening with APS Klasik 2020 studio monitors). Don't get me wrong please, it's not night and day!! Maybe Kemper even sounds better. But if you focus on "authenticity" it is not 99 % and only 1 % missing here. Mr. Britt himself is hearing it and calling it mid hump. That is what some people mean, when they talk about recognizing the Kemper because of some TS like sound.

So it seems that even Mr. Britt has to improve on refining than?

• I'm most curious about the speculation that the Neural QC's capture technology will somehow obviate the need to mic up an amp properly. Does anyone have the skinny on how that would work?

I'm not sure if I understand the question but it is my understanding that you can make Direct Amp captures, then use the internal cabs or import cab IR's.

• If you watch the lastest MBritt video called "MBritt's Kemper profiling secrets" you can clearly hear differences between the Kemper and the real amp (listening with APS Klasik 2020 studio monitors). Don't get me wrong please, it's not night and day!! Maybe Kemper even sounds better. But if you focus on "authenticity" it is not 99 % and only 1 % missing here. Mr. Britt himself is hearing it and calling it mid hump. That is what some people mean, when they talk about recognizing the Kemper because of some TS like sound.

So it seems that even Mr. Britt has to improve on refining than?

I guess what I have been saying for some time is that I can't imagine that many people are as concerned with capturing exactly what the amp does as much as they want to capture the essence of the amp and then tweak it to a sound they find even more pleasing than the amp.

I would bet that people that play live with tube amps don't have identical sound from night to night. I know I didn't.

• I would bet that people that play live with tube amps don't have identical sound from night to night. I know I didn't.

Consistency is one of the advantages of amp sims. When recording, I think it's more efficient and convenient to be able to accurately capture all of the nuances of a specific tone rather than have to fidget with tone shaping tools after the fact to match the source.

• I guess what I have been saying for some time is that I can't imagine that many people are as concerned with capturing exactly what the amp does as much as they want to capture the essence of the amp and then tweak it to a sound they find even more pleasing than the amp.

I would bet that people that play live with tube amps don't have identical sound from night to night. I know I didn't.

Sure. But when I dial in a nice tone with balanced mids or slightly scooped mids and the result is a profile that has a TS like mid hump, slightly different bass response, sligthly different highs and not exactly the same amount of gain. Well, that would mean every profiling is a surprise package. That would also not make a great advertising: "Profile your gear and be surprised how it sounds slightly different after!"

When Mr. Britt says he almost likes the Kemper profile better than the source tone, this is also proof that (his) profile is not sounding 99 % as the source. I think when he is so talented to dial in such great tone, it would be nice when it gets captured as best and close as possible.

I really think his video doesn't help Kemper atm. Critics will now say to us Kemperists: Look and listen, even your most beloved profiling master is not able to get a perfect capture of the source amp.

• Sure. But when I dial in a nice tone with balanced mids or slightly scooped mids and the result is a profile that has a TS like mid hump, slightly different bass response, sligthly different highs and not exactly the same amount of gain. Well, that would mean every profiling is a surprise package. That would also not make a great advertising: "Profile your gear and be surprised how it sounds slightly different after!"

When Mr. Britt says he almost likes the Kemper profile better than the source tone, this is also proof that (his) profile is not sounding 99 % as the source. I think when he is so talented to dial in such great tone, it would be nice when it gets captured as best and close as possible.

I really think his video doesn't help Kemper atm. Critics will now say to us Kemperists: Look and listen, even your most beloved profiling master is not able to get a perfect capture of the source amp.

Fair enough. There are quite a few videos out there where the KPA is so close to the amp it profiled that even listening carefully in a recording over and over again, it is impossible to hear any difference.

My only point is that a perfect copy isn't needed for most people as long as the copy sounds great or can be made to sound great with the tools provided. The copy gets you really really close though.

The issue I see with the NQC is that it has very little in the area of tools to fix the amp capture after the fact.

• I'm not sure if I understand the question but it is my understanding that you can make Direct Amp captures, then use the internal cabs or import cab IR's.

You can do this with the Kemper as well, so that isn't something revolutionary. Just profile with the Kemper DI box and make a direct profile, then add any cab you like.

Sure. But when I dial in a nice tone with balanced mids or slightly scooped mids and the result is a profile that has a TS like mid hump, slightly different bass response, sligthly different highs and not exactly the same amount of gain. Well, that would mean every profiling is a surprise package. That would also not make a great advertising: "Profile your gear and be surprised how it sounds slightly different after!"

That's an interesting observation, thanks for pointing it out. Other users have also referred to a certain character to the Kemper's profiles.

• You can do this with the Kemper as well, so that isn't something revolutionary. Just profile with the Kemper DI box and make a direct profile, then add any cab you like.

Yes, but it's not the same, the Kemper doesn't convert/load IR's accurately, they sound very different once imported into the Kemper.

• Yes, but it's not the same, the Kemper doesn't convert/load IR's accurately, they sound very different once imported into the Kemper.

I imported a few IR's directly into Rig Manager via drag and drop from a Windows Explorer folder and then drag and dropped one of them onto the Cab section in Rig Manager, then compared it with the same IR in the Axe-Fx III. I'm honestly not hearing any notable difference. What kind of differences are you hearing?

• I imported a few IR's directly into Rig Manager via drag and drop from a Windows Explorer folder and then drag and dropped one of them onto the Cab section in Rig Manager, then compared it with the same IR in the Axe-Fx III. I'm honestly not hearing any notable difference. What kind of differences are you hearing?

It's been a long time since I tried it, back then I used the IR conversion utility to convert the IR into a Kemper cab. Then for reference I ran the same IR in a Torpedo Live and compared the two. Maybe they have improved it since then?

• It's been a long time since I tried it, back then I used the IR conversion utility to convert the IR into a Kemper cab. Then for reference I ran the same IR in a Torpedo Live and compared the two. Maybe they have improved it since then?

Could be. This is the first time I've imported IR's into the KPA using Rig Manager. I didn't merge them, though.